Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default The History of Gaming Exhibit

You would have to have been ignoring me completely (understandable!) or hiding under a rock for the past month if you've missed my crowing about our exhibit at E3, which is just ten day away now!

We've got our interactive museum completely ready to go, and it includes 18 playable consoles. I won't list them here, but suffice to say that it covers every popular US console from Odyssey through Saturn. The idea is, there are nine consoles on the "pre-crash" side, nine more on the "post-crash" side. Anyone can walk up and play selected games on any of the consoles.

Now here's my question for you.

It's a "history of gaming" exhibit, after all... so what games would you most EXPECT to see at such an exhibit? What games do you feel have made a significant impact on the industry and/or are simply unforgettable mementos of our splendid hobby?

Discuss. I will most likely be using this thread as a checklist before packing the final box to Los Angeles!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd expect to see a lot of console exclusives... things like Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, maybe House of the Dead.

Then I'd expect to see the true groundbreakers like Pitfall and Zelda. Basically, demonstrate the uniqueness of each system and the progression of the technology via the games that demonstrated brand new concepts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that you would want to display titles that truly showed the power of each system. DK Country for SNES for example. Games that demonstrated just what developers were able to do with the limited hardware.
    Rare games would be a neat thing to show with theses systems, but rare and collectable does not nessisarily show what was capable of being done on a piece of hardware.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are we talking consoles? Hmmmmm.

2600: Combat, Adventure, Pitfall - honestly I think those are the three most iconic 2600 titles you could show off. Night Driver too. Don't show Pac-Man at all if you can help it - no, wait, do. Remind some of these folks what happens when you put the license or the look ahead of the actual game play.

5200: Ballblazer. Pac-Man. Show some homebrews for this one: Koffi, Adventure II (if you can get a demo copy from Cafeman)...the homebrews are particularly impressive.

7800: hmmmm...tough one.

Colecovision: Donkey Kong, Space Fury, Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (no, seriously - it's an early pre-NES scrolling adventure game, it'd be a good thing to show off!). Zaxxon.

Intellivision: the sports titles. May not have been the first video sports games, but the league/superstar/etc. licensing juggernaut started here. Football, baseball, soccer, hockey. Imagic titles rocked on this system too: Demon Attack, Atlantis, Beauty & The Beast. Oh, don't forget Shark Shark.

Odyssey2: K.C. Munchkin, if only for the history-making legal precedent. Smithereens, because it's just about the most fun you can have with pants on. Bring the Voice for that one. Monkeyshines, because its so unconventional. War Of Nerves. Quest For The Rings (show off the goodies that came with it - set up the board!).

Handhelds, if you're doing those: Blip. Merlin. Coleco licensed mini-arcades (Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc.). Quiz Wiz. Game & Watch. Microvision.

That's just off the top of my head there.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

You're all on the right track so far.

What about homebrews? I'd be tempted to toss in a really good 2600 homebrew like SCSIcide to show that the systems are still being supported, sometimes with games better than the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odyssey/Channel F/RCA Studio II - doesn't really matter which game you pick, just having a working console there would be enough of a "whoa!" factor for anyone who's never seem them before. Also bring a dedicated Pong unit if you can.

2600: Exactly what PDF said, but include Space Invaders and Warlords. Maybe River Raid.

7800: Robotron

O2: KC Munchkin, Smithereens (w/voice!), Quest for the Rings

Inty: Some sports titles, an AD&D game, BurgerTime

CV: Smurf, Spy Hunter, Donkey Kong

NES: Sheesh, where to begin? Definitely Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Metroid. Maybe Contra, Mega Man, CastleVania, Gradius, Final Fantasy, Tetris.

SNES: Super Mario World, Super Metroid, F-Zero, DKC. Maybe Zelda: LttP

SMS: Phantasy Star

Genesis: Sonic, Gunstar Heroes

Vectrex: Mine Storm (obviously), Web Wars, Star Castle

Astrocade: Incredible Wizard, Dogpatch

Jaguar: Tempest 2000, Doom

(Edited to add 2600 Space Invaders)
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

for the NES i would expect to see Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Zelda
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The post by o2william that gave Jaguar games to play, left off the reason I bought mine:ALIEN VS. PREDATOR! I still love that game!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

All good choices so far. Do you have to make any discretionary choices towards violent games? That thought crossed my mind when AvP came into question.

