Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultimately, the XBOX will be the most popular console, ever!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ultimately, the XBOX will be the most popular console, ever!

Ok, before you bombard me with flames of terror, understand what I mean by this.....

Here is my take:

Because the XBOX can be modded, and because you can put a huge hard drive in it, and because you can put emulators of all the old classic systems on it, and MAME, and all the other stuff, I think that ultimately, years and years from now, the XBOX will be looked back upon as the most wonderfull video game system ever.

Not so much for what the XBOX can do, that Microsoft actually intended, but what it can do, as provided by all the hackers and coders and people out there that have been able to get the XBOX to do all these wonderful things.

Think about it. The XBOX can virutally be turned into a full blown media server for gamers! Name any other system that can play Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, Super Nintendo, TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine virtually perfectly? Plus it can play MAME and Neo Geo and Game Boy Advance, etc, etc, etc,.

A modded XBOX, with a huge hard drive and all the emulators and roms loaded into it, is like a living breathing museum of the first 25 years of Video Game History.

You also have to think long term too. Think about in the future when 500 Gig hard drives will be super cheap. There will be a time, when somebody can put a freaking 500 gigabyte hard drive into a XBOX, with the right mod chip, and you could fill that 500 Gigs, with the entire freaking history of Video Games as we know it.

Of course, emulation of the Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar and 3DO might never happen. And as powerfull as the XBOX is, it won't ever be able to emulate the Dreamcast or PS2 or GameCube.

But still.

Now, your take might be this...."Big deal, so the XBOX can emulate the classic old school systems, it's not like it's the first console to do that well (Dreamcast), nor will it likely be the last console to do that well".

Well, you may be right. But this will in all likelyhood be the ONLY console ever, to give you the freedom of being able to put everything onto a Hard Drive, and for things to be so freaking easy.

Mircosoft has learned their lessons from the original XBOX. With so many people modding their systems and putting huge hard drives in them, and loading them up with the latest Retail XBOX games, you will never, ever, see another system like this again.

Sony and Nintendo are very aware of what people are doing with their XBOXes, and they will undoubtably make sure that nothing of this sort happens with their next consoles.

Microsoft has already announced that the next XBOX won't have a "Hard Drive" as we know it.

I think 15 years from now, people will still be very interested in getting their hands on old XBOX systems, just because of all the crazy things that it can do, once it has been modded and turned out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't agree.

I mean, yes, I agree that the xbox can be easily modified, but I don't think in the future people will really care. My laptop can do everything the xbox can do emulation-wise. I don't think anyone would buy an xbox just to play NES ROMs on it, for example. I think most people would just put them on their PC. Also, in the future I doubt you'll still be able to get mod-chips and the documentation on how to do a lot of this stuff will be long lost in the winds of the Internet.

One thing I do agree with you with is that I doubt very seriously we will see another console that will have this degree of configurability.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had written a hell of a huge rebuttal, but I decided against it. This is just gonna become yet another "my console can beat up YOUR console" flame war. Useless, useless, useless.

Look, at some point EVERY console was the most cutting-edge in its field. And you're saying that the Xbox will still be kicking ass in 15 years? Hell, they said the same about the Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, original Playstation, Commodire 64, Atari 7800, blah blah blah blah.

Sorry, but in two decades, your Xbox will be gathering dust while you plug your SuperGameBoxStation directly into the port fused on your forehead.

Remember Back to the Future Part 2? Marty shows the kids how to play the old-time gunfighter game. "You mean you have to use your hands?" the kids whine. Same thing. Enjoy what we have now, 'cause it'll be eclipsed before you know it.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

You know it's a nice gimmick and all... but my PC can just as easily emulate all those systems. I'm certainly not going to crack open my XboX for roms.
    ________
    Gm Foods
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ultimately, the XBOX will be the most popular console, e

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Name any other system that can play Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, Super Nintendo, TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine virtually perfectly? Plus it can play MAME and Neo Geo and Game Boy Advance
    Nay on the TG-16/PC-Engine. The emulation of those on the xbox is pretty much crapola. I mean you can play a lot of the games sure.. but the sound is almost always off in one annoying way or another. Try playing Blazing Lazers.. the voice is muffled, and the explosions are non-existant. Or graphic effects don't work (try the lightning in the beginning of Legendary Axe II). Or games just crash completely (try playing Military Madness on any map larger than one screen).

But yeah, everything else... it pretty much plays perfectly

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm going to have to heavily disagree with all the "YAY,XBOX!" stuff.
    I will debunk all the arguments:
    Graphics. If any of you - ANY OF YOU - out there care 1 fraction about graphics then WHY are you emulating old systems on your xbox? compared to xbox ALL the old graphics are "Crap".
    2. xbox live is NOT the greatest online service to hit earth and not hte first either. From my readings, ATARI games were available on a download...dreamcast had downloads(side note: anyone run dc online servers?) and online play is NOT everybody's bag.
    3. PLAYSTATION 2 has better 3rd party support. Notice how there are VERY FEW xbox-only games compared to ps2-only? out of my xbox collection there is halo, serious sam, toejam and earl 3 ,and panzer dragoon orta. if it werent for the last 2 i never would have bought xbox.
    4. Say what you will but the xbox controller is in my mind subpar.
    the original xbox controller was even worse....
    but i can't stand the triggers on xbox. It annoys the hell out of me that they are pressure sensitive; i'm used to rapid-firing my twitchy fingers on everything. Nothing more embarrasing then getting my ass handed to me in a street fight in GTA3...
    Also i find the vibration of xbox controllers to be very subpar. I know, force feedback is a silly gimmick, but the xbox controller has the vibration of a cheap 3rd party n64 tremor pak......n64(official) dreamcast, ps2, and gamecube all have decent, deep-sounding motors.
    5. XBOX IS AFFILIATED WITH MICROSOFT. don't you just love that commanding "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" on every xbox game?
    while xbox has some decent games, i'd take many systems over it any day, and if i had to dispose of one system in my collection, any one system, i'd even keep sega cd, 32x, and VIRTUAL BOY, over xbox.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_kamino
    i'm going to have to heavily disagree with all the "YAY,XBOX!" stuff.
    I will debunk all the arguments:
    Graphics. If any of you - ANY OF YOU - out there care 1 fraction about graphics then WHY are you emulating old systems on your xbox? compared to xbox ALL the old graphics are "Crap".
    2. xbox live is NOT the greatest online service to hit earth and not hte first either. From my readings, ATARI games were available on a download...dreamcast had downloads(side note: anyone run dc online servers?) and online play is NOT everybody's bag.
    3. PLAYSTATION 2 has better 3rd party support. Notice how there are VERY FEW xbox-only games compared to ps2-only? out of my xbox collection there is halo, serious sam, toejam and earl 3 ,and panzer dragoon orta. if it werent for the last 2 i never would have bought xbox.
    4. Say what you will but the xbox controller is in my mind subpar.
    the original xbox controller was even worse....
    but i can't stand the triggers on xbox. It annoys the hell out of me that they are pressure sensitive; i'm used to rapid-firing my twitchy fingers on everything. Nothing more embarrasing then getting my ass handed to me in a street fight in GTA3...
    Also i find the vibration of xbox controllers to be very subpar. I know, force feedback is a silly gimmick, but the xbox controller has the vibration of a cheap 3rd party n64 tremor pak......n64(official) dreamcast, ps2, and gamecube all have decent, deep-sounding motors.
    5. XBOX IS AFFILIATED WITH MICROSOFT. don't you just love that commanding "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" on every xbox game?
    while xbox has some decent games, i'd take many systems over it any day, and if i had to dispose of one system in my collection, any one system, i'd even keep sega cd, 32x, and VIRTUAL BOY, over xbox.

Did you even read my opening post? My post has nothing to do with the retail battle that the XBOX, PS2 and GameCube are currently involved in. My post has 100 percent to do with the fact that a modded XBOX, with a huge hard drive and all the emulators and roms loaded onto it, is like a living breathing museum of the first 25 years of video gaming.

I'm not talking about any of the crap that you are talking about.

You must have simply read the title of the thread, and then didn't even bother to read the opening take before going on your Fanboy rampage!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    You know it's a nice gimmick and all... but my PC can just as easily emulate all those systems. I'm certainly not going to crack open my XboX for roms.

I understand your take, but I beg to differ. Sure, everything you can do on your XBOX, you can do on a PC. But there is one huge gigantic difference between the two

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

Typically PC's are located in the home office, with a stiff computer chair and a small monitor or lcd screen.

While the XBOX is typically located in the living room hooked up to a big huge TV and huge stereo sound system.

Sure, you can get a Video Card for your PC that has TV out capabilities, and you can even hook the audio up to your home stereo, but where they hell are you going to put the huge pc tower? What are you going to get a super long keyboard and mouse, and a super long gamepad cord? Are you going to get them wireless? I've got enough remotes and stuff littered all over my living room that I have no need for a wireless keyboard and mouse also floating around.

Oh, laptop you say?

Well, if you have 2 grand to donate, then sure.

But for $149.99 you can get a brand spanking new XBOX. For another $35 you can get the mod chip, and buy a $60 Hard Drive on sale. So for $250 you can basically have everything that you would on a PC, but in a much smaller package hooked up to your home entertainment center, without pissing off your wife or husband or whoever.

All I know is that I'm playing Contra for the NES on a giant 51 inch widescreen TV in Full on High Definition 1080i in Dolby Digital sound. The picture is super crisp, and the sound is crystal clear, and I'm kicking back on my couch, 11 feet away from the TV, and life is beautiful.

I can play Atari 2600, NES, SNES and Genny games in High Definition 1080i, and I can set the screen so that it fills my widescreen TV. It's freaking perfect.

Well almost. Not as good as the actual real system hooked up to a RGB monitor, but pretty damn close!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely agree with the original post. The XBOX is a totally unique system when it is modded. Not only can I run every emulator with every rom on it, it can run homebrew software on it. It can be used as an MP3/CD/DVD/VCD player to take to parties, etc. The options are just too many to list here. Check out http://www.xbox-scene.com/ for more info.

Some things need to be cleared up.

Flack, I am not sure if you are aware, but modding an XBOX does not even require the use of a modchip. As for documentation on how to mod the system, there are huge forum sites available such as http://www.xbox-scene.com/, which I am sure will prosper for some time. I can still obtain FAQs on Gamefaqs telling me how to mod a Saturn, a system that has been dead for several years now. Also, laptops are much more expensive than an XBOX, especially if you want to put in ay a 160 GB hard drive to run every emulator and rom available for it. Moreover, laptops are not known for, nor are they primarily used as a gaming machine.

Daria, yes a PC can play all those roms as well, but I don't see myself lugging my PC and monitor around when I visit a friend, family or go on vacation and want to play video games, like I do with my XBOX.

Judging by the nature of your responses, I don't think either of you have modded an XBOX. Clearly, Daria hasn't. That being said, unless you experience what a modded XBOX can do, I find your opinions not very persuasive. It would be like someone commenting on a car without ever taking it out for a test drive. It isn't personal.

NE146, what TG16 emulator are you using? Hugo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think what Anthony1 was saying is the XBOX is a great video gaming tool. And I agree with him on that. I think when he used the word video game system some people stopped reading the post and started a reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Actually my Tv and computer are on the same desk. :P
    ________
    Redheaded Live
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Only one flaw... unless you can change the BIOS inside the Xbox, 120MB HD is the largest it can handle...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    NE146, what TG16 emulator are you using? Hugo?
    Yes. Both Hugo_xbox v10 and XPCE-X v0.05. Last I checked both had similar issues.

I mean.. don't get me wrong. They work fine.. they play games and all. But unlike the other xbox emu's, they're not really good enough to stand as a full blown substitute for the real Turbografx. For example.. the snes and Genesis emulation is another story. I easily play those over the real thing any day and never miss a thing. I haven't broken out my SNES in a year or two.. (although of course I'll never get rid of it) Unfortunately I think we're pretty much stuck with sub-par TG-16/PCE emulation on the xbox until maybe Magic Engine goes open source. :P *cough*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Only one flaw... unless you can change the BIOS inside the Xbox, 120MB HD is the largest it can handle...
    How is that a flaw? Most people who are already opening up their XBOX have some knowledge in modding the system, and most likely will be able to do this anyways.

I flashed the TSOP and split my bios and have no problems whatsoever. No modchips used at all. I can still use XBOX Live too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ill have to disagree wit the whole xbox over computer thing.
    My laptop has a 60 gig hard drive woth allmost all the rom yo can posibly imagine.
    All that is needs is a decent controller and your all set.
    The laptop is portible so I can take it to work as well.
    I dont really see how you could go wrong with the video resolution of a monitor either.
    Last but not least have you ever tried playing an old action game on the damn xbox controller SHEER AND UTTER PAIN! The crap d pad wil cut you thumb after a short time.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, but you have to admit, that in 90 percent or more of American Family's homes, the PC is in the den/home office/computer room, and the video game systems are in the living room with the larger TV.

Computers aren't typically associated with kicking back on a sofa while playing a game, while video game systems are.

Certainly the one major problem with this whole thing is the controller issue. But I feel that this is an issue that will be solved soon. Mad Catz has a controller for the PS2 called the "Retro Con". It looks like a old NES controller, except it has two small analog thumbsticks on it, in addition to an old school style D-Pad. It also has 4 buttons on the face of it, instead of 2, like a NES pad. This controller is made for the PS2, but I would expect them to also make a XBOX version. Of course, one could always get a PS2 to XBOX controller adapter.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

See, I see things happening the opposite way: more PC usage on TV's and in "convenient" locations. PC hardware has gotten so cheap and easily upgradeable that I'd predict a "death of all consoles" before declaring the Xbox the king of all game machines.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think ill agree too. Id much rather play roms on my tv then on this computer, even if I hooked it up so the computer would be on the tv, id rather have a seperate system for it. Also, there will be someone who makes a nes controller for xbox, prolly within the next few months. I agree!...though i dont have an xbox. And the "compaired to xbox, all other graphics are crap" thing, yes they arent as good, but I wouldnt call them crap, I love snes graphics, its so nice looking to me.
    Midwest

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For romz, Xbox > PC

For me at least. I'd rather play on my 27" TV relaxing, than on my 17" monitor cramped up at the computer desk. That's just me of course, I'm sure others have better setups.

And why the hell would you play old arcade games using an xbox pad? Get an arcade stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

ok, but you have to admit, that in 90 percent or more of American Family's homes, the PC is in the den/home office/computer room, and the video game systems are in the living room with the larger TV.

Computers aren't typically associated with kicking back on a sofa while playing a game, while video game systems are.
    That wasn't ment to be a convincing argument. I'd started to reply and had to leave so I only had time for a single smartass answer. Honestly though I CAN see the benefiets of having roms on a console but I don't see enough people taking advantage of the system for a serious boost in popularity.

Unless the topic title was a burst of enthusiam on your part and the thread's really just an outlet for showing off how cool XboX emulation can be. Then yeah, it rocks.

Personally though I'm content rolling out my armchair, and curling up in front of my computer. But yeah that's just me.

Although those emulators aren't very demanding, couldn't you get yourself a cheaper older laptop for portable emulation? Though getting tv out for a laptop might be another story.
    ________
    Jeep Wrangler History
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 08:52 AM.