Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Questions about the XBox

Okay, I know we've talked about this before, but I'm on the fence with this and I want to talk to people who OWN the system and a lot of games for it.

With the recent price drop, I'm thinking it may be time to pick one up. I allready have a GC and a PS2 along with a uber PC. Plus I'm excited about being able to mod the hell out of this sucker.

EB is selling a bundle where you get a new system, a S-Controller, the DVD Remote, and your choice of one out of five games (I know Manhunt is one) for $130. I would'nt need a second controller or a memory card for it, so that means I could get that and a few games for under $200. Not bad.

The main reason why I have NOT gotten one, though, is lack of EXCLUSIVE games. Almost everything I've had a intrest in has been either on another system or the PC first or been ported over to it, including Morrowind, KOTOR, and Halo. And I'm NOT intersted in playing online -- I can allready do that better with my PC.

I never buy a system unless there's about a half dozen games either out or coming out soon that I KNOW I want for the system, and I'm trying to see if I can find enough games to reach that level.

The only two on my list so far are Ninja Gaiden and DOA EBV (Yes, I know, the game is fluff, but I STILL want it. )

I'm mostly into RPG's, strategy/simulation, and adventure games. I buy some sports games but I prefer to keep those on my GC. I don't mind a good FPS as long as it has a good story.

Steel Baltion looks great, but I'm not spending $200 for it. Shenume II looks fun, but I never played the first one. Crimson Sea got bad reviews. Sega's Panzer Dragoon game looks nice but again, I have'nt played any of the eariler ones.

I also have a older TV to play it on (it's going to be AV video) but a 5.1 surrond sound speaker system to enjoy it on.

So, can anyone help me out with games that I'd like? Is there more stuff coming out soon JUST for the XBox that can help me justify the buy? Or should I just wait for the next price drop?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this year will be the prime year for Xbox supposedly, some awesome games are coming exclusively,the list below will be off the top of my head mind you.
    List:
    >Fable
    >Halo 2
    >True Fantasy Live Online
    >Jade Empire
    >Dead or Alive Ultimate
    >B.C.
    >Rallisport Challenge 2

There are other ones but I just cannot remember.
    But all of those game up there are worth getting an Xbox alone.
    And I buy most multi-platform games for my Xbox, except for the Online EA sports games those go to my PS2.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Blinx: The Time Sweeper is decent at its current price. Great graphics, but it tends to piss you off later on.
    Jet Set Radio Futuire (JSRF) is a pretty fun game that can be had for around $5, usually on the same disc as Sega GT.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'll look up those game names to see if I can find some info on them.

Sorry, when it comes to multi-platform games, the GC comes first if the game is out for it and then the PS2. I know the XBox has better graphics and sound support, but I STILL hate the controller (at least the S model is useable) and I think I can play my games longer on my PS2 (if the PS3 does indeed have backwards support).

And nothing online -- not interested. At least not for another year or so when I move and have a better setup then now. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[Resists urge to rant about shittiness of PS2 controller.]

With me, it's the opposite. I go for Xbox first. Cube second. PS2 is not even on the list. I [Insert aforementioned rant here].

I love the Xbox BIG controller.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would you want to stay away from online? Yea FPS is much better on PC online, but nothing else is. Crimson Skies, PGR2, CvS2 is enough for me to go online with xbox.

Anyways Xbox is by far the best of the new systems imo, and it's the only one I still own (and I actually have 2 of them) I sold my ps2 and gc because there was nothing to play on them, and all my ps2 was used for was to watch movies.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a PS2 and GC when I descided to buy the Xbox, and I prefer RPgs and adventure games as well. There were two reasons to go for it, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Project Gotham Racing.

Orta delivers big time, in my opinion it's an instant classic, and the two PGRs are just plain fun and one of the best racers around. (still prefer them over Need for Speed and Midnight Club because they have better control, and better control means for a racer deeper and better gameplay)

I don't play PC games, so the Xbox is ideal for me for the RPGs as well...besides, Ninja Gaiden alone is a very good reason to buy the thing.

When it comes to games, the XBOx certainly caught up with the GC, I'd give even the Xbox a slight edge over the GC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I'll look up those game names to see if I can find some info on them.

Sorry, when it comes to multi-platform games, the GC comes first if the game is out for it and then the PS2. I know the XBox has better graphics and sound support, but I STILL hate the controller (at least the S model is useable) and I think I can play my games longer on my PS2 (if the PS3 does indeed have backwards support).

