For those of you who don't know what the topic was referring to, amung the various bits and pieces that the 32X came with was a small device that plugs into the expansion port of the Genesis, which I refer to as the expansion port dongle. A small sheet of paper that also came with the 32X advised you to connect it if you did not have a SegaCD . Most people have no idea this exists, since it doesn't seem to actually do anything, the 32X works perfectly fine without it, and anyone who eventually sold theirs probably threw out the dongle completely. For anyone who is still confused as to what I'm talking about, there are some pictures of this device over in this AtariAge thread.

This may seem like a rather minor thing to base a topic around, but I've recently heard from someone on the AtariAge message board that his 32X and Genesis actually DO need the dongle to operate together. So, I'd like to hear from all the 32X user out there (all three of you :P) about your experiences with this. I can confirm that my MK-1631 model of Genesis (a Genesis 2) does not need the dongle, and I've been informed that the MK-1601 model doesn't need it either, so I'm thinking there are one or two very specific models that do indeed require this dongle. Do any of you have a Genesis that you know requires or does not require this dongle that you can add to this list? (if so, please post the model number.) Do you have a Genesis and 32X that don't work together for reasons you could never explain? Perhaps this is the reason!

--Zero