Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got Ikaruga... will I really like it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just got Ikaruga... will I really like it?

Yeah. I broke down. I think I overpaid by $5. $24.99 at EB. But I just had to see what it's all about.

So.. it looks fun. How fun is it? Will I like it? It's sealed. I don't wanna open it and find out I hate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its fun, and HARD. I still can't beat the second boss, only survive it.

Its a unique shmup with smooth animation and killer graphics. Worth $25? Yeah, I think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Four words, my good man: HELLS. YES. YOU. WILL.

A few more words: Go Treasure!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, If you love fun, geniuinely challenging games, you'll love ikaruga. Be warned: this game WILL kick your ass at first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I opened it, and IT ROCKS! I wish my TV was on its side so I can play on a bigger screen. Damn this is cool! I love the animation and effects! I'll have to practice a lot with this one.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Ikaruga is defentily one of the best shooters I've ever played, along with the Gradius series and Panzer Dragoon Orta. It IS very hard, but just keep playing it. For ever hour of gameplay you save, you get another credit. Play the pratice mode first to get used to it, and then easy, and then normal. Best advice I can give is just to use pratice and don't bother for points at first, just learn the paterns and beating the bosses.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be warned: this game WILL kick your ass at first.
    At first? ahahahhahaha. ahahahaha. ahahahahahhaa...

wait till you see level four and five. i can almost get to level four without a continue...but then...it takes me 13 continues to beat the game on normal. even though i realize i'll never be that good at this game (have you seen some of the videos people have done?), it is always incredibly fun. always.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't find it very fun. I'm glad I never actually bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...103091302&rd=1

Heh.. Wrong image I hope?

Edit: Also..

Questions. When I lose all my lives and continues and it says "Credits: 0" but it still asks me if I want to continue.. is there something I'm supposed to do? I can't continue because my credits are gone. But it seems odd they'd have the Continue? dialog still there. What's with that?

Also, anyone else notice a huge lag and slowdown when a boss dies? Also in the tutorial when a lot of enemies gets killed.

I can get to the third Chapter. In the shaft with the white enemies coming from ahead and the black ones from behind. I'm working on it. Great game! I found using the Horizontal 2 mode is nice for using the whole TV. I just wish this mode had rotated text too. Doesn't make sende to turn the controls to be normal on a TV but have the text all rotated. That's what mode 1's for. Like if I had an Arcade cabinet. Still, it's nicer than only using half the screen in Vertical mode. I like full screen games.

The first time I tried Type 1 and I just turned my head. Now my neck hurts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Insane Skill

If you're interested in Ikaruga you may want to take a look at this guys videos:

http://www.interrupt.ne.jp/~vtf/anime.html

They're large and the sites in Japanese but, trust me, they're worth downloading.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Insane Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Spottedkitty
    If you're interested in Ikaruga you may want to take a look at this guys videos:

They're large and the sites in Japanese but, trust me, they're worth downloading.
    I add just a short explanation of the video:
    This guy plays ikaruga(on normal diff.) in 2 player mode with TWO HANDS without losing lives and doing unbelieveable chains.
    He plays like a machine ...... without ANY flaws
    I'm pretty sure he's the only one on earth who can do this

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Insane Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Zubiac666
    Quote Originally Posted by Spottedkitty

I add just a short explanation of the video:
    This guy plays ikaruga(on normal diff.) in 2 player mode with TWO HANDS without losing lives and doing unbelieveable chains.
    He plays like a machine ...... without ANY flaws
    I'm pretty sure he's the only one on earth who can do this
    I can't do it in Ikaruga, but I can do it (without getting a "continue" message for a long period) in Konami's Operation Thunder Hurricane if anyone remembers this game. There's nothing cooler than holding two big-ass guns to blow away everything you see on-screen. Makes you feel like Rambo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8103091 302&rd=1

Heh.. Wrong image I hope?

Edit: Also..

Questions. When I lose all my lives and continues and it says "Credits: 0" but it still asks me if I want to continue.. is there something I'm supposed to do? I can't continue because my credits are gone. But it seems odd they'd have the Continue? dialog still there. What's with that?

Also, anyone else notice a huge lag and slowdown when a boss dies? Also in the tutorial when a lot of enemies gets killed.

I can get to the third Chapter. In the shaft with the white enemies coming from ahead and the black ones from behind. I'm working on it. Great game! I found using the Horizontal 2 mode is nice for using the whole TV. I just wish this mode had rotated text too. Doesn't make sende to turn the controls to be normal on a TV but have the text all rotated. That's what mode 1's for. Like if I had an Arcade cabinet. Still, it's nicer than only using half the screen in Vertical mode. I like full screen games.

The first time I tried Type 1 and I just turned my head. Now my neck hurts.
    Since it's a port of the arcade version, the continue screen is still there.

I played Ikaruga alot the first couple weeks I had it, but then I just got bored with it. It's a neat concept, but it gives the game too much of a puzzle aspect, between the chains and the colors, and if I want to play a puzzle game, I'll throw down in Mr. Driller or Tetris Attack.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I played Ikaruga alot the first couple weeks I had it, but then I just got bored with it. It's a neat concept, but it gives the game too much of a puzzle aspect, between the chains and the colors, and if I want to play a puzzle game, I'll throw down in Mr. Driller or Tetris Attack.
    Agreed. I appreciate Treasure trying to do something different, but I play shmups because I like the "turn your brain off and just react" almost Zen-like element and there's just too much thinkin' here for me.

BTW, the continue screen is there because you earn continues the longer you play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ikagura is an awesome, original, and very hard... You deffinately got your money's worth!....On a side note, are all you guys playing this game on gamecube or Dreamcast?(i play on DC)
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Never had a DC, never want one. That should be your answer.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cube obviously. Man that was so cool. Why are Japanese people so like.. fast? Or is this once again a faked video? Someone could easily do two people and choreograph it.

I have to say once more that the music and effects are so well done in this game. I wish there were more like this. I need more cool SHMUPS! Preferably ones that are easier to get and not Import only. Or if they are, then cheap Imports. Does DP have an official thread for all SHMUPS? Can I search the DB for it?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cube obviously. Man that was so cool. Why are Japanese people so like.. fast? Or is this once again a faked video? Someone could easily do two people and choreograph it.

I have to say once more that the music and effects are so well done in this game. I wish there were more like this. I need more cool SHMUPS! Preferably ones that are easier to get and not Import only. Or if they are, then cheap Imports. Does DP have an official thread for all SHMUPS? Can I search the DB for it?
    If you have a dreamcast I can suggest:

Psyvariar 2
    Shikigami no Shiro 2

Attain them in whatever way you will. I downloaded them on bittorrent, personally. Both of them are great games, although I havn't had a lot of time to spend with them.
    http://www.davidwhite.cjb.net
    CitizenWhite(at)hotmail(dot)com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soulblazer can't possibly be serious about never wanting to own a Dreamcast...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenWhite

If you have a dreamcast I can suggest:

Psyvariar 2
    Shikigami no Shiro 2

Attain them in whatever way you will. I downloaded them on bittorrent, personally. Both of them are great games, although I havn't had a lot of time to spend with them.
    Border Down = best import shooter on the Dreamcast. I can't recommend that game enough. It's a horizontal shooter that plays like a vertical shooter.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives