Thread: Video Game Postage Stamps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Video Game Postage Stamps

I wish this topic could tell you all that series of video game stamps is scheduled to debut, but I don't think that such a thing has ever even existed. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Maybe the USPS doesn't do it because it would be too costly to procure the licenses. They tend to stick with public domain or low-cost licensing (e.g. comic strips). I'm not a stamp collector, but I would probably buy several complete sets if such a thing existed; they would make great decorations!

I'm picturing a "vintage set," featuring popular classics such as PacMan and Mario Bros.. They could follow up with a modern one to get the kids interested, perhaps with Pokémon. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they did come out with a stamp in one of the decades sets.if i remember right it had a picture of an atari 2600 system.

Rick

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I believe the general rule of thumb with the USPS is that someone has to be dead for fiddy years before they're even eligible to grace a stamp. By that measure it applies to other 'personalities' as well in that they just did recently start using Loony Tunes (Bugs Bunny in what, 1995, 96?)

Inventions and non-people subjects I can't really say, but when the Commemorative Stamp Committee takes 18 years just to approve a series of precious minerals in 1992.. x_x

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're thinking of the USPS' Celebrate the Century stamps. The "1980s" had a videogame stamp. Here ya go:

Here's the site.
    http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/ctc.htm
    They even had personal computers and virtual reality stamps. Some coool stuff, but nothing beats a 2600 with Defender on a postage stamp!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

That's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Inventions and non-people subjects I can't really say, but when the Commemorative Stamp Committee takes 18 years just to approve a series of precious minerals in 1992.. x_x
    Heh. Sheesh.