I'd also suggest packing up the M82 and the SMS Demo Kiosk for the NES and SMS parts. Both demo units would be great eye candy, and make it super easy to display all the must-plays on the system. If you can get your hands on the sixslot Genesis demo unit and the 2600 changer as well.

dave

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    All good choices so far. Do you have to make any discretionary choices towards violent games? That thought crossed my mind when AvP came into question.
    Definitely not. E3 is an adult event, you're not even supposed to be there if you're under 18. Ever see the booth babes at E3? Not for the faint-hearted. I'm very much looking forward to that aspect of the show

I'd also suggest packing up the M82 and the SMS Demo Kiosk for the NES and SMS parts. Both demo units would be great eye candy, and make it super easy to display all the must-plays on the system. If you can get your hands on the sixslot Genesis demo unit and the 2600 changer as well.

dave
    While I agree that these are cool things to have in a museum, it's not likely these will make the cut. The interactive side of the exhibit really needs to be "identifiable" stuff. It's important to me that people get to pick up a real NES controller, hit the power on a real NES, and experience the original console glory of each unit. The non-interactive stuff is pretty limited in space (though we've got some really impressive display units donated by the E3 people) and will be geared more toward the games, peripherals and memorabilia. I just don't see these demo units getting in there. Not for this particular crowd, you know?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default E3

I humbly suggest the definitive game per each system. Not necesarily the best game. Basically the first thing that pops into your head. Here's my highly arguable list (most of which have been mentioned)

2600: Space Invaders
    Astrocade: Galactic Invasion (or whatever that Galaxian game is called)
    O2: KC Munchkin
    Intel: Baseball
    CV: Donkey Kong
    Vectrex: Mine Storm
    5200: Tough one. I'll say Pac Man.
    7800: Choose any one. I'll say Ninja Golf.
    SMS: Another toughy. Phantasy Star
    NES: SMB
    Genny: Sonic
    SNES: SF2
    Jag: Tempest 2K
    3DO: Gex
    PSX: Tough one. Resident Evil
    Saturn: Nights
    N64: Mario 64

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are my biased choices:

If the systems have the two controllers, I would also make sure that some mutliplayer games aren't missed. I might even suggest a fun game like Joust for the 2600.

I also think that Utopia should be in the Intellivision section. But, there are tons of great choices for the INTV to pick from... Astrosmash, AD&D, Night Stalker, and the sports games, as mentioned.

I'd pick one of the Panzer Dragoon action games for the Saturn, as Saga isn't really enjoyable as a passing game.

I don't know if it's included in the list, but for the Lynx: California Games, Slime World and Blue Lightning are good to go.

It's tough because you have to pick a variety of games for all the systems, as well as games that are suitable for quick,fun play. Not many people are going to want to pop in an RPG to sit through ten minutes of intro material. I'm sorta seeing it as an arcade for the consoles, in a way. But your vision may be different

I think that the homebrews are an important part of the history, showing how it still lives on today. I'd definitely give Protector the thumbs up for the Vectrex.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    You're all on the right track so far.

What about homebrews? I'd be tempted to toss in a really good 2600 homebrew like SCSIcide to show that the systems are still being supported, sometimes with games better than the originals.
    Ms Space Fury, Bejeweld
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for a retroshow there needs to be an emphasis on gameplay, which is what classic gaming did better. So while Phantasy Star and Utopia were outstanding innovative games, most people with 15-second attention spans wont be able to pick up and play those kinds of games.

for the SMS, you have to go with Alex Kidd in Miracle World

There really is no wrong answer for the NES, but go with something that you'll never see rereleased by the big N, Mike Tyson's Punchout would fit this bill (youll never see Mike Tyson in a Nintendo game ever again)

Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis

I think the SNES is the hardest system to choose a game for, i cant think of any pick-up-and-play type game that hasnt been rereleased for GBA

Tempest 2000 for Jaguar

Devil's Crush for TG16

Burgertime for Intellivision

Turbo for Coleco

Yar's Revenge for VCS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

colecovision- donkey kong, mouse trap, steamroller, (maybe even kevtris for a surprise)

jaguar- tempest 2000

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just wanna suggest showcasing Wonderboy III for the SMS kiosk, it's easy to pick up and play for 5 or 10 minutes and much more engaging in that sort of time frame than Phantasy Star would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think primarily games that are identifiable with each system would be most important.

Atari 2600: Space Invaders and Asteroids

IntelliVision: Astrosmash

ColecoVision: Donkey Kong

Vectrex: Minestorm

NES: Super Mario Bros. series, Tetris and The Legend of Zelda games.

SMS: Wonderboy and Alex Kidd

Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog series and Gunstar Heroes.

SNES: Super Mario World games, Donkey Kong Country and StarFox

Sega CD: Sonic CD and Night Trap (okay, it's not a great game - but it's famous)

Sega 32X: Knuckles Chaotix and Star Wars Arcade

Saturn: Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei and Daytona USA.

PSX: Ridge Racer (and make sure it's a PSX not a PSone console)

N64: Super Mario 64

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

My only input is that the games should be representative of the system, and also easily accessible. There's lots to see and do at E3 and things that are easy to jump in and play are a good idea.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Atari 2600: Pitfall!, E.T.

NES: If possible, Duck Hunt/SMB/World Class Track Meet cart

SNES: DKC 2, ALttP, SMW
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Custer's Revenge

You did say this was an adult event! Plus I love that game.

Btw, I don't think I ever said it so I will say it now. Awesome gig man, good luck!