And nothing online -- not interested. At least not for another year or so when I move and have a better setup then now. :P
    I feel the same way you do. I got my X-Box beacause I had too many people buy me gift certificates one xmas and I thought I should probably pick up the last system that I didn't have. To be honest, it sits there. I play my cube more than any of the latest hardware. I picked up splinter Cell and it rubbed me the wrong way, and Like you, I have a good game PC, so FPS on Xbox??? Give me a break. I REFUSE to learn to adapt mouselook controlls to two silly thumbsticks. Shenmue is the only game I have spent quality time with because it's all thats there besides racing games. I cant tell you how many times a day I hear about this "great racing game" on X-box.Who cares!?! there just racing games. I also recently went through 16 Demo disks from XBOX magazine to try some games out. I figured that I would probably kill a lot of time and enjoy myself. Wrong, nothing there

I gotta tell ya man, if you enjoy RPG's and stuff like me, save your money and wait till the X-Box actually has something worth playing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, you should definitely get an XBOX! I told myslef at the beginning of its launch, that I'd never get one. And I did. And I love it. I play it way much more than my other systems. Plus there are sooo many great looking RPGs coming out, and some good games out already. I also highly suggest getting SHenmue 2, because it's a great game and it's cheap. The only bad part is the controls, which are very tricky.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

So you don't need to know anything about the past Panzer Dragoon or Shenume games? I've never played any of those.

Racing games don't intrest me, sorry.

I think you may be right -- wait a bit more and see if any more RPG's or simulations for just that system come out. I COULD get both Madden and NCAA 2005 for it in August, but that would just be icing on the cake for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

The Xbox has many great games, and many exclusives among them:

- Project Gotham Racing 2
    - Deathrow
    - Otogi: Myth of Demons
    - Voodoo Vince
    - Quantum Redshift
    - Gunvalkyrie
    - Phantom Crash
    - Crimson Skies

None of those are FPS or online (unless you want them to be, those that are offline are still beefy enough off) and every one of them is an exclusive. I play my Xbox more than anything (although I admit that Xbox Live has a lot to do with that), but if you're a budding home theater enthusiast like myself, the Xbox also gives you the most potential there with Dolby 5.1 ingame for most of the library and extensive 480p support (and to a lesser degree, 720p and 1080i). The new controllers are among the most comfortable I've ever laid hands on and it's rare that your hands wiil ever hurt from playing it (damn you Unreal 2!). I love mine and if it were to break down today I'd head right out as soon as I could afford it and grab another one...in fact, if that tax return gets here soon enough I may just do that for the Halo one....

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I do like all the game suggestions and keep them coming.

It's not like I've never USED a XBox. My old roomie had one and I played several games on it. I STILL don't care much for the new style controller (our of the current three it's ny least favorite) but it ranks better then the N64 one. And my TV is rather old and does'nt support any of those higher resolutions, but the sound system support is rather nice.

Just the main reason I've been on the fence id due to me allready having a PC, GC, and PS2 and not seeing enough 'must have, only for this system' games out there. But I know when I got my GC in the fall of 2002 I spent over $200 on it, so I can drop $200 on just the basic system and a couple games now. I just don't want it, as someone else said, to just sit there. None of my three 'gaming systems' sit for more then a few days at a time without being played.

I could pick up a used system -- EB has them for $10 cheaper, but I doubt that it's worth it. The bundle really is'nt a bad deal.

I'll just go over to GameFAQ's next and look up the games that people have suggested and try to decide what I want to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

The XBox is my favorite system of the current generation, for all the reasons mentioned above (particularly XBox Live). But hey, if you`re looking for mainly RPGs/Strategy/Adventure, you don`t really have any business wasting your money on an XBox. There isn`t enough to make a gamer with your particular tastes (not to mention 2 other consoles and a PC) happy in April of 2004 on the `Box. Sorry. Spend that money elsewhere and try again this Xmas.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, there has'nt been enough to make a gamer happy with my tastes for MONTHS!

Actually, I think I decided -- I'm going to get one. Probaly even today!

I looked up all the games people suggested and a few others, and decided to stay away from the full priced just released stuff for now. I can get many games cheap or used and just rent the new ones, like Ninja Gaiden. I did some more research on other stuff and checked my bank account and figured out all my expenses and what not.

So, it looks like I DO have about $200-225 to play around with, and the games I decided to get with the system:

DOA EBV
    Shenume II
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Grand Theft Auto Double Pack

If I combine that with the free game I get with the bundle and the Hell Volleyball game I traded with Chadtower for a few months ago, that's six games, and that's enough to justify buying the system.

The last time I played the XBox was without my surrond sound system on the original controler and only a couple games. I'm sure there's most stuff coming out this year that I'd buy for the system, and there's always the potentinal to mod it. Besides, if I end up regreting it, I'm sure I can sell it to someone here on the boards with very little loss of money.

