Thread: emulating a game

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default emulating a game

does anyone know how I could make a game, specifically one ofr the turbo duo into a rom?
    II just ordered one and Im worried with all the reports that it will break easily. I havent been able to find any du emulators and I sorta doubt the game is even available in rom format, but I was thinking if theres some way I could make it into a rom myself I wouldnt have to worry about that.
    Well thanks for any help!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. There are plenty of of emulators for the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine. You can download them from Zophar Domain. Magic Engine, Yame and Hugo can play cd titles as well.

Well if you have copier you can dump and hucard game and play it on a emulator. Although it's just as easy to just download the roms. For cd titles you can't dump them per se but you can make an image/Bin Cue of them and play them on your PC through a virtual cd emulator program like Daemon tools which is generally the most popular one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    I'm not exactly sure what your asking. There are plenty of of emulators for the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine. You can download them from Zophar Domain. Magic Engine, Yame and Hugo can play cd titles as well.

Well if you have copier you can dump and hucard game and play it on a emulator. Although it's just as easy to just download the roms. For cd titles you can't dump them per se but you can make an image/Bin Cue of them and play them on your PC through a virtual cd emulator program like Daemon tools which is generally the most popular one.
    Yeah what Im talking about is Turbo Duo games, not grafx 16. I guess when you refer to cd titles later on youre talkintg about the duo games. I knew about ME, Yame, and Hugo, but from their descriptions I couldnt tell about the cd games.
    The game Im talking about in particular is Godzilla for turbo duo. It took me forever just to find the game, so if I find a rom, Id be sort of surprised, though maybe if I search yahoo japan. I gather from you if I did find a rom for it Magic Engine could play it.

So if I get Daemon tools I can riip my duo cd, and turn it into a RoM for my PC more or less!? sweet.I'll look into i, but I guess Ill need to study it a bit.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you actually have to make an image or Bin/Cue of the game using a burning program first. I know Disk Juggler, Clone Cd and CDRWIN will work fine and have tested them myself. Once you've made your image or BIN/CUE just load the game up in Daemon tools and play away. You'll also have to change your cd drive that the emulator is using.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    Well you actually have to make an image or Bin/Cue of the game using a burning program first. I know Disk Juggler, Clone Cd and CDRWIN will work fine and have tested them myself. Once you've made your image or BIN/CUE just load the game up in Daemon tools and play away. You'll also have to change your cd drive that the emulator is using.
    Thanks alot for your help. I was reading through the FAQ for Daemon tools too.
    Well I got Disc Dump and tested it on an old psx game tekken. I made an ISO file and a CUE. But when I open up Daemon Tools I feel sort of slow for not being able to figure it out. It gives me the option of mounting the ISO and CUE file, and to tell you the truth Im not sure what that means exactly. I thought it would mount to my cd-rom drive or something, but instead it says its mounting to my non existant k drive. In fact when I see a list of mountable and unmountable drives with the program the only ones I see are drives that arent actualy on my computer. After some faq reading I saw that Roxio drives seem to cause Daