Thread: I just paid for my own personal Holy Grail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I just paid for my own personal Holy Grail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Mortal Kombat 3 for SMS/GG. I am putting SMS/GG for reasons that I don't feel like typing out again (check the recent eBay winnings thread where I talk about it).

I don't mean to brag, but I have seriously been trying to get this game for probably about 2 years, and I have treated it as my own personal holy grail.

I don't care what anybody says about how much I paid. Like others have said, "if it is worth that much to you, pay for it". This game is worth good over $50-100 to me personally. Whether it is really worth that, I don't know, and really don't care.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

No, it's probably not worth that. But I know I've never seen anything other than MK1 for Game Gear, so it has to be somewhat difficult to find.

Now, if I could just get hooked up with a copy of Alex Kidd in Shinobi World...
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know its not worth 50-100, and I paid 33, which it is about worth, but to me, hell man, I just threw a number up because it means loads to me and, its cool to see another person crazy about sega. i am not saying others aren't but i can tell from your sig a little bit about your love for sega.

alex kidd in shinobi world!
    that sounds badass.

I am looking at your avatar and place you come from, and wow, and seriously did not try to copy you dude, but ours are very, very similar.

Just for you dude, check his other auctions, and pick up Street Fighther 2 for SMS, which is just as rare as MK3. Enjoy. I am not really looking for SF2, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind owning it, but this game is more important to me, so please buy it up, because it may not come up (especially sealed), for a very, very long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

SegaAges, you summed it up perfectly. It's worth what you were willing to pay for it. Congratulations on tracking down one of your grails! I know that sometimes eBay feels almost like cheating, but there are some things you will just never find in the wild anymore.

How does MK3 for the SMS/GG play compared to other consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    i am not saying others aren't but i can tell from your sig a little bit about your love for sega.
    No argument there. My tale of blind, stupid Sega lust boils down to buying a Sega CD tray-loader for nearly 60 bucks on eBay (a first-edition Genesis was included as well), then finding out it didn't work. I've got it halfway fixed, but the tray still refuses to open. (Soon...soon.) Part of the investment was returned when I traded my spare Genny at the local game store for a complete copy of Shadow Dancer, so that's good.

In the meantime, I'm playing my small collection of SCD games on my emulator - but at least I've got the unit, which I'd been wanting for a long time.
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    SegaAges, you summed it up perfectly. It's worth what you were willing to pay for it. Congratulations on tracking down one of your grails! I know that sometimes eBay feels almost like cheating, but there are some things you will just never find in the wild anymore.

How does MK3 for the SMS/GG play compared to other consoles?
    Well the graphics were dumbed down for the sms/gg and only 9 characters were included. There are also way less stages in there as well. I haven't actually had a chance to play it, but seeing as how MK1 and MK2 for SMS/GG pretty much used the same game engine, I am only assuming that this will use the same game engine, which is far superior to the Gameboy engine.

I actually found this website about 5 minutes ago:
    http://www.vgmuseum.com/

Go to SMS, and look under Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. I own both for GG, and anyone else that owns them can vouch that the SMS version is exactly the same as the GG version based on the pics, so hell man, thats cool. I did think about trying to get the MK games for gb at one point, just because I could get MK3 fairly easy for gb and not for gg, but if you play mk for gameboy and then move to gg, you will never want to touch the gb version, just because the engine for the game is so much better. Yes, it is gg, so it is a little choppy, but the gb version is insanely choppy. I am comparing this to the gb version, just because the gb version is the closest to this version.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played 3, but I own 1+2 for the SMS. 2's exellent, but I've heard 3 sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

alex kidd in shinobi world!
    that sounds badass.

I am looking at your avatar and place you come from, and wow, and seriously did not try to copy you dude, but ours are very, very similar.
    Actually, it's not supposed to be that great, but I've got the other three (and the AK game for Genesis). So I want a complete set, of course.

And, hey, no worries about the avatar. You're in a different Zone (and high on Emeralds, apparently), so it's cool.

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    i am not saying others aren't but i can tell from your sig a little bit about your love for sega.
    No argument there. My tale of blind, stupid Sega lust boils down to buying a Sega CD tray-loader for nearly 60 bucks on eBay (a first-edition Genesis was included as well), then finding out it didn't work. I've got it halfway fixed, but the tray still refuses to open. (Soon...soon.) Part of the investment was returned when I traded my spare Genny at the local game store for a complete copy of Shadow Dancer, so that's good.

In the meantime, I'm playing my small collection of SCD games on my emulator - but at least I've got the unit, which I'd been wanting for a long time.
    Probably same person I bought mine from....one I purchased on there wont even power on =( I checked to see if there was a fuse anywhere in it but I did not see one =(

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know what you mean about the personal grails - Sonic Blast man 2 was one of mine....i paid 37 bucks for that one recently and don't give a damn WHAT dp says it's worth. that game is, as put best by a friend of mine who tried it out the other day.."Blow-your-load-good"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Now, if I could just get hooked up with a copy of Alex Kidd in Shinobi World...
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, eh? I just might know someone who could hook you up with that. Let's just call him "zn71," shall we? I've heard "rumor" that he has a complete, mint copy of the game, with two included instruction manuals.

If you would like to make an offer for AKiSW, send me a PM and I'll let "zn71" know.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could've sworn that I've seen copies of this game (not even sealed) go for way more than $25 before. I was going to say that you got a hell of a deal, but everyone else seems to think you may have overpaid. Personally, I thought that it was worth a lot of money, but I guess I'm wrong. Hell, the DP guide doesn't even have a rarity or price listing for the game.....

Congratulations on the find, it's always satisfying to finally get a game you've been wanting for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro420
    Probably same person I bought mine from....one I purchased on there wont even power on =( I checked to see if there was a fuse anywhere in it but I did not see one =(
    The commonly-failing fuse is near the power supply connector, and is labelled 'F1' on the board.
    There's a recent thread about it in the Restoration Forum which was enough to get my dead MegaCD1 working again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DP doesn't have anything on it besides it being for SMS and it being done by TecToy. I honestly think it is rare just because it never comes up anywhere, and the fact that this one is sealed too.