Thread: Fixing a NES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fixing a NES?

Anyone know how to fix a NES Console that dosn't have any video?

I was told I may have blown a cip on the board as I was attempting to fix another problem. The Power light still turns on, it's not blinking, yet I don't get any video...

Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you try both the composite and RF outs?

I repaired a similar problem on a SMS, by resoldering it's SONY video IC. I have my doubts that an NES would have a loose solder joint. NES's are soldered like tanks.

If it wasn't for the cart connector, I'd call the NES the most reliable system ever. But the cart connector is a far too big a problem to ignore.

I'd just swap out the PCB myself. They are too numerous and common to devote too much time to hardcore troubleshooting, unless it's being done simply to meet the challenge. Tha'st cool too.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's done simply to meet the challenge, and because if I can get it working again, I'm going to try and change it to a Portable NES using the Documents on the Classicgaming site..

Besides, a new PCB won't have the history that me and my old NES have together . My Atari still works, but my NES now has problems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you try another RF switch? Those things go bad a lot.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I didn't try the RF output at all, because I don't have any of th ose connectors left around the house, now that all the Systems use RCA cables. I tried plugging an RCA cable into it, and theother end into the Video in on the VCR, but that didn't work either...

Maby if I ever fgure out a way to remove that RF box off the PCB for my portable NES project, and hook up the thing with wires running from the board, as demonstrated from classicgaming, it'll work?