Thread: Xbox problems/questions

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox problems/questions

I was playing Halo last night for an hour and a half, when the screen froze and said that my disc was dirty, and booted me back to the menu screen!! My Xbox has been doing strange things lately, so I am wondering if my wonderful Thomson drive is finally giving way. I find it quite ironic also because of all the Xbox DVD drive talk of late. I keep saying, "mines aThomson, but no problems so far", well I think my luck has run out. On a brighter note, I looked at the receipt, and when I bought it, I got an extended replace warranty, and that luckily is good till May 9th!! I have a few days to take it back to Bestbuy and get myself a brand new Xbox (hopefully with a Philips or Samsung drive)!! I have a few questions for you all though--can I buy a memory card and save my favorite games files (saves) from my current Xbox harddrive, and stick them in my new Xbox I will be getting? Is that hard to do? Also, does anyone know the correct serial numbers on the outside of the Xbox boxes, corresponding with the 3 different DVD drives? In other words, I want to make sure I get a Samsung Xbox this time around if at all possible!! Thanks in advance for your answers!

E.---
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any answers to the questions but can say my xbox is going funky too. I play a game for an hour and the audio goes haywire. Gets distrorted. No error messages or glitches in visuals. Its made it unplayable.
    Its been well cared for and maintained as my PS2 and gamecube. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well most Xbox saves are too big for memory cards unfortunately. Halo for instance is something like a total of 5,000 blocks with all my data. Alot of games can be salavaged though yes, as long as they aren't huge like Knights of the Old Republic, Phantasy Star Online, Halo, and some others.

If you must get the data off there though you could probably mount the drive on a spare hard drive you have laying around and copy onto ther, but of course that would mean opening your Xbox and voiding your warranty so I guess i'm just going on for nothing. If it's even possible to mount it that is. :P

There was a thread recently about how to identify the drives just a couple of days ago so someone should be able to answer that.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need to know how to identify the disc drives before it is opened though... I know what the three look like, but I need to know at the store, with unopened Xbox's (via serial numbers or something) so I don't wind up with another piece of sh*t Thomson!!! Anyone please help!!

E.---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here:

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/do...nsfinding.html

Enjoy!

(I guess it only lists sometimes. I could have swore it listed which drive was in each.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

you guys seem to suffering from overheating on your XBOX systems. Is you system in a entertainment center (enclosed)? if it is it may be recirclating warm air and overheating. I could be wrong but I would try playing with the system pulled out in the open air.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the first Thomson 2 years before it crapped out on me--luckily, I had the extended warranty!! I just got back from Bestbuy, I exchanged it for a brand new Xbox, made in China this time, and it was made on 3-1-04, a few weeks ago!! I opened the disc drive, and whamo!! Another fucking Thomson!!! Can you beleve it? Oh, the luck I have!! I did purchase another 2 year warranty though, so I can exchange it for another anytime for the next 2 years, so I will play it for a while, and if it starts acting wacky again, I will just take it back again and hope for a Samsung or a Philips.

E.---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could be wrong but I would try playing with the system pulled out in the open air.
    Sorry but you are wrong.

I've repaired more than 50 Xboxes. Heat caused freeze ups in one out of all of the ones I've done so far.

Thomson drives suck. Maximum usable life of 3 years, give or take in my estimation.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my XBOX, the last two nubers are 06. On the page, it says nothing abiut 06. What exactly is it?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Monster
    On my XBOX, the last two nubers are 06. On the page, it says nothing abiut 06. What exactly is it?
    The last 2 numbers of the serial number are the factory it was built. I have heard that 06 endings are always Samsungs--you have a Samsung right? I am not sure what factory 06 is, but have read they use Samsung drives exclusively. The brand new Thomson I just got has a 05 ending which is China, and I have read they are using mainly Samsung and Philips now, so I was one of the unlucky Thomson buyers! My dark cloud doesn't ever stray too far away from me!! x_x

E.---

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know anything about my XBOX having te Thomson or Samsung or whatever, I just want to know if it will last and won't be going crazy like yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by dsullo
    you guys seem to suffering from overheating on your XBOX systems. Is you system in a entertainment center (enclosed)? if it is it may be recirclating warm air and overheating. I could be wrong but I would try playing with the system pulled out in the open air.
    mine gives me problems every now and then whether it is in my entertainment center or at school in an open air setting....it is just the fact that the dvd drive sucks.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Check the last thread about the XBox, there's a pic there that shows you what the three drives look like.

I was lucky when I went into EB last Tuesday to buy one -- the manager knew me and the first refrubished one he grabbed from the back to test out was a Samsung!

Originaly made September 2003, with a white sticker on the back saying March 14, 2004. I'm guessing that's when it left EB's factory after being fixed. Who knows, it might have had a Thompson originaly that crapped out.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am debating whether or not to take back my new Xbox (with a shitty thomson in it) and hope to get one witha better drive, or just play this new one til it starts acting up, and replace it then. I do have the 2 year replacement warranty on it. What would you all do? Take it back right away, and keep trying for a Philips or Samsung, or just keep it since I have a full two year replacement coverage? What to do, what to do?!

E.--