Thread: which do you prefer? model 1 or model 2 hardware?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default which do you prefer? model 1 or model 2 hardware?

Which do you prefer? model 1 or model 2 hardware?
    Myself, i always prefer model 1.
    <start rant>i see model 2 as disadvantaged.
    Examples:
    Snes 1 vs snes 2: snes 2 does not support s-video out; snes 1 does
    Atari 2600 6 vs 4 switch: (although i have a four! someone help me get a six!)The difficulty switch and channel switch become ugly back switches...
    Nes 1 vs nes 2(toaster vs top loader) this is controversial i guess....
    although i swore off cheating and sold my game genies, the toploader doesnt support it unless you have the really rare game genie.....
    more importantly, the top loader ONLY uses RF out, which of course gives those sickening waves going thru the display vs the clarity of mono AV.....hell i'm the guy who paid 35 for a turbobooster for turbografx to get that clarity, no way am i gonna get a top loader and lose it on nes...although some dudes on ebay can mod them for av.
    Sega CD 1 vs Sega CD 2: to me this is just a cosmetic thing. I don't like that nasty looking flip top bubble that takes up a ton of space. model 1 is compact, and when you put a genesis 1, a 32x, and a cd together it looks much better than a model 2 rig(gen2, cd2, and 32x) in my opinion. it looks like a real console not some slapped together crap.
    N64: this is only a colours issue but who the hell wants a pink or green console? not me.
    Master system: In the master system 2, card input was removed, a game was built in which caused loading problems with carts, and the AV out was removed much like nes2! who wants rf? not me! i run mono AV converted right now although i know that either midwestgames.com or baysoftgames.com (both wisconsin dealers!) have STEREO cables that are for Gen1/SMS as well as some other system(its the same pinset i guess...mightve been for neo geo but i'm too lazy to check right now. got a lot of posting to do and headphones to find!)
    Genesis 1 vs genesis 2: Why did they remove the headphone jack? I like that jack, of course now it's taken so my 32x/cd/gen rig is stereo(y-cable from radio shack) but it saves some electricity from running a reciever to unplug that and use the headphone jack! i think more consoles should have a headphone jack on them!
    on a side note does anyone else remember the 3do controllers with the headphone jack on them?(i had 3do for a week. painful experience, bad shippers...)
    The only time that a system improved with the next hardware is GAME BOY. Pocket was nice for its smaller size and it just seemed to have a better screen....then of course colour was the revolution and then gba.....i for once defied my model 1 schema and got the gba SP instead of the gba 1, but that was for the actual IMPROVEMENTS(the back light and internal battery!) but i'll even admit they screwed THAT up, with the removal of hte headphone jack...solution for me is to use game boy player at home, and use the adapter when im not home..i do have a 3rd party adapter that allows AC and headphones at once but its rickety so most of the time i have to use the dumb nintendo one that only allows headphone no ac!!! STUPID.
    i did also defy my model 1 schema with a 4 switch atari 2600...but even that, is the first 4 switch, the woody not the vader....
    soon i will have a six switch anyway.
    later all. <end rant>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that whilst second model hardware looks better, the first model always has better features.

Although, a top-loader NES is superior to a front loader and each new model of the PSX and PS2 have been superior to the last.

Those are probably the only exceptions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*raises eyebrow* i wouldnt say that the top loader is superior...
    for those unwilling to install a new gold-pinned 72pin connector, perhaps...
    but for the rest of us, and those who care about the AV quality of the toaster...
    i for one passed up a top loader for five bucks on a rummage sale back in '99, before i knew what they were worth. i instead picked up the toaster next to it which made a nice backup unit....until i lost it in a high-stakes cribbage game...that wasnt a bad game actually, later on in the match i won a CONTRA FORCE for nes...
    but anyhoo...i'd DEFINITELY take a toaster nes over the top loader any day. its all about the quality of the output.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Well, it depends on the system. Usually, I prefer to have the original... not only because the later versions often lack features, but because the original is the one that most people think of when they think of the console. Most "normal" people probably look at the SNES2 and think it's something completely different. There are a number of cases where I'd rather have the second model though:
    • Atari VCS vs. 2600: Hands down, the original six switch model is better (and the Heavy Sixer if possible). I don't like having to reach around to the back to fiddle with the difficulty switches.
    • NES vs. Top Loader: I'd have to go with the Top Loader here simply for usability. It looks goofy as hell though.
    • Lynx 1 vs Lynx 2: Well, the Lynx 2 has stereo sound on the headphone jack, very slightly better battery life, and the button to turn off the screen. Not only that, but I think the Lynx 2 just looks better.

In all other cases, I'd rather have the original.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If both models of every system were laid out in front of me, the ones that I would pick without question are:

Master System Model 1: You've got your 3D goggle and HuCard capability and some of them have 3 games built right into it (like mine). I think the A/V connection is better, too.

NES Model 1: front loading means that it fits in cabinets very nicely. Composite video is a plus. They're also easy to fix (or at least not costly).

Genesis and Sega CD Model 2: Stereo sound out of the A/V port, Model 2 Sega CD is less prone to breaking.

SNES Model 1 (without the cheap yellowing plastic shell): S-video is worth it.

Atari VCS 6 switch: why not?

The tough choice for me would be between a PlayStation and a PSone. On the one hand, the original PlayStation had link cable support but on the other hand, the PSone has that cool little screen and is fairly portable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_kamino
    *raises eyebrow* i wouldnt say that the top loader is superior...
    for those unwilling to install a new gold-pinned 72pin connector, perhaps...
    but for the rest of us, and those who care about the AV quality of the toaster...
    i for one passed up a top loader for five bucks on a rummage sale back in '99, before i knew what they were worth. i instead picked up the toaster next to it which made a nice backup unit....until i lost it in a high-stakes cribbage game...that wasnt a bad game actually, later on in the match i won a CONTRA FORCE for nes...
    but anyhoo...i'd DEFINITELY take a toaster nes over the top loader any day. its all about the quality of the output.
    Well, I don't notice a marked difference between the RF and AV output on the NES.

But I actually find myself agreeing on the front loader's superiority in some other aspects:
    - Front loading design is unbelievably convenient. PS2, Xbox and Mega CD I also are great for this.

- Since finding out a way of fixing the connector (without shelling out any cash) that involves bending the pins back into place, I'm not so irritated by the front loading design.

Admittedly the top loader has a better controller but that's still compatible with the front loader anyway.

*adds NES dogbone controller to shopping list*

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Model 1 in almost all cases. There's a reason why later models are usually "discount" systems. They cut corners by removing features and use cheaper hardware. With the NES it's pretty even, in my opinion, as both models have their pros and cons. My top-loader sees a lot more action than my original NES, though. Video quality is important, but I'm more concerned with just being able to play my games. If I gotta struggle with a blinking screen for a long time, then it'll totally kill my desire to even play anything. With the Genesis and Sega CD, both original models are the most reliable (model 2 of the Sega CD in particular seems to crap out easily). However, I do like the extra wide slot of the Genesis 3 that allows for easy playing of imports. The second model of the SNES just looks and feels cheap, but there's nothing significantly important about their differences unless you can use s-video. I am glad that I have later models of the PlayStation systems, though. Sony is so quick to push out any piece of crap that they're usually forced to fix the problems in later versions.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the good examples have already been taken, and I heartily agree on the Lynx especially.

Otherwise, the Sega SG-1000 Mark II is much better than the model I. The controllers are better, and it has the ever-important card slot.

Also, I would take the original Panasonic 3D0 unit over the FZ-10 personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It all depense on the system.
    Forinstance PLaystation is inferior to the Psone they seem to break way too easily second I like the shape of the Psone better.
    However the Snes v1 has s vid and just looks better(minus the early brown shells ). I just dont like the round buttons of v2.
    In my opinion each system and its revisions have there own strengths.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. Let's see.

I like the way the NES 2 looks. I love the prospect of not having a bending pin connector and having to replace the damn thing. Though, the cost and the whole No RCA port really makes it not worthy for me. Even though there are mods to make the thing like the Japanese one, I'll pass until I find one really cheap. And then I'll have it moded. For now, I'd just rather buy a Famicom and an adapter.

I love the look of the SNES 2. And would love to have one. I don't need S-Video. Actually, on my TV, I don't think I could even tell the difference. And it does have a port for it. I tested it with my TiVo. I saw no difference between using Coaxial (RF), RCA jacks or S-Video. So I just use RF for it. And RCA A/V for my games.

As for the Genesis, I like my small Genesis 2, but I see no real big difference besides the sound between them. But I'll take the 2 if I need to. But I have no preference.

PSX vs. PSOne. I'd take a PSOne. Right now I only have a really early PSX and it still works. I'll keep that for now. MAYBE one day I'll get a One. But not until I find a controller I LIKE for the PS consoles.

Hopw about the Game Boy vs. the Game Boy Pocket? Same system, just a new design. I tried the Pocket once even as a kid 10 years ago and I found it too small. Haven't tried it since, but funny thing is I didn't find a problem with the Color or either of the GBA's so I assume it was just first impressions and being used to the brick style. If I had to choose now, I'd take the Pocket if only for the better screen. But I don't like the idea of AAA batteries. I hate AAA batteries. Why they couldn't use AA's is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another "it depends" over here...

I like the NES toaster better than the top loader because of superior video quality.

I like the SNES1 better because it seems more durable.

I don't prefer any genesis units as I like my laseractive better

I like the first addition PSX units due to the expansion ports, but I like the newer ones for durability reasons.

I like the Saturn 2 because it lasts longer.

I like the new PS2s because they just have all sorts of new and better features

etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh, the funny thing is that the crappy last models seem to be more expensive (and sometimes more popular) than the originals after the years go by, due to lower numbers of units produced.

