Thread: How did the phrase, "It's on, like DONKEY KONG!" s

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How did the phrase, "It's on, like DONKEY KONG!" s

I think I remember a rap song by NWA and Ice Cube, where ICE Cube says that "It's on, Like Donkey KONG!"

Anybody remember that?

Now I always hear it in different rap songs.

Kinda weird.

Wonder how it all started?

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wondered that as well. I first heard it when Stifler says it in the movie 'American Wedding'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

It's from a track on Ice Cube's "Death Certificate" CD.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably another example of how cosmically unhip I am, but I've never heard this phrase.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well.....let's see, when you and a friend go at it in donkey kong....it never ends right? That or you kill each other

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    I am sure it was around before this cd. I remember hearing back in the arcade days of yester year.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The phrase is not unlike the popular expression "in like Flynn", which was made in regards to Errol Flynn's amorous activities off stage (and not the fact that he tends to enter situations by smashing through windows or by swinging in on a vine/rope/chain/whatever-which is what *I* thought it meant)

"It's on like Donkey Kong" probably mixes the popular use of the word "on" when used to describe something happening or going to happen at that moment like, for example, in a comfrontational/competitive manner ("Oh, sucker, it's ON now!" says the kick boxer after he get's mashed in the face with a two-by-four), or in a sexual matter ("Oh baby, let's get it ON"). Donkey Kong is probably used to describe how "on" is supposed to be interpreted. Donkey Kong can be seen as pulse pounding (for it's day) as you had to frantically get to the top while avoiding barrels or fireballs while jumping over holes or chasms. However I don't know how the lyric is actually used but I can only imagine that something is going to happen or they want something to happen at that moment that's frantic or equally exciting as playing Donkey Kong. And because NWA had it and it probably rhymed with something earlier or later in the song, that's probably why you hear it today.

Just my 2 zenny of speculation.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    The phrase is not unlike the popular expression "in like Flynn", which was made in regards to Errol Flynn's amorous activities off stage (and not the fact that he tends to enter situations by smashing through windows or by swinging in on a vine/rope/chain/whatever-which is what *I* thought it meant)

"It's on like Donkey Kong" probably mixes the popular use of the word "on" when used to describe something happening or going to happen at that moment like, for example, in a comfrontational/competitive manner ("Oh, sucker, it's ON now!" says the kick boxer after he get's mashed in the face with a two-by-four), or in a sexual matter ("Oh baby, let's get it ON"). Donkey Kong is probably used to describe how "on" is supposed to be interpreted. Donkey Kong can be seen as pulse pounding (for it's day) as you had to frantically get to the top while avoiding barrels or fireballs while jumping over holes or chasms. However I don't know how the lyric is actually used but I can only imagine that something is going to happen or they want something to happen at that moment that's frantic or equally exciting as playing Donkey Kong. And because NWA had it and it probably rhymed with something earlier or later in the song, that's probably why you hear it today.

Yeah, you are probably right. Also, I know I heard it way before Ice Cube's Death Certificate CD. But yeah, when people say "It's ON, like Donkey Kong!", it's usually about being very excited about something.

It's like if you were at a party that had tons of great looking women, and that it was just the sweetest party that you've ever been to, and then somebody calls you on your cell phone and asks you how is that particular party and you say, "Dude, it's on. It's on like freaking Donkey KONG!".

I'm telling you I always hear this phrase, and often times I hear it from young kids that have probably never ever even played any of the "older" Donkey Kong games.

But I'm pretty sure this statement started in the late 80's, and it started in Rap music, and I'm almost positive it was on the "Straight outa Compton" album from NWA. But it seems that in the hip hop culture, tons of people use this phrase as a everyday expression about something being really, really good, or something that's about to happen being really really good.

Like if you show up at a house for Thanksgiving and they have this huge food spread all over the dinner table with every food item that you could ever want and everything looks really great, and you take one look at that table and you know you are about to get your grub on, you say, "Man, it's on, like Donkey Kong".

Which basically means that you are about to eat yourself into a state of comatose!

But basically it's a statement of excitement for what's about to happen.

But I'm curious as to the original meaning of the phrase, and why Ice Cube came up with it. It's possilble that it doesn't really have any special meaning, and that the only reason he said Donkey Kong, is because Kong ryhmes with On.

But it's also very possible that it's a very special meaning to Ice Cube. Like maybe when he was a little kid he always went to a certain 7-eleven in Compton that had a Donkey Kong machine and he played it all the time growing up as a little kid. And he loved that game and everytime he played it was like a really cool situation for him to be able to kick it and play Donkey Kong.

So when he said" It's On, Like Donkey Kong", he was basically making a reference back to his childhood thinking about how cool it was when he first played Donkey Kong and he's describing the current situation as being as cool as that.

That would be my guess, but nobody would really know unless they talked to Ice Cube and asked him about it.

Anyways, I know that this is a really, really stupid topic and why would I even care, but I heard this phrase in a rap song the other day on the radio and I though, Hmmm. I wonder where that phrase really came from.

This is just one of those weird curiosity throw away topics.

So leave it at that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you are probably right. Also, I know I heard it way before Ice Cube's Death Certificate CD. But yeah, when people say "It's ON, like Donkey Kong!", it's usually about being very excited about something.

It's like if you were at a party that had tons of great looking women, and that it was just the sweetest party that you've ever been to, and then somebody calls you on your cell phone and asks you how is that particular party and you say, "Dude, it's on. It's on like freaking Donkey KONG!".

I'm telling you I always hear this phrase, and often times I hear it from young kids that have probably never ever even played any of the "older" Donkey Kong games.

But I'm pretty sure this statement started in the late 80's, and it started in Rap music, and I'm almost positive it was on the "Straight outa Compton" album from NWA. But it seems that in the hip hop culture, tons of people use this phrase as a everyday expression about something being really, really good, or something that's about to happen being really really good.

Like if you show up at a house for Thanksgiving and they have this huge food spread all over the dinner table with every food item that you could ever want and everything looks really great, and you take one look at that table and you know you are about to get your grub on, you say, "Man, it's on, like Donkey Kong".

Which basically means that you are about to eat yourself into a state of comatose!

But I'm curious as to the original meaning of the phrase, and why Ice Cube came up with it. It's possilble that it doesn't really have any special meaning, and that the only reason he said Donkey Kong, is because Kong ryhmes with On.

But it's also very possible that it's a very special meaning to Ice Cube. Like maybe when he was a little kid he always went to a certain 7-eleven in Compton that had a Donkey Kong machine and he played it all the time growing up as a little kid. And he loved that game and everytime he played it was like a really cool situation for him to be able to kick it and play Donkey Kong.

So when he said" It's On, Like Donkey Kong", he was basically making a reference back to his childhood thinking about how cool it was when he first played Donkey Kong and he's describing the current situation as being as cool as that.

That would be my guess, but nobody would really know unless they talked to Ice Cube and asked him about it.

Anyways, I know that this is a really, really stupid topic and why would I even care, but I heard this phrase in a rap song the other day on the radio and I though, Hmmm. I wonder where that phrase really came from.

So leave it at that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So leave it at that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    There was also a Candyman (of "Knocking Boots" fame) song slightly earlier that contained the line "and it was on/I mean like Donkey Kong/To da break of dawn." I can't remember which song, but it's on the first album, the one with him playing Twister on the cover.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry about those multiple posts. I don't know how that happened?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never listened this track, but if anybody knows what´s the song, i´ll download it...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'll have to start saying that every once in a while.

"Long Schlong Donkey Kong" comes from Saturday Night Live. Thasalliknow.