Thread: <RANT> Sonic Team's Downward Slope

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default <RANT> Sonic Team's Downward Slope

Sonic Team has been putting out a lot of mindless trash recently:

We all know about the glitchy Sonic Adventure and the fun-but-no-replay-value Sonic Advance 2 .. this rant will comprise mostly my venting about the 'games' (hahahaha!) since then.

Sonic Pinball Party - A bad pinball game with awful music. Sonic's not the ball this time around either. His only role in the game is a bunch of stolen art from other games slapped in as backgrounds and borders. Hell, Pokemon Pinball had more Pokemon in it than this does Sonic. And the ending looks like it was saved as a GIF with 16 colors-- it's dithered and contains random nuclear-pink and yellow pixels scattered everywhere.

Sonic Battle - A lame fighting game with a stupid 3D gimmick-- the level is a rocking giant polygon with sprites haphazardly attached. 3D looked better on the NES. The music again sucks, the sprites are jacked from the previous Advance titles, and it has NO replay value. I got sick of it after 3 minutes.

Sonic Advance 3 - Sonic Advance 2 with new levels that get as far from fun as possible while still classifying it as a game. More terrible music (this is a DISGRACE to their previous work.)

Sega Smash Pack - Sonic Spinball (which most people hated), and Golden Axe and Ecco 1 ported to the GBA and violated in the most wrong ways possible. Made slower by them doing a TERRIBLE job of porting it (actually, they got CodeFire to do it and slapped their name on it).

- Ecco has NO MUSIC. It's the Time Travel sound effect from the SEQUEL looped over and over. It's 6 seconds. I take it something went wrong with the porting and this had to be filler.
    - Ecco is distorted and cannot swim diagnolly properly-- you can only move in 4 directions.
    - Controls lag worse than the SMS/Game Gear version.
    - Text screens are terribly warped and nearly unreadable. REALLY bad because the story in this game is great ..

I can't rip into Golden Axe because I haven't played the original. But it lagged, looked HORRIBLE at that resolution and wasn't even slightly fun.

Why you ask? To save time and effort for Sonic Heroes, the festival of shit that Sonic Team worked up to be the BEST GAME TO EVER HEARKEN BACK TO THOSE ON THE MEGADRIVE!!! .. TOTAL LIE. It's NOTHING like the old games, not fun at all.. the sound is a disgrace to Jun Senoue, the graphics are NOTHING NEAR what the NGC can produce. They promised in-game graphics just like those from the CG Video on Sonic Adventure 1 (nowhere close.) The voice acting is even WORSE and your 'team''s AI is horrific. They follow you like drones and get in the way.

If Sonic Team EVER pulls itself out of the gutter NOW I'd really be impressed.

</RANT>[/url]
    - Epicenter

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess I can't argue with you about this. The only thing that really stood out in my mind about Sonic Advance 3 is that it's got more Tails butthole than in any other Sonic release. I can't say that's much of a selling point.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I was the only one to notice they hand-drew an asshole on Tails in the intro. But it WAS in Advance 1 and 2, I caught it looking at a spritesheet. It's just so FLAGRANT in here. And I bet that makes it past all the testing crews and into the final release (copy floating around the net appears to be a release candidate that failed ALL glitch tests and is STILL being released despite the ability to crouch-slide for 5 miles. wow.)
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

At the risk of starting something unintentionally, I find Sonic Team to be highly overrated, save for PSO...wait...even that's a bit overrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tails Butthole? I don't want to see that..

By the way, fix the image, I want to see that.

x_x

I've never heard of the Pinball game.

I notice you didn't mention the new EyeToy game you were ranting about in the other thread.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well yeah, that does suck too .. and I bet it had more work put into it than any of the games I listed above. :P But I thought it sucked enough in everyone's eyes that it did not need repeating.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

Nights was absolutely amazing to play. I remember when the Saturn first came out I wanted it just to play that game. I think it's stood the test of time very well.

I don't like Sonic Adventure at all. The game isn't intuitive to me, and the constant motion makes me feel sick when I play it. Sonic 3D Blast also makes me want to puke from motion sickness. I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but I miss the 2-D Sonic games. Sure, Sonic and Knuckles wasn't really groundbreaking, but it was fun and hooking it up to Sonic 3 made a game that I'm still not sick of. And Sonic CD was amazing, but it seemed like that stream got totally abandoned.

