Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My streak of buying systems on launch day is going to end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My streak of buying systems on launch day is going to end

Before I became a "retro gamer" in late May of 2003, I was a early adopter. I was always looking forward to the next big thing. Always looking forward to the release of the next gaming super system. And when they finally did show up, I was there on day one with cash in hand. I always wanted to experience the latest and greatest on the very first day.

Here are some of the systems that I bought on their very first day of availability:

Super Nintendo
    Sega CD
    Atari Jaguar
    Sega 32X
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo 64
    Sega Dreamcast
    PS2
    XBOX
    GameCube

I bought everyone of those systems on the first day of release. Quite a little streak if I say so myself.

But unfortunately that streak is going to come to an end.

Why?

Well, the fact that I've gone "retro" is a huge factor of why I'm not going to buy on launch. I just don't have the same passion for the newest technology anymore. I'm still going to be very interested, and excited, about the new systems when they get here. But I'm just not going to be that excited, where I'm willing to spend 400 plus bucks in one freaking day.

I think when the XBOX came out, I spent like $550 total cash on that first day. I got the system, a bunch of games, and some accessories, and next thing you know the total was like $568.43.

Had I not gone "retro", I'm sure that I would be in line with everybody else on launch day for XBOX 2, PS3 and GameCube 2.

But after going retro, I just can't fathom spending that much cache on a new video game system. I've grown accustomed to playing $20 to $50 for these older systems. And paying $2 to $20 for the games. So it's just going to be extremely difficult for me to fork over such serious cash. Especially, when I would be thinking about how many old classic games and stuff that it could possibly buy me.

That's one of the reasons that I don't have a PS2 right now. I bought one the day it came out, but ended up selling it later on down the road because I was dissapointed in it's performance at the time. I wouldn't mind having one again, but until I stumble upon a used one for $75 or less, I doubt I will get one. I just don't have that level of enthusiasm any more for the new crap.

However, I will be very interested in the new stuff. I'm sure I will spend a few days at my buddies homes checking out the new wares. I have a number of friends that are hard core early adopters and they never went retro like me. In fact, they think I'm crazy. I can guarantee that they will have a XBOX 2, PS3 and GameCube 2 the moment they are available. So I'm going to just have to check them out over at their house.

I am curious to see how these new systems are going to be. Especially how they take advantage of HDTV's. I really feel that the next big thing in gaming is going to be a

REVOLUTION IN RESOLUTION

HDTV"s continue to have their prices drop, and by late 2006 when these systems hit the scene, the prices will be even lower and lower. More and more people will have Widescreen HDTV's in their houses. I'm sure that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are very aware of this, and I'm sure that their next machines will take full and total advantage of Widescreen and HDTV resolutions and the latest in Dolby Digital sound. I'm definitely curious to check that out. But does that mean I will be taking a trip to a ATM machine on launch day?

Unfortunately no. Since 1991 I've bought just about every single system on launch day (except the 3DO) and in late 2005 or late 2006, the streak will be broken. In a way it's kinda sad. Launch days were always really special times. But hey, that's the way it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I've never bought a system on launch day, ever. There's been a few games I've bought on their launch day, but not systems. It always works out that I never seem to have the cash when a system is launched, plus I always have a huge backlog of games that I'm playing anyway....so I've just never really been in a mad rush to have the latest and greatest.

Hell, I got my PS2 three months after launch and it was still pure pandemonium at that time. The owner of the store where I bought it asked if I wanted someone to walk with me out to my car because there was a group of guys also in the store that looked ready to pounce on my new PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I can understand why it might be sad in a way. Launch days have so much ceremony about them--waking up early, competing for a spot in line, etc. The ceremony itself makes it real fun, until (as mentioned) you realize that you payed too much for too little.