My only question now is if I should go with the EB one year warrenty. I'm thinking it may be a smart investment to make, just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Actually, I think I decided -- I'm going to get one. Probaly even today!
    The same way I make decisions. I bought my GBA SP on an impulse. I have to say "I'm going to get it right now!" or I never will. Best money I've willingly spent in a while.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, actually, I'm not THAT much of a instant buyer. No, I'm very carefull with my money. It may only SEEM like a impulse buy.

I've actually been thinking about this for a few weeks, since the rumors of a price drop, and started giving it serious thought when I was in my EB on Sat and saw the bundle deal.

Only the posts people here made here convienced me to go over the fence that I was on.

Now to hope they have some left and the games I want.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I just got back from EB -- and I'm now the proud owner of a XBox system!

I wanted to come in this afternoon after a few hours of sleep from working last night cause I knew the place would be almost empty. Sure enough, there was only a few people in the store. The only guy working was Mike, but luckily for me he's the manager and him and I know have talked and know a fair bit about each other over the last two years I've been shopping there. The first thing I did was start looking through the used XBox games, and he came over to me, saying "What the heck are you doing? You don't have a Xbox."

When I said I was interested in the bundle that I saw a few days eariler he smiled and said "So, you've finally decided to come over to the dark side, huh?"

We started talking about the system and I found out I was wrong about the bundle. The deal they were doing was that if you bought a brand new XBox ($150) PLUS one of five games PLUS the DVD Remote you'd get a rebate of $20. Too rich for me. However, Mike went on, he did have some used and refurbished systems available that were cheaper.

I asked what they did to refurbished systems and he explained how they came back from EB's factory, etc. and how they were $130. I said I'd take it as long as it was in good condition. Mike went to the back and came out with the box with the system, and he plugged it in and popped in a demo game and tested the S Controller and everything.

While he was doing this we were talking about the drives that were in the systems (some of my recently gained knowledge thanks to you guys ) and how I could only hope that the system was indeed in good shape as I had heard bad things about the Thompson drives that were in most XBox's. When he took out the demo disc imagine my surprise to see that it was a Samsung drive!

Mike noticed that also and said that it looked like I would'nt have to worry about any DRE problems.

Then we got into the games -- what did they have for what price, could he suggest any other games I might like, and so on. Finally we talked about the sound abilities (I'll use the optical cable I have for my PS2 since that hardly gets used) and the controller cord length (picked up a extension) and the warrenties and how they worked now.

Here's what I ended up with:
    XBox -- Refurbished, with one S Type Controller ($130)

Panzer Dragon Orta (NEW) ($20)
    Shenmue 2 (USED) ($11.69)
    Gun Valkyrie (USED) ($12.59)
    Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball (USED) ($24.29)

Six foot controller extension cord ($10)

One Year Warrenty ($15) -- Which CAN be renewed now! Plus they said that if it failed at all in the next 14 days I could just bring it back to the store and get a brand new one.

Those savings on the games were with my Edge card, BTW.

After tax, the grand total was $239.50

Not bad! Cheapest system bundle I ever got, that's for sure -- I spent even more money on my used GC bundle when I got that in late 2002. I don't like to brag, but I think I made out pretty good here.

Oh, I ALMOST got Otagi as well -- Mike said it was another awsome Sega game just like the first two I got today, and they had used copies for $25. It's just that I was at the limit of my budget for at least the next month and I had to leave one game behind. I'll see if I can rent it first. Same goes for Ninja Gaiden. I also plan to get the GTA III Pack for it at some point.

Now to start the process of hooking it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congradulations!
    I also love my X-box. The only other system I play more is my Dreamcast. As stated above, there are tons of great games to be had, most for very good prices. I always pick up multi-system releases for my X-box. I love the controller. I can't believe you actually like playing sports games on your GC?!
    I am not bashing you, It is just that I can't stand the GC controller sometimes.

I just have one question for you, Why did you get an extension cord?

X-Box games I dig:
    Burnout 2
    PGR 1&2
    Crimson Skies
    Splinter Cell
    Crimson Sea
    Midtown Madness 3
    Halo
    Ninja Gaiden
    Return To Castlewolfenstein
    GTA Double Pack
    Conflict Desert Storm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the blockbuster exclusives Outlaw Golf and Volleyball demos are pretty good for their prices

also find a good copy of the packin Jetset Radio Future/Sega GT. Most places are selling this for less than five bucks now.

but in reality the best reason to own an xbox are the mod capabilities

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats one for Micros...I mean, good for you man!
    Glad to hear you decided to get one.
    I don't know if you have heard of Fable but its an RPG you should keep your eye on if you enjoy Shenmue II.
    Hope you have a good time.