I have two SNES Model 2s, and I think they're pretty nifty. I'd like to get an original model just for the S-Video and huge box, however

Genesis 1 versus 2? Well, my guess is that either of them is a damn sight better than the Majesco Sales released Genesis 3.

For looks, I like the Toaster NES much better than the stupid looking toploading unit with the big red...thing...on the front. The toploader looks like a Fisher Price toy, and is more ridiculous yet on top of the oldskool Disk System (which really could use a matching Family Computer design, that would be neat).

Now leave it to SNK to produce a bad system and be forced to release a much needed upgrade at the end of the line in the CDZ. There's three units, and somebody else is going to have to address the units' respective sturdiness (or lack of it...), but really the faster CD-ROM is probably the biggest feature of all these units.

On the other hand, the later model Neo Geo AES units are a classic example of trying to fix what ain't broken. You get somewhat brighter composite out of thembut S-Video looks markedly worse. (As seen @ NFG Games Division.)

Finally, I think it's interesting that IntvGene wrote about the SG-1000s. I've only seen pictures but I had the feeling that the second model was a much more mature design all around. Not to knock the rather unique looking original design (think Sega-themed Pong!) but the controllers are very primitive.

How about the original Intellivision versus the computer version? I've been thinking of getting the computer version for a while now.

Lynx vs. Lynx 2 and N-Gage versus N-Gage QD (does that stand for Quality Designator? They sure need a miracle)...well, there's probably not much to argue about there

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost always prefer the model 1 over later versions of a console(I even have this strange thing where I love getting the launch day version of a console if I can). I'll even pay extra to get the launch day model of a system!

Anyway here is my thoughts on most systems I've played(and which model I like the most)

PS1: I prefer the PSX by far, not only does it look better(IMO), but it has the link cable port and a reset button. Also they don't seem as cheaply made as everyone says, I have a PSX from launch and it still works 99% of the time.

Saturn: I just think the model 1 with it's oval buttons looks cooler then the M2 Saturn. The only problem is that a mod chip for an M1 is very VERY hard to find(but I don't mind, since I have a Japanese Saturn on the way in the mail)

SNES: The regular "box" version is much better then the mini SNES, not only can it support S-Video, and it's built better. Not to mention it looks much better as well.

NES: The "Toaster" NES, may not always play games as well, but it looks 100 times better then the top loader. IMO

N64: In this case, I'll take the model 2(even though it's only color). I think the Ice Blue N64 looks waaaaay better then the regular black console.

Atari 2600: I haven't played this before 0.0, but I hear the 6 switch model is the better console(if you can find one)

Dreamcast: Not only were the 1st DC systems more durable, they could play burned cds(I'm not a pirate, I'm just saying that was a cool feature)

Gameboy: I just like the feel of the 1989 GB much better then the Pocket version, it just felt so much more durable and it had a very nice look to it.

GBA: I like the GBA, more then the SP because it feels better to my hands when I hold it. And it seems to be harder to break(not that I've broke one before) lol

Genesis/SEGA CD: The Genesis M1 and Sega CD M1 look awesome together, while the Gen2 and CD2 look cheap and like they were rushed together within a few hours. lol

Xbox: One more time I prefer the new models, the launch systems seem to be giving everybody problems with the crap Thompson drives, while the newer Xbox's seem to work great with the Samsung drive.

PS2: for the final time, I will go with the new models, most people I know who had an original PS2 have already went through 1 or 2 systems. Where as I'm still on my first 39001 PS2(had it since Christmas 2002), it has only given me 1 DRE since I got it. and the system is full of dust(cause I have nothing to clean it with)

Anyway, I always prefer the launch system/first edtion of a console. Unless they have a major flaw or something.

Note: sorry for the long post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never had problems with my PlayStation. Haven't used it in about a year myself, but I know it was used somewhat recently for Metal Gear Solid...the only problem with it is somehow or other it has had some value added recently in the form of an unfortunate scratch on the disc cover

Still should work like new, though.

Now CD-based systems I've bought...yeah, they don't seem to work as well, maybe it's being in transit, I dunno. I leave my own stuff sitting in the same place for years on end.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't know how anyone could prefer the original Game Boy over later models. o_O It's huge, eats batteries like a mofo, and it has a horribly blurry screen. Donkey Kong Land was practically unplayable on it. I skipped out on Game Boy Pocket, but once I got Game Boy Color, I never looked back. I doubt I've put more than an hour of play time into my original Game Boy since then. My boyfriend got a Game Boy Pocket, though, so I use that quite a bit now. I actually prefer to use the Game Boy Pocket when I'm playing black and white Game Boy games. I like to see the games how they were intended, and I love the big, clear screen of the GBP. The Game Boy Color has a smaller screen, and I find it harder to see. I won't even bother commenting on the original GBA screen. :P