Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hoping for your help w/ a Famicom Disk System project

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: e

Hey rbudrick, did you get those Backup Technique mooks from Lawrence (if you did, you'll know who I mean)? He's got a BUNCH in stock, looks like he restocked in fact.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

Hi Ed,

I actually didn't get them from him. Could you PM me his details? I don't know him, so it's a new name to me. :-)

Thanks, Ed! I've been actually going through a rather expensive channel, so another would be awesome.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Hey folks,

I know it's been eternity since the last update, but it was HELL all the way. I won't get into it, but I really drove myself crazy getting the original docs. Yes, I finally found them, and I am currently in the process of getting the translation edited (full of thick Engrish).

Here's a letter I wrote to Memblers to let him know that I'll send him the docs if he is interested and post them:

Hi Memblers,

You might remember me from several message boards and just generally hanging around everywhere online.. I spent most of the last year hunting down the source of the FDS Copy Tool documents and I finally found the original source (I could write a book on the hell I went through to find these, but I'll spare ya, heh heh). Trust me, it suuuuucked.

I originally thought they were from Backup Technique, a hackers' publication for consoles that later turned in to Game Lab after 38 issues. It turns out, they are from Famicom Remodeling Manual (or Famicom Reconstruction Manual). It is from the same people that did Backup Technique...sort of a little side publication they did. I believe there were only 3 issues of Famicom Remodeling Manual and Copy Tool 1 is from Issue 3. It is the most accurate of the copy tools, as Copy Tool 2 is actually from issue 1. It says within the Issue 3 article that there were many corrections and updates over the issue 2 project (which you don't have, but I can get for you). This leads me to believe Copy Tool 2 (from Issue 1) is just as screwed up as Issue 2, if not more. Anyway, it's funny the earlier project got called "copy tool 2 on your site." :-)

Anyway, last year I completely trasnscribed the 2 tools to Japanese text using Word. I used the scans to cut each page into Word and then put the text over them, making it easier to read, and more importantly, translate. I sent it to a guy that did the translation, but he did a really wacky Engrish job, and I am editing and correcting it. The good news is, I should have a good translated document for you within a couple of weeks, I hope, if you are interested in posting them. It will look just like the original, only better (original pages, not photocopies!), and in English. I'll probably turn the Word File into a PDF, but I haven't figured out if I can do that yet.

I will also get Copy Tool 2 translated later on...I already have the transcription, and I could send it to you too, but I have about 10 signs I am not sure of that I need to correct...I need the original doc. FRM issue 1 is the only of the 3 I don't have yet.

In the course of looking for this info, I found a buttload of other FDS and Famicom related stuff....almost too much of it. Hacks and mods up the ass, really. Over time I'll try to get this to you too if you are interested.
    So, sorry it's taken so long, everybody. You wouldn't believe the relief I felt when I had FRM Volume 3 in my hands and finally saw "copy tool 1" staring at me. No scans of photocopies...the real thing.

Also, it is truly mindblowing the amount of hacks, mods, programs, projects, ram carts, etc., etc., etc. that are in the Backup Technique issues for every system and Japanese computer you could think of. I could keep me busy for my whole life.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

Hi folks,

The final translation is moving along rather smoothly, but I hit a snag I posted about here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61854

Can anyone help?

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, nothing to add here. I found this topic some time ago, and are looking forward to any progress on the subject! Does anyone know any news on tomys whereabouts? I read that he has somehting special in mind, but I just know what I read on this site and some small bits on his forum. I asked him, but didn't get a reply.

Well, I hope I can buy or get some good instructions to build something soon. Some of my original discs don't work, so I would love to rewrite them!

Good luck with the translationproject and everything!
    Got anything working in hardware, btw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I should have posted this sooner. The translation has been done for a couple of months and came out beautifully.

I sent the final version of it to Memblers to post on his site nesdev.parosius.com a couple months ago, but he hasn't posted it yet. So, I'm still patiently waiting for the world to see it. He's been very busy lately, as I understand it.

I think you folks are really going to dig it...I'm quite proud of it.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They're up!!!!

Enjoy, good luck, and let me know what you think.

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewt...er=asc&start=0

They're at the end of the thread in this link.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

By the way, you need eMule or eDonkey to download these. There just isn't enough storage on Membler's site for them.

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Beat me to it, SimplyNES! I REALLY appreciate you doing that. A lot of folks had some trouble using emule to get them from Memblers.

I was actually going to make another thread on it, since I think a lot of people see this thread, notice it's 5 pages and skip over it. Since the project is finished and I no longer need help with it, I think a new thread would be convenient for most readers and appropriate at this point.

Also, thanks to everyone who helped out on this project...it was a hell of a long journey and a real pain in the ass...but fun the whole way. :-)

Well, most of the way.:-)

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, new thread up. Please continue discussion here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=845175#845175

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

Fingers crossed some of you guys are still interested in this!

I'm attempting to rewrite some of my corrupt fds disks, I've built the fds to pc cable, I'm using an ibm thinkpad 380E (pentium 150MHz) running windows 95. I got it especially for this purpose.

as it is now, with fdsloadr running if I insert a disk it freezes fdsloadr and the fds keeps reading the disk over and over again until I restart the computer. if I remove the disk it still keeps trying with no disk in.

I have tried under straight dos and also dos prompt. under dos the whole computer freezes, under dos prompt I can still kill the dos window and reopen it again, the fds keeps trying to read until I run fdsloadr again with no disk in then it stops (and sometimes thinks theres a ram adaptor cable plugged in)

if I insert the disk before running fdsloadr it does nothing until fdsloadr starts then same as above.. I have checked continuity on every pin and the cable is wired correctly as according to the txt that comes with fdsloadr (I had it upsidedown in the fds to begin with too, the diagram shows a nintendo av cable connector, not the fds connector, which is dumb.. I just assumed the keyway was up.. apparently not.

I'm hoping theres a solution other than try another computer.. machines of this age are getting kindof far between

it was getting an illegal operation before I changed the address range of the parallel port to 378-37B.. apparently if theres only one address range it means the parallel port is in epp mode. my bios is crappy and has nothing like that configurable.. loos like they put more effort into making the bios pretty (looks like windows 3.1 and has mouse support with animated cursors in the shape of screwdrivers and things) instead of functional (it has very fuy configurable options)

anyone wanna revive this thread with me?
    Last edited by phreak97; 10-30-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Laptops are notoriously unreliable for FDSLoader. Usually they can load an image to the Ram Cart, but not dump a disk. Also, no one but the author of FDSLoader has ever gotten FDSLoader to write. There are still ways to trick it into doing so with a Game Copier like the TGD6 and a copier app disk.

You may need another computer, and a big ugly tower at that.

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm about 16 years since I first posted in this thread and 9 or so since it was last active, how time flies.

The creator of fdsloadr uploaded some videos showing how to WRITE disks with his software and the hardware mods required, I saved the videos as I plan to try it at some point but who knows when. It looks like the videos are no longer hosted and I cannot even find the channel now (why do people do this?) anyway I've uploaded mirrors here if anyone besides me is still interested in getting fdsloadr working to write disks.

https://youtu.be/RLMt8io2zMI
    https://youtu.be/QKO5iCaSf1A

If someone knows the original channel or if the videos are still up please let me know, but I couldn't find them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, it's really been that long. There's now other ways to read and write disks, or to get images loaded onto a famicom now.

http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/

Enjoy!

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That does look good, part of me still wants to get fdsloadr working though since I spent so long trying to get it working. It's like an unfinished project, even though loading works.