But, hey. I don't have anything against the pomp of launch days. Though, I've only had one system purchased at launch. That was an N64.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never bought a system on launch day. I did get my Genesis and PS2 the first week. Never really saw the point in waiting inline for a system.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I know what you mean, in a way. The only console I ever bought on launch day was the GBA SP, and even then I only bought the original GBA a few months after its release. The only current-gen console I ever bought (save for the GBC and the GBA) is the GameCube. All the other consoles were previous-gen. I got an Atari 2600 in 1987, when everyone were getting NESs (and some others the Sega Master System or the Atari 7800), I got the SNES a few months before the N64 came out, I got the PlayStation after it was re-released as the PSOne...

And even in the case of the GCN, I bought it on the day of the first price drop. (Incidentally, I'm waiting for the probable upcoming price drop on the PS2 to pick one up)

To tell the truth, it never bothered me before to not have the games as they were brand new. I had friends who did follow the release dates more closely so I played in their home. The only real reason why the GCN caught my eye so quickly was because I had a videogame column and therefore had several titles for the console. If it hadn't been the case 2 years ago, I probably would have waited till the $99 price drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's how to get around it.

When the system you intend to buy has depreciated in value at retail enough that you deem it affordable, go check out NASA's launch schedule. Buy the system on the day a rocket launch occurs. Problem solved!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

psssssh...so this means you won't be buying the phantom on launch? get outta here lamer x_x

i know i got my n-gage for $300 on launch day and haven't looked back once. best money i ever spent.

ok, not really, i always wait it out for price drops for both systems and games. i buy mostly games anyways, and there aren't a whole lot of those on launch day/week

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me too. I used to buy the new systems day they came out, sometimes paid MORE than list price (IE N64 which I got a day or two BEFORE official release). I stopped this practice with the latest 3 systems (still don't have them), here's why. One you buy new system, the price is high. Two what few games are available, the price is high. Three I have LOADS of games I have not played yet, why buy new system and pay out the nose for games when I have so many others to play. When I get the "new" systems (may be soon with XBox price drop and PS2 probably to follow) they will be cheap and there are LOADS of good games available for $10 each. That is my new philosophy........

Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never understood buying anything on launch day. Buying a console on launch day to me is just like pre-ordering a new game. All your lack of patience really gets you is a guarantee that you're going to pay the absolute maximum that you can for the item in question. That's why stores push pre-orders so hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the club. I've never bought a system until it has been out for a year at the very least. Even then, most of my systems are secondhand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never bought a system on launch day either. Although with my PS2, I came pretty close. I had gotten a $400 Toys R' Us Gift card for my birthday from my dad to buy a PS2 and a few games when they came out. But the lines and the possibility of not even getting one turned me off. So I decided to wait it out a few months until more became available, and from what I've heard about the launch PS2's, I'm glad I did. A few months later, I was in a mall with a TRU and I saw a sign on the window that said the PS2 was now available there. So the next day I went back with my gift card, picked up my PS2, and a few games: Crazy Taxi for PS2, and FF8, Simpsons Wrestling, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for PS1 since they were having a sale on PS1 stuff at the time. (Damn, $50 for Crazy Taxi and $300 for a PS2! Well, at least it was a birthday gift. )

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only system I bought anywhere NEAR its launch date was the Game Boy Advance. Early adopters of game systems almost invariably get screwed... they pay more for the systems and get a lot less for their money. Just look at anyone who bought the 3DO at launch. $700 for a system that was supported for roughly two years. That's a raw deal any way you look at it.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Just look at anyone who bought the 3DO at launch.
    You mean both of them?

Ba-dum-chah!

But, seriously, OUCH. I would have a hard time forking that kind of money over... Aren't the incongruencies strange between video games and other industries? The only other commodity with an associated launch date (that I can think of) is motion pictures. From this analogy, I would think that game releases would be touted more than hardware releases.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I don't think I've ever bought a launch system, although it wasn't until recently that I began buying my own consoles. My family may have bought an atari when they were new but I seriously doubt it, we never had much money then. Back then we couldn't afford it, and now I'm just plain cheap. :P

