Thread: Home computers are gonna KILL the game consoles!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Home computers are gonna KILL the game consoles!

Ever since I got my Commodore 64, I just don’t play my Atari 2600 as much as I used to. The C64 can do so much more than my 2600. Better graphics, better sound (some with SPEECH!), better game play. Plus it’s a lot easier to collect 5 1/4 inch floppies than it is to have a lot of bulky, clattering carts. Friends of mine with Atari 400’s, TRS-80s, Apple II’s and the like also say their Colecovisions and Intellivisions are getting ignored. (And you can copy your games when they're on disc! )

Think about it, why would you mess with a dedicated game system when a home computer can play games (a lot better games, I may add), as well as balance your checkbook, word process, etc. I’ll tell ya, I betcha the whole dedicated game console concept will die off in a few years and every house will have a Commodore. After all, it’s the best, most powerful system out there right now. (I haven’t even SEEN a program that uses all 64K yet! That’s almost TOO MUCH memory!)
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I said all along, console gaming is dead, and PC games are the future. Those console games will always be inferior to PC games, they can't compete just simply based on hardware specs; and PCs are upgradeable, that's an incredible advantage over consoles, it makes them more consumer friendly.

PCs will be the big entertainment centers of the future and will be in the living rooms. Think about it, PC technology will find a way to produce great hifi stereo sound, maybe even play videotapes, AND you can play games, too!

Console gaming is a fad, a transition to the power of PCs, what else are consoles than minituarized, pittiful PCs??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Not everybody has hundreds and hundreds of dollars to buy computer equipment. I've already done this twice -- we sold our TRS-80 to buy an Apple II (for $1000, I might add). People aren't going to upgrade for $1000 every couple of years.

Computer games aren't any cheaper than console ones, they're a heck of a lot more complicated, and with moving parts, my guess is floppy disks won't last as long as carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... one would think, but somewhere along the way, things went pear-shaped.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I just aint a console only fanatic wearing a pair of Atari colored glasses (which has the best games EVAH!) but this thread doesnt do anything to me on the humor scale.

And yes, C64s sadly didnt make it into every home on the planet, only 20 million households were lucky enough. It seems some people evolved from pushing the power button to using a goddamned keyboard.

Sorry for the inconvenience you may go back to your daily duties.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm

Not convinced. The majority of people who buy games want convenience before superiority. Maybe PC games are & will be better. But console games will always be easier to use. Just whack it in and go. Plus they plug into your TV .. which are generally better placed in the average household for a social activity such as gaming.

Plus, of course, the high costs of getting the hardware set-up. And then upgrading it every 6 months as it becomes obsolete.

I have a PC. I never play games on it. And barring the possible purchase of Settlers III or IV on budget, I probably never will.

Vroomfunkel

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I don't think PC's will ever replace consoles... I think the two will combine. They have already started... the Dreamcast was based on a lot of PC parts (it even ran Windows CE) and the X-Box is basically just a stripped-down PC. The next X-Box is supposed to be PC-based as well, and I'll bet the other consoles will be very PC-friendly in terms of programming.

Your average gamer doesn't want to configure sound cards and graphics cards and screen resolutions. He certainly does't want to download fricking PATCHES for all the bugs that tend to abound in PC software. He wants plug and play. Pop in the CD and go. I hear of potential new consoles that run PC software on the TV and look for patches automatically and are supposedly very user-freindly and don't retail for nearly the amount of a full PC. Sounds like a next-generation CONSOLE to me.

It's much easier to get the full potential of of a console... everyone's machine is the same, so developers can work to optimize the code to fully explot the particular hardware and not worry about making sure it will work on a PC (with its COUNTLESS variations, configurations, and abilities.)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually,

from what I read, the next XBOX is going to be a lot less like a PC.

- it will not be based to intel CPU's, but rather special IBM ones (and 2 of them!)
    - it will not have a hard drive. But rather use memory similar to what's in digital cameras and MP3 players now.

PC's will never kill game consoles. Heck, just go to your local circuit city. Pay attention where all the kids are. They're not looking at PC games, they're looking at console games.

Console games always have a much longer life span than any PC. Look at how old the PS2 is! How many PCs made on the same day as the PS2 came out are still have to play games that come out today!???

VERY FEW. And not without a huge amount of $$$ in upgrades.

Damn.. you can put a PS2 or XBOX for the amount a good PC video card sells for!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not about better hardware. As history has taught us, hardware specs have precious little to do with a consoles success. At any rate, I love my PC - I love fiddling around with and get more performance, and I get irritated with people's unwillingness to struggle to play a game...back in MY day, DOS was a horrible evil cow to get working, kids don't know how good they have it these days with Windows XP....

Anyway, PCs will not replace consoles simply because they are more powerful. Consoles will always exist, because like people have stated, people don't like to have to work to get something running, even though that work is absolutely minimal these days. Furthermore, its all about the games. Aside from cross-platform money lunges that companies make on certain properties (movie liscenses come to mind) consoles games are generally distinctly different than computer games. There is for the most part a certain feel that each has that aside from more overt differences, further distinguishes the experience. I can tell playing Halo on the PC that it was originally desgned (well, ganked my M$ at stuck on their beast early in development) for a console, same with Deus Ex 2, and especially Goldeneye. Aside from limited texture usage, and minimal design - there is something there I can't quite put into words.
    Likewise, 2D platforming games just don't feel right on a PC - maybe its the nostalgia - but nostalgia is a powerful thing, I think quite a few people would be upset if all genre of games became stuck on the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my PC too! It's great for web-browsing, sending emails, and learning how to program. It's definitely not a game machine.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't post in hopes of starting one of those assinine pc vs console discussions since both systems have their goods and bads but I admit I am a late bloomer when it comes to console gaming. The other thing that "boils my knickers" are people who knowingly pass games that are proven to be great because it has a high learning curve and only want to play simplistic games, that is stupidity in its purest form, not wanting to learn. And for people having trouble getting their OS or games running properly the chances are theres a boatload of people with the same problem and solving it together on a software forum. This reminds me I have to make a topic about 2 of the best pc games (imo) that not too many people have played.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

My PC always HAS been used for gaming, always WILL be used for gaming. Been that way ever since I got my Commodore 128D in 1984!

And look at the really WEIRD shift from joke mode to serious mode.....
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this supposed to be an april fools day joke post?
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    I love my PC too! It's great for web-browsing, sending emails, and learning how to program. It's definitely not a game machine.
    Wow...your PC must suck hard then, to not even be able to play classics like X-Com, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Freedom Force, Warcraft III, Half Life, Unreal...etc., etc., etc.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In response the original post:

No, it won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Is this supposed to be an april fools day joke post?
    Cha-ching!