Thread: Thrill Kill: Are There TWO Bootleg Versions?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thrill Kill: Are There TWO Bootleg Versions?

I ain't never downloaded Thrill Kill from the warez groups, because I have two beta versions I came to possess legitimately (if freelance weaseling can be considered legit): an E3 '98 demo build with one-button fatalities, and a review build with the same moves and combos listed in that infamous issue of Tips & Tricks with Thrill Kill on the cover.

My question: are both of these versions circulating, or just one of 'em? I always bust out the E3 version at gaming parties, as the one-button fatalities make it easy for anyone to enjoy it.

-- Z.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the version I have is the review copy, never saw the E3 version, but I would love to get a copy of that tips and tricks mag with thrillkill on the cover. I thought it was a pretty fun game. It could easily come out today, but back then yeah it was way over the top
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Thrill Kill: Are There TWO Bootleg Versions?

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I ain't never downloaded Thrill Kill from the warez groups, because I have two beta versions I came to possess legitimately (if freelance weaseling can be considered legit): an E3 '98 demo build with one-button fatalities, and a review build with the same moves and combos listed in that infamous issue of Tips & Tricks with Thrill Kill on the cover.

My question: are both of these versions circulating, or just one of 'em? I always bust out the E3 version at gaming parties, as the one-button fatalities make it easy for anyone to enjoy it.

-- Z.
    both, if i'm not mistaken. i remember a few years ago some folks ebaying the demo build as the final and later some others were selling the full version with the tagline of (something like)- "this is the complete version, not the fake that's been circulating" like they had "originals" to sell... x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Z, I'll have to go through my old PSX stuff and take a look. I thought I had three different versions, but two of them may be the same. I know that one was roughly 300 meg and the other was larger, closer to 600. I thought that one had cut scenes and fmv and the other one didn't, the smaller one being an earlier beta and the latter being the final beta. I also believe one either had more music tracks than the other, or one didn't have music and the other did, something like that.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a copy of this, just a burned copy of course, but I'd like to play it.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Why was the game's release canceled anyway?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Why was the game's release canceled anyway?
    I think that EA bought the company that was making it and canned it because it was to violent.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, they were bought out by a company that didn't want it on their track record. Seems like an awful waste, going to all the trouble to make a game and not release it. They probably decided it wasn't worth the inevitable kafuffle.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    Yeah, they were bought out by a company that didn't want it on their track record. Seems like an awful waste, going to all the trouble to make a game and not release it. They probably decided it wasn't worth the inevitable kafuffle.
    you'd be surprised just how many games have been canceled for whatever reasons. thrill kill is notoriously not-so-hot but people want to play it because they want to know what all the fuss is about (or they think it's some sort of holy grail of fighting goodness, lol). if you want thrill kill without worrying about legal issues, just buy wu-tang: shaolin style, which is basically the same game remade bu the same developer for a different company, lol...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thrill Kill was developed by Virgin/Paradox for the PSX. When Virgin was acquired by Electronic Arts, EA decided not to release it.

Thrill Kill is one of those games that you pull out every time a friend comes over who hasn't seen it. Then everybody laughs over the over the top graphics and violence (beating people with severed limbs, uppercuts that knock peoples' heads off, etc), and then you put it away. The fighting system is so simple that any one who's ever played a button-masher should be able to beat the entire game the first time they play it without dying.

I know I was infatuated with it for about 2 days when it came out and then for a while I just pulled it back out when friends came over. It's still over the top in terms of violence and gore (in a comical way), but it's much less disturbing than State of Emergency or even parts of GTA3.