Thread: About the digital press collector guides.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default About the digital press collector guides.

There are 2 different guides? One for 8 bit and one for more advanced stuff? I want one of them but I only wat the lists for nes, snes, sega cd, master system, atari 2600, ps1, n64, saturn, game boy , and game gear. SO I would need to pay $50 for both guides? Thats way too much. Its good info but why couldnt ehy just be in the same book for the $25? Man, now my hopes are gone.
    Midwest

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the most recent issue of the collector's guide that covers the systems up to NES clocks in at just over 500 pages so expecting one volume to cover every system up to the PS1 and Dreamcast is really expecting too much. And a nice big 500-page book for $25 is, in my opinion, a very good deal. Think of it this way...for the price of one full-priced game, you're getting two huge books chockful of gaming history...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, the Advance guide is going to be a "first edition" of sorts, there will be mistakes and corrections aplenty by the time Advance v.2 comes out. where the classic DP guide is version 7 and is way closer to being a 'set' guide than the advance guide.

Still, buy both! I would never part with any DP guide, they're essential to the hobby in my opinion. It isn't perfect, and probably won't will be, but it's so informative. Think of it as the Hitchhiker's Guide to Collecting Videogames.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    There are 2 different guides? One for 8 bit and one for more advanced stuff? I want one of them but I only wat the lists for nes, snes, sega cd, master system, atari 2600, ps1, n64, saturn, game boy , and game gear. SO I would need to pay $50 for both guides? Thats way too much. Its good info but why couldnt ehy just be in the same book for the $25? Man, now my hopes are gone.
    Fellow cheesehead, I too am always looking for a bargain, and rarely pay more than $25 for any single game or gaming item. That being said, the $25 I shelled out for my DP guide is probably the best money I have spent in terms of learning more about the hobby. If you haven't seen one yet, you will be stunned by the amount of information and detail in the book. It's an invaluable resource, and I plan to shell out another $25 to get the DP Advance guide when it comes out this Summer. You'll be thumbing through your guides years after that $25 game you're thinking about buying now has become a permanent shelf resident.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

D-Damn D-Double P-Post...
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

You do realize you don't have to buy both books at the same time right? I mean, buy one one month, buy the other the next month. You have now spread that $50 over an 8 week period, making it just $6.25 a week you'd have to put back. It's not going to put you into bankruptcy, so come on man, suck it up...eat out one less time a week, and get both books.

You never know, one of the sections for a system you don't collect for now may spark your interest, and get you even further into this hobby!!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I dont really know much about any other systems besides nes so having these books would help me get better at knowing about other systems and maybe get me some good deals and maybe those deals would pay for the guides. ie.-I dont know much about some game worth 100 bucks but I see it at a a garage sale, I go to my car, look in the book and find out its value. Then I pay the 5 doallar garage sale price, and sell the item on ebay and making enogh profit to pay for the books.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its good info but why couldnt ehy just be in the same book for the $25?
    I'm afraid that's a question you'd have to ask the printing and publishing companies, as the cost for a book with roughly 1000 pages, the size of the DP guide, would be ver expensive to make.