Thread: How many these are floating around? Snakman for the Vic 20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default How many these are floating around? Snakman for the Vic 20

I recently have been snapping off on my Vic 20 collection(over 70 carts,40 more label Variants, and including Princess and Frog and a Xenox double ender of Artillary Duel and Chuck Norris. I got a decent collection, and I recently scored some rare games sealed. In the lot, I got Snakman(a pac man clone on tape, complete and in original packaging. It is made by Microdigital copyright 1981. Is it butt common or is it rare? I love wierd old computer games, I know that I will have an answer here!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: How many these are floating around? Snakman for the Vic

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    In the lot, I got Snakman(a pac man clone on tape, complete and in original packaging
    On tape.

Since tape games was not cover in the DP guide, i don't know what to give in term of rarity for this title.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about its rarity, but what I DO know is that it was a great Pac-Man clone. It was lots of fun eating an energizer, then busting into the nest in the center of the screen and having myself a million point monster buffet!

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default It is scary

I consider myself to be quite a collector, and I am truly blown away at this site by: 1. Someone actually knows what the hell I am talking about. 2. Someone actually has played this "one man band" style game. Awsome! I cant wait to play it! Best of all, I have two copies of it if one does not work!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad you brought that game up. It's been almost twenty years since I last played Snakman. I have really fond childhood memories of it, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up now. Guess I'll have to download it from the Internet and find out!

By the way, in case you were interested, Snakman was not MicroDigital's only game for the VIC-20. They also produced Pinball Wizard, Skramble, and one other title (I -think- it may have been Gridders, but I'm not sure). I never got the chance to play Pinball Wizard or Skramble, but judging from the quality of Snakman, I think it's safe to assume that they were pretty good as well.

JR

P.S. There's a picture of Snakman on the UVL for anyone who's curious about the game.

http://www.uvlist.com/game-41110
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have a copy of Snakman on its original cassette! When it came out, it was one of the best Pac-Man clones of the time.

One of the most memorable occasions in the game is when you could eat an energizer and go right into the ghost cage and gobble ghosts non-stop. You could rack up millions of points! It was something you couldn't do in the arcade Pac-Man.

I read something long ago (I forgot the source) that Namco added the ghost-cage attack in Super Pac-Man after witnessing it in Snakman. They wanted a game that not only surpassed Pac-Man, but all other Pac-Man clones, including Snakman and K.C. Munchkin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too am blown away by this site.. I joined for some vectrex info and was blown away to see a snak-man post for my ole vic-20. Now I have to dig it out of my moms and look for the tape...My dad bought me that machine as an 8th grade graduation present and the snak-man tape was a copy !!!!. I ahve to really get it out now, I do remember the tv cable being messed up...
    Tony