I feel like the Sonic Team must have something great up their sleeves, but I don't know what they're waiting for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sega in general has stagnated since the dreamcast days. i knew in the back of my mind that this would probably happen. But i have to admit im looking forward to the return of Puyo Puyo to an American Console. almost everything from sega has been a rehash. but since every company is guilty of this it isnt fair to single out sega or any particular team. UGA was the last company makeing exciting unique games, and now they are kaput.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Samba De Amigo is great, but maybe it's the exception that proves the rule?
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so was chu chu rocket and the first edition of PSO on the Dreamcast. Since the DC died, they havent had much to offer that is new. The only game i can think of is Billy Hatcher, and i havent played that yet.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    so was chu chu rocket and the first edition of PSO on the Dreamcast. Since the DC died, they havent had much to offer that is new. The only game i can think of is Billy Hatcher, and i havent played that yet.
    It's not bad, but it's kinda like a Sonic game (though slower) where you push around big eggs. Very much for the kiddies. Great music, though - reminds me of ST's groundbreaking work on the Genesis.

Under $30 bucks most places, though, if not lower. So it's not a massive investment if you're interested.

And yeah, the Sega Smash Pack was a total waste of my money - even at a measly $10 over the Christmas season. Each of those games, save for the rather hopeless Sonic Spinball, is much better when played on the Genesis (or a Nomad if you're lucky).
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    (or a Nomad if you're lucky).

<---- Lucky

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Tails Butthole? I don't want to see that..

By the way, fix the image, I want to see that.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org/post0304.htm

You'll find it here. I'm too lazy to set up an alternate host for the picture. It's a real shame that the Retrogaming Roundtable doesn't have the same file hosting capabilities as Atari Age's forums (hint, hint!).

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega SATURN Days were truly the Golden Age for SONIC TEAM.
    I remember the pure magic that was NIGHTS:into dreams I really believe that game to be thier crowning achievement and then thier incredible port of Sonic Jam even if they were just emulated Genesis games they somehow felt perfect with the Saturn pad.
    Now as far as the DC days I did enjoy the Sonic Adventure games as did many others sure there not perfect and I cant stand tails myself
    That leads us to the current gen games
    I was showing my son the Sonic Heroes Xbox Demo and after I watched him play it I tried it out myself I thought it was a good game not great and certainly not of the calibur of the Saturn days but a good solid game nonetheless anywho thats just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like Heroes. Frankly, I'm disappointed.

The only thing I want to see out of ST is a GBA port of the Mega Collection, then I'll be set. Nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really have to disagree. First of all, don't judge Sonic Advance 3 until you've played through it. I really don't have much patience for people that talk shit on games that they haven't played or beaten (in some cases). I am assuming that you guys have not played (it doesn't come out till June). I am willing to bet at least half the people, if not all on this thread have not played SA3 yet. I actually dug Sonics portions of Adventure and Adventure 2. Everything else could have been tossed. I do feel that SOnics portions had some awesome moments though that rank up there with the best 3D platformers. As for Heros, it's not perfect but is very compelling. One of the better 3D platform titles around and i've played almost all, if not all of them. As for Sega on a whole, I do not believe that they have declined. Has anyone played through Panzer Dragoon Orta? Has anybody taken a drive in Outrun 2? Have you been stomped lately in VF4 Evolution? All awesome titles. There's more too. Too many to list. Sega isn't perfect, no developer of that scale is. For all you Sega Haters out there, give em a chance, it will be worth it. Don't judge a book till you've read, don't judge a game till you've played it. Nuff Said

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Outrun 2
    VF4 Evolution
    All awesome titles.
    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    no argument, but they are all sequels. the original games stopped with the dreamcast. imho, original game should outnumber sequels and rehashes 2-1. This clearly isnt the case with sega, or the industry as a whole.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Heroes does suck, end of story as does every true 3D sonic game with the possible exception of adventure 1. Thought that PSO III CARD would be a new era for sonic team when i first heard about it until they threw in the same dated graphics engine and tried to pass it off as completely new, oh and the storyline.... you guessed it sucks. Maybe its time to start thinking about what abominations are coming out next?

-Sonic Spinball 3D
    -PSO 4 C.A.R.D. Booster Expansion Pack
    -Sonic Zeroes (oh look another team of crap characters no-one wants to use)
    -Chao Dance Dance Fever

Dear God No..........

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I really have to disagree. First of all, don't judge Sonic Advance 3 until you've played through it.
    I've played it. It's weak. The end.

JR

P.S. This isn't RC Modeler, the poster formerly known as TheAveng, is it?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YES... SONIC IS A FAGGOT NOW. Waht happend to the good 'ol sonic with the spikes? Now he has green eyes and long hair? I used to get the comics up till issue 74 (about 4 years ago) thats when sonic changed. They used to be cool till they got all "mature". Plus yes, all these new characters are really gay. They also fucked robotnic up. Sonic adventure was fun but since then, sonic the hedgehog just isnt the same... R.I.P. old school sonic and friends.
    Midwest