I'm perfectly content to play an old system for years while a brand new one slowly drops in price and it's available game library grows. I always try to buy new systems, but I kinda enjoy the hunt of picking up games used. You can get them cheaper and I always buy "like new" anyways.
    ________
    Body Science
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the PS2 for my birthday a month or 2 after it's release date, and the jaguar the first 1-2 months after release date. Besides that, I don't think I've bought any system in the first year. too expensive for the system, and all the games are full price.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I've never understood buying anything on launch day. Buying a console on launch day to me is just like pre-ordering a new game. All your lack of patience really gets you is a guarantee that you're going to pay the absolute maximum that you can for the item in question. That's why stores push pre-orders so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    The only system I bought anywhere NEAR its launch date was the Game Boy Advance. Early adopters of game systems almost invariably get screwed... they pay more for the systems and get a lot less for their money. Just look at anyone who bought the 3DO at launch. $700 for a system that was supported for roughly two years. That's a raw deal any way you look at it.

JR
    It's all about perceived value. Some people might feel that their money was well spent at $50 a game, or the system's launch price. This applies to all systems, not just the 3DO. If you get enough enjoyment out of the item that you don't regret spending the inital amount to get it, then there's no problem.

Regardless of your anti-Sony feelings, Jess, I'm going to use the PS2 as my example. I went hog wild and spent a load of cash on PS2 stuff at launch. I spent $50 on Fantavision, Ridge Racer V, and lots of other games. I dropped the $300 on the system. Many people were like 'you're crazy, you should wait until that stuff gets goes down in price.' But you know what? I got every last dollar of enjoyment out of the games and system well before they dropped in price. I felt that my purchase ws justified as it provided me with a kind of fun that nothing else could. No regrets at all.

I've been an early adopter of many systems, and I've only felt that I didn't get my money's worth once - and that was the Gamecube. But then Smash Bros. came out and all was good.

Just because you guys think that people are getting screwed doesn't mean everyone is. Some folks jump in and buy simply because it's the 'hot new thing', and those are the people that need to evaluate what they're spending their money on.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    It's all about perceived value. Some people might feel that their money was well spent at $50 a game, or the system's launch price

Everyone's got their own idea of what a great value is I guess but wouldn't that "great value" $50 game be an even greater value at $30 a month or so after release? I guess some people just have money to burn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Regardless of whether an individual (or even most gamers out there) think they have to go spend $50 on every new title out there, the field would be much bigger if games were $30. XNA, I think, is part of the solution for lowering game development costs. I also think there should be more budget titles, but that companies should do them well. Get the latest complete solution/graphics setup and run with it. There will always be high-cost system exclusives (like Zelda) intended to get people to run out and buy the system so a slight loss is acceptable, but overall each developer is looking to make a profit on every title they release and to port it to as many systems as they can make money off of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    It's all about perceived value. Some people might feel that their money was well spent at $50 a game, or the system's launch price

Everyone's got their own idea of what a great value is I guess but wouldn't that "great value" $50 game be an even greater value at $30 a month or so after release? I guess some people just have money to burn.
    You find me a GOOD game that dropped to $30 in a month, or even within 3 months.

I bought Castlevania on PS2 on launch day in October. Paid 50 bones for it. Beat it in a month or so. Loved every minute of it. Felt that my money was well spent. It just dropped to $30 within the last month.

Do I regret waiting? Nope. Not at all. I'd rather not wait the six months if I really want to play the game. If I'm on the fence about it, I have no problem waiting.

Money to burn? I wish.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Regardless of whether an individual (or even most gamers out there) think they have to go spend $50 on every new title out there, the field would be much bigger if games were $30. XNA, I think, is part of the solution for lowering game development costs. I also think there should be more budget titles, but that companies should do them well. Get the latest complete solution/graphics setup and run with it. There will always be high-cost system exclusives (like Zelda) intended to get people to run out and buy the system so a slight loss is acceptable, but overall each developer is looking to make a profit on every title they release and to port it to as many systems as they can make money off of.
    I read about XNA and I agree with their stance 100%. A solid and standard basis would result in cheaper prices.

I also agree with your statement 100%. Some of the tripe released at high prices is laughable.