Thread: So you might see 2 versions of PS3, if you can't afford $850

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So you might see 2 versions of PS3, if you can't afford $850

I'm sure this has probly been posted somewhere else in it's entirety, but I just wanted to focus on this one STUPID statement:

"So you might see two versions. One is a home server; the other is for someone who can't afford whatever it might be--600 or 700 euros ($730 to $850)--and wants just to pay 200 euros ($245) for a new-generation games machine."

So, just on the off chance you don't have EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS, they have the cheap $250 version available as well, don't worry.
    Yeah. Exactly who the hell has $850 to spend on a game console? .001% of U.S. gamers? Maybe 5,000 people in the whole COUNTRY? And what percentage of THEM will even want it?

Full story here - http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04...s_6092804.html
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

For $850 I better get a blazing fast machine that reads all past and future Playstation format discs and it better do all the functions of a PC, and then some. I want it to have a built in clothes washer/dryer and a dishwasher. Oh yeah and a mini fridge would be nice too.

It also better come with a huge flat panel display and free shipping. Then I MIGHT think about getting one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can afford $850 but what are the significant improvements over the cheaper version. This also brings up questions on how Xbox Next is going to compete with Sonys price range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, some people bought the 3DO when it came out. (And the CDi for that matter.)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

For $850 is better be damn worth it.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy Crap. WHo in their right mind (excluding really rich people0, would go out and buy a machiine for $850!?!?!?! You might as go well get a ps2 , xbox, gamecube and more
    What i need: SNES games and a few 32x!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Is it me or is the wording of this kinda belittling the common game player.

"it will be 850.00 BUT if your too poor for that we got the cheap ass version for you"

I think it should be worded more like "PS3 will be 250.00, or if you want to upgrade your investment to a home server it will run 850.00"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

from reading this, this is what I get:

$850 PS3 = PSX with PS3 support
    $250 PS3 = PS2 with PS3 Support

who gives a crap about all the bells and wistles with the PSX type version..who needs that crap. the $250 model with have all the same PS3 functions, just not the Satelite reciever, and DVD burner and crap like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a great idea on Sonys part. Put out the stripped down version that plays games and put out another version that does everything else. I don't want to pay for all that extra crap. I wish they had given the option to exclude DVD playback from the PS2 as well. As long as it could read all the PS2 titles released. Why pay for something I already have? Anyway, I wonder if this is all true. I thought it was SOnys vision to have one piece of hardware that did everything. I wonder why they have deviated from that vision. I bet the Ps3 would sell out even if it was sold at $850. It seems that the dumbass Sony loyalists will buy any piece of shite they put out. Are there any real Sony loyalists out there? If there are I want to know why! Gotta jam, NAVA is today!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

800 doesn't sound that ludicrous for a high-end media server that plays PS3 games. People are spending big money on DVD-Rs and high-end TIVOs right now. It's obviously won't be a product for the middle class, but it should sell well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$800 doesn't sound high if all the crap stays working, but with all the stuff on this thing, say the dvd goes out or just one or 2 of the options. Sony's been going downhill on building quality electronics, they just don't hold up, when have the options break, this thing would be a pain to fix, or cost a ton.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope they build it better than they did the PS2!! It would be most frustrating to pay $850 for a machine that breaks down every other week like the PS2 does!!

E.---
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont see why yall are bitching... when yall first heard that PS3 was gonna cost a shitload yall were like... I dont want a console that does all kinda shit, i just want one that plays games... then sony announces they will also make a version that just plays games and for some reason yall are bitching

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crashdummycow01
    i dont see why yall are bitching... when yall first heard that PS3 was gonna cost a shitload yall were like... I dont want a console that does all kinda shit, i just want one that plays games... then sony announces they will also make a version that just plays games and for some reason yall are bitching
    I wasn't bitching, I just merely stated that I hope they actually build it better this time around--I hope they learned from their mistakes with the PS2.

E.--
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish they would concentrate on the games department. I will not spend $800+ on a system plus games. I don't care what it does.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wasnt talkin about u Evil E.. maybe "bitching" was the right word but i was talkin about sylentwolf... it seems that he's mad that sony made a cheaper version... sony obviously wanted to make a console that could do a shitload of stuff, but realized alot of ppl probably wouldnt be able to afford it, so they decided to make a just gaming machine also.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

This just reminds me of the many Soda makers and their ideas about shelf control. They'd rather compete with themselves by placing as many things that they've produced on the shelves, rather than give someone else any extra space. (ie, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free Pepsi, Caffine Free Diet Pepsi, the list goes on and on...) Same with Starbucks. Thats why you see one every 3 blocks in Metro areas, they'd rather go up against themselves, than Peets, or ANY other chain/mom&pop setup. Its easier to take money from one of your stores, if its going to go into another store that you control.

Sony, sees a "server" edition of the PS3 as more market control, and if its going up against itself (all be it a stripped version), no biggie, It will only get them the money in the long run. Because when you see the Playstation 3, the Playstation 3 Server, The PSTwo, the PSX and the PSP, what you gonna buy... The Playwhatchamacallit and not anything else.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not mad they're making a more expensive model.

And that's the problem, you're referring to it the same way sony referred to it, making a cheaper model. You have it backwards, that's the normal model.

The expensive model is just ludicrous, as sony is going to find out when they bring the PSX stateside later this year. At least panasonic and gamecube had the intellivigence to leave the Q in japan.

Anyone who can afford $850 for a gaming system won't NEED all that crap in a low end device. They'll already have a tivo, dvd player, dvd burner, home pc with a hard drive , and broadband router. Hell, I've had all of that for years, as I'm sure most people on here have, and even if I was GIVEN a psx, I would sell it in a heartbeat because I'm sure it's not as high a quality as all of those things separately.

Basically. Make 2 models, that's a great idea. But a company struggling on all fronts but one does not need to try and make the homer simpson car of the future for $82,000.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on the repeated use of "yall"
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bet the sixth PS will cost ten times that much, so what's with the whining?