Thread: Nintendo doing more emulating.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo doing more emulating.

Nintendo has finally confirmed Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime do indeed have link-up capabilities.
    If you have completed Metroid Fusion, linking the two games will unlock the ability to play the original NES Metroid in Metroid Prime. Saving is done directly to your GameCube Memory Card.

If you have completed Metroid Prime, you can wear Samus' Fusion suit from Metroid Fusion in Metroid Prime.

I think any site that has nintendo roms on it will soon be on there way out if there not allready.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do you say that? I'm sure Nintendo won't emulate every game for the GCN. In addition, you do have to pay for games emulated by nintendo, where as roms are free. Also, I think there will always be people that want to play the games on their computer, as opposed to on yet another game console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Why do you say that?
    He's saying that because Nintendo has hired ME to stop the spread of their old games. And stop it I shall. My minions are everywhere...

You play a good game, BOYYYYY!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not that they will emulate all old games its the fact they can prove that they are still using them. The fact they they can charge for them again is the reason they will go after rom site so people can't get them for free.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheTallMan
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Why do you say that?
    He's saying that because Nintendo has hired ME to stop the spread of their old games. And stop it I shall. My minions are everywhere...
    Phantasm is my favourite movie. 23rd anniversary coming up soon!
    One Box, Two Box
    Red Box, Blue Box

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It is nice to see Nintendo listening to the fans with emulation- first the GBA card readers and now this.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Woo-hoo! Access to the original Metroid is great news!!! Besides, it's not like I didn't intend on getting both new Metroid games...

And it's true that Nintendo's current use of NES titles into the GCN is enough to warrant closing down of romsites. It can be argued that Sega could do the same because of their current and upcoming classic title re-releases for the GBA and GCN, but then again, Nintendo was always one of the loudest voices against non-official emulation.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly won't cry over the crackdown on an area that's no more than petty theft. Blasted thieves.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This could lead to the end of 16-bit emulation too...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I don't see roms going anywhere. I see the closing down of rom sites as "shutting the bard door after the animals have already left." Sure, the sites may get closed, but roms are still going to be floating in the ether, be it in newsgroups, KaaZa, ftp sites, etc.

And I still don't see Nintendo being "serious" about emulating their old games. Putting out some early NES games on a cumbersome card format or having Metroid unlock buy linking (and purchasing) two other pieces of software isn't the same as putting a bunch of games on a GBA cart or GC disc and being able to play the games straight up without linking, beating, or swiping anything else.

I think what they are doing is a start, but it means nothing to a person like me who is only interested in playing the old games without any gimicks. Yes, I see this as a gimick. A nice one, but a gimik all the same.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my thoughts on the "official" emulation...

Original Excitebike in all its retro glory... $2.

Excitebike e-card, along with scanner... $40.

Sure its portable. Who cares? I bought a Game Boy to play Game Boy games.

I thought it was a neat idea at first, but now I really could care less. If some of you like the e-card reader, fine. I'll continue playing my old, out of date machine. We'll both be happy, and Nintendo will have legal recourse to shut down ROM sites. So they'll be happy too. Its a win-win for everybody.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The poor sales of the N64 and GCN have put Nintendo in lousy financial shape, so now they're trying to cash in by charging $10 for ~15-year [old] games. Pathetic.

(Okay, that's just conjecture, but it sounds plausible. These old 8-bit games should be sold 1000 games on a single Gameboy cart or Gamecube CD at ~$50. THAT would be worth buying. The current re-releases are insanely overpriced.)

[EDIT: Changed "obsolete" to "old" to please Raiden]
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng
    The poor sales of the N64 and GCN have put Nintendo in lousy financial shape, so now they're trying to cash in by charging $10 for obsolete games. Pathetic.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Nintendo made a fair profit on the N64 and it's software. As for the Cube, it's selling well at the moment and it's current software lineup is set to give it a good boost (and make Nintendo a very tidy profit).

As for charging $10 for obsolete games, exactly how / when is a game obsolete.. in order for it to be so, it would have to be unplayable and / or there would have to be no demand to play said game. If you're trying to say old games are obsolete then all arcade compilations fall under the same category as do Sony, who are just as guilty for re-releasing "old" PSX games under a budget label. "Pathetic"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oh my god...

Nintendo is in INCREDIBLE financial shape. Nintendo has NEVER lost money, actually. In 1998 and 1999, Sony was NOT turning a profit on their Playstation business but Nintendo WAS turning a profit on the N64. And it's not that they were losing cash on the N64 and making it up again with Pokemon. They were MAKING money on the N64.

That said, doesn't it seem like Nintendo is just testing the waters with Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, and the E-reader? If the response is very positive, who's to say we won't see discs full of NES classics on the Gamecube? Japan seems to have really taken to Animal Crossing (and I think the Famicom games inside are a big part of that), so there's certainly a chance for such a compilation over here. Of course, if it happens it'll probably be in the form of MANY such discs, maybe with ten games apiece...

If one doesn't come out, it'll be because there's not much demand for it in Japan. Nintendo still manufactures the Famicom here - games are only available used, but none of them are particularly rare. Famicom junkies are already getting their fix with updated, clean hardware and cheap games. The only ones that might be considered rare are Ice Climbers, which sells for about $40 loose and $60 with box and instructions. And of course, it's only a matter of time before Disk System exclusives like Zelda II, SMB2, or Metroid literally fall apart - in 2006 the disks will all be 20 years old.

Of course, Animal Crossing, when fully unlocked, is a pretty damned huge collection of Famicom games. There are over 20 in the Japanese game, and who knows what they added to the US release?
    Chris Kohler