View Poll Results: Which was the best? And why do you say so?

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atari 2600

28 8.51%
  • Atari 5200

4 1.22%
  • Atari 7800

2 0.61%
  • ColecoVision

4 1.22%
  • Dreamcast

36 10.94%
  • Genesis

20 6.08%
  • Intellivision

5 1.52%
  • Jaguar

1 0.30%
  • Neo-Geo

12 3.65%
  • Nintendo 64

13 3.95%
  • Nintendo NES

78 23.71%
  • Odyssey2

5 1.52%
  • PlayStation

17 5.17%
  • Saturn

13 3.95%
  • Sega CD

3 0.91%
  • Sega Master System

5 1.52%
  • Super NES

69 20.97%
  • Turbografx-16

8 2.43%
  • Vectrex

1 0.30%
  • OTHER (You missed one, DP!)

5 1.52%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best. Game Console. Ever

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Best. Game Console. Ever

Let's all argue with one another and see who wins this popularity contest among US game consoles. I've chosen systems that would be considered "contenders" and who are not presently active (or not very - you can't stop homebrews and PS1 releases are still trickling out). If your favorite system isn't listed here then choose "other" and tell us what it is. I know at least one person who would pick 3DO and one who would pick Astrocade. They're in white jackets with long sleeves tied together at the back, but they'd still choose that way.

If someone wants to put up a poll of computer-style game systems, import system, or handhelds, be my guest.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe it DP forgot 32X :shock: (not counting current system or portable)

Anyway my fav is SNES because of the great collection of RPG games available.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Puh-leeeeezzz. Anyone who doesn't vote for the Anchor that *is* the Atari 2600 needs to pull his or her head out.

The 2600 is the Best Console Ever for a zillion reasons, including:

1. It launched the home console revolution. Oh sure, it might not have been *first,* but it was the one that was in every home.
    2. People are STILL programming for it, 20+ years after its release.
    3. Almost every game had "pick-up-and-play" simplisity. You diidn't need a degree in "Advanced BattleTech Mechanics" to figure out the freakin' gameplay.
    4. And, if you *did* want a bit of complexity, it was capable of games like Space Shuttle.
    5. The system and carts are damn near indestructable. Drop a 2600 down a flight of stairs. Now drop your PS2/GC/XBox down that same flight of stairs. Any bets on which will boot up?
    6. The word "Atari" was synomonous with videogaming in its day. Other than "Nintendo (the NES)," no other system reached this degree of acceptance into the lexicon.

I could go on and on, but I think my point is made. So there. Nyah.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I can't believe he left out 3DO! I mean, what, are we supposed to forget that classics like "Way of the Warrior", "Shadow: War of Succession" and "DinoPark Tycoon" were ever made?!

Oh yeah. Nevermind.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was doubting between psx, master system and dreamcast, because they all have very good games.
    I voted playstation because it has the most good games. More than than the master system and the dreamcast put together! almost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari 2600, becqause of what sniderman said. Without it, we wouldn't even be here arguing this.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COMMODORE=64. It has the most games (and variety) of any system. Everything from Tic-Tac-Toe to Bard's Tale RPGs. I'd be perfectly happy to play nothing but the C=64 for the rest of my life. No other system would be that entertaining (not even PS2).

Runner-Up: Playstation 1. It has many of the same qualities as the C=64... mainly variety of games... and looooong loading times! ;-)
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari is certainly the most historically important and Super NES had some fantastic RPG's, but the best overall system is the Sony Playstation.

Ask if they have videogames at the flea market...they don't say "nintendo games" or "some ataris", but "you mean Playstation"?

Look up which system sold 100 million worldwide and is still outselling every active system but the PS2.

See which system had 1140-something titles so far, tons more than any other system.

See which system won in all three territories.

See which system has strong games in every category, redifined "racing", was the first with music games, the system that broke survival horror, the system that introduces the concept of 3d to sports, the system that has a wealth of great 2d and 3d RPG's, the system that killed cartrdges, the system that gave us the dual sticks.

The system with Vagrant Story, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Madden, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape and so many more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Snider really hit the nail on the head about the Atari 2600. It may be one of the most important in the history, but I can't say it was the BEST (as this is what the topic is about). I'd have to say the best is the Nintendo Entertainment System.

1.) It brought console video games back to life in the eyes of consumers after the crash.

2.) Truely established the side scroll platformer whose roots continue to be a staple in today's games. Of course one could say this was "infamous" as a metric ton of side scroller copy-cats were available on the NES.

3.) Made the game pad controller standard for future systems. To this day, every standard controller (ie not a flight stick or DDR pad, you know what I mean) you find, may it be PC or console, has a cross-style thumb pad and some sort of Start button.

4.) Established control on titles (ie licensing). Yeah, it was militaristic, but it kept the NES going the way of the Atari 2600. Sure we still got drek, but it came in limited quantities. Now it's common practice (along with getting extra spunduli from companies who want to make stuff for their system.

Damn, out of time. Hafta go. That's my 2 zenny thus far.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

:wink: The PC, of course !! :wink:

It has more games than any of the others, backward compatibility with many earlier versions, CD and DVD support, online gaming, etc.. What more could you want?!? :lol: And if set up correctly, itcan BE most of the other systems! :lol:

Really, though, it would be a tough choice. There are just too many ones that I enjoy to really cast a vote for just one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best ever

Well, that's a loaded question. Loaded with dynamite. Still, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Probably the most significant and important two systems, and perhaps therefore the "best", would be the Atari 2600 and the NES. Sniderman and Yoshi pretty much captured the essence of the systems in each of their arguments respectively. I would go so far as to label each of them as being the dominant paradigm of their respective eras. They transcended their own identity and became symbols of videogaming in general.

HOWEVER, for whatever reason, the Atari 5200 is still and always has been my FAVORITE system, and that is what I voted for. The controllers suck, no question, but once you get some third party controllers (I've got the WICO, the Competition Pro, and the Masterplay Interface), you're rockin'. Nearly all the games are OUTSTANDING. There's just something about the system I love. Being able to play Missile Command with a trakball is bliss, Montezuma's Revenge kicks butt... I could go on. But I won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Top systems

As an addendum to my previous post, here is my somewhat schizophrenic "Top Four Favorite Video Game Systems" list.

4. Sony Playstation and Sega Master System (tie)
    3 1/2. Commodore 64
    3. Colecovision and Intellivision (tie)
    2. Atari 2600 and NES (tie)
    1. Atari 5200*

* You could probably lump the 5200 with the entire Atari 8-bit family. Maybe I just should have listed that. Oh well.
    ** My very favorite game is Super Metroid for SNES; ironically, however, I liked very few games for that system, so it didn't make the cut.
    *** I am aware that there are 8 systems in my "Top 4" list. I'm OK with it. And so are you.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Favorite systems
    1. N.E.S.
    2. Playstation
    3. Sega Genesis
    4. Colecovision
    5. Atari 2600

Atari 2600 is a great system and has some great games. Unfortunately I have limited space to have my systems set up and out of the 18 different systems I own I have the N.E.S., Playstation, and Sega Genesis set up and ready to play. I always play games on these 3 systems.
    N.E.S - 700+
    Genesis - 300+
    PS1 - 500+
    Dreamcast - 100+
    Atari 2600 - 100
    3DO - 100
    Sega CD - 100
    SNES - 100
    others - 1000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although 5200 has always been my absolute sentimental favorite, I can't vote it as the "best system of all time" in good concsience. There were just too few games!

I also think the Dreamcast is a great system due to the fact that a lot of other consoles are playable on it via emulation, but on that criteria you could also potentially lump in the Xbox.

So yeah, I agree that it comes down to either the 2600 or the NES for the title. What a hard choice! :P It's really close in my mind, but I'm going to have to vote... 2600.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The master system 'cause it was my first encounter with the fabulous video games system world.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ventrra
    :wink: The PC has more games than any of the others, backward compatibility with many earlier versions...
    It does?!? Then how come I can't get Battle Chess or Wing Commander to work? I'd have to say the PC is the WORST gaming platform, because it's such a pain-in-the-ass to make it do anything. It's not plug'n'play simplicity like C=64, Amiga500, or Playstation.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would go so far as to label each of them as being the dominant paradigm of their respective eras. They transcended their own identity and became symbols of videogaming in general.
    oooOOOOoooo! Somebody went to Smart School!

I know I ranted about the historical significance of the Atari, but that was a factor I considered when I called it "the best console." I also think the Betamax should've kicked the VHS' ass....but look where that attitude - and $1,000s worth of Beta videos - got me.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Had to vote 2600!

Second and Third Choices would be Commodore 64, then Amiga 500/2000.

The simple reasons are that these were my choices during my formitive years, and they still give me the warm and fuzzies...

NES is cool, but I didn't have one till it was over (did play it at friends houses). N64 was the first Nintendo I bought "new"...

Cheers,
    le geek
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theaving said:
    Then how come I can't get Battle Chess or Wing Commander to work?
    Interesting. Wing Commander (the original) works fine on my Athlon XP 2000+ / GeForce4 / Windows XP machine.