Thread: Rarity of Namco's Pac-Man Versus edition games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rarity of Namco's Pac-Man Versus edition games

Joe's thread on "Greatest Hits" versions of games prompted a question on how the completists out there would get Pac-Man Versus without getting Pac-Man World 2 in the "Players Choice" case. Another member stated that Pac-Man Versus also came in a special version of R: Racing Evolution. Now that I recall it may have also come in a special version of I-Ninja as well. The problem is, I've never seen either of the special version of these games in the stores. Does anyone have any idea how many were made and where is a good place to look for them (other than ebay)? Do you think these versions will be harder to find when the Gamecube eventually becomes collectible like the retro consoles nowadays? I know the Pac-Man World 2 versions are all over the place and easy to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

With those games, I'm pretty sure they just handed out the pac-man vs in it's demo disc sleeve. Which could technically be considered a packaging variation.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Your best bet at this point is to hit every GameStop/EB games in your area. Chances are they might have one or two of the original Pac Man VS. lying around. Now when I say original I mean the Pac Man VS' that where produced in the CD sleeve type case and was given out when people reserved I-Ninja for the Cube.

As far as rarity goes, I'd have to say the CD sleeve Pac-man VS and R: Racing pack in Pac-man VS are going to be the two hardest to find. (R:racing verision being the hardest in my opinion)

I could have swore I saw a R: Racing verision with the Pac-Man VS included at a local Best Buy, you might want to give them a shot. Anyways I hope this answers some of your questions.

Game ON,
    DigitPress Jim
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Default Re: Rarity of Namco's Pac-Man Versus edition games

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Joe's thread on "Greatest Hits" versions of games prompted a question on how the completists out there would get Pac-Man Versus without getting Pac-Man World 2 in the "Players Choice" case. Another member stated that Pac-Man Versus also came in a special version of R: Racing Evolution. Now that I recall it may have also come in a special version of I-Ninja as well. The problem is, I've never seen either of the special version of these games in the stores. Does anyone have any idea how many were made and where is a good place to look for them (other than ebay)? Do you think these versions will be harder to find when the Gamecube eventually becomes collectible like the retro consoles nowadays? I know the Pac-Man World 2 versions are all over the place and easy to find.
    Hi, yeah that would be me.

The R: Racing Evolution that I bought had it packed inside, and the only conotation that it even had anything in it was this little sticker that said that it had the bonus game disc inside. I didnt even notice that they had bundled it in, until an employee at my local indy shop showed me when he saw me grabbing GCN games, as i was going into a little spree, trying to sell me something other than a Nintendo exclusive. They most likely had that copy from when it first came out, back in December or whenever (I can ask next time i go in, probably Tues). I know that they did push it loose , but ive never seen for sale in the stores, unlike the Zelda bonus games, and dont even know what a loose copy looks like.

Im gonna go and check my local Besy Buy/ Circuit City stores, as well as the Wal*Mart that ill be working @ tomorrow. (Ive got hope for this Wal*Mart having it, only cause I found a variant of 1080 Avalanche there that I didnt even know existed, which included a bonus DVD that had a Cauterize music video and some other crap on it). I'll be on the lookout for an I*Ninja with the Pac-Man Pac in too (ooh bad joke, Oh i kill me)
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Sorry for the double post, but doing this is faster than the "edit" function.

The SKU for the R: Racing Evolution is 722674300018, just in case the regular version might be different.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine for Christmas with i-Ninja. It came seperately, sealed inside a little cardboard sleeve. I believe i-Ninja buyers had to pre-order the game, but I'm not sure offhand, as, again, I got it as a gift.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

having worked at Gamestop during this promotion:

I-Ninja - had the packin cardboard sleeve version, wasn't actually in the case.

Pac Man World 2 - actually inside the case, a double-disc case.

R: Racing Evolution - Double disc case, PMV was inside the case.

I imagine the R: Racing Evolution would be the rarer alt form, since I believe later versions no longer have pac man vs. while pac man world 2 will continue to have the 2 discs.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    having worked at Gamestop during this promotion:

I-Ninja - had the packin cardboard sleeve version, wasn't actually in the case.

Pac Man World 2 - actually inside the case, a double-disc case.

R: Racing Evolution - Double disc case, PMV was inside the case.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Looking at the loose discs for the three different offerings, is there any noticeable difference? I'd imagine the SKU is different? How about the label on the disk itself?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

the disc that came in a cardboard sleeve w/ the I-Ninja are the same discs as are in R: Racing Evolution and Pac Man World 2. The instructions and such are all the same as well (in the case pack-ins, have fun getting mint instructions, it looks like Namco often just jammed them in there as they don't quite fit properly).

There are sku differences between PMW2 and the one with the PMV disc, however R: Racing Evolution skus are not different. I can't make that clear enough, only the first print run has them, and they had a little sticker on the plastic shrinkwrapping to let you know that it has the disc. Basically, your only sure way to get this is having a sealed one you know has the sticker on it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Went to Best Buy today and picked up R: Racing Evolution for $29.99. There is a small (about 1-2 square inches) yellow sticker in the upper right had corner that says: "Bonus Game Disc Inside Pac-Man Vs." The UPC is:
    "7 22674 30001 8"

If anyone wants one of these, they had about 4 more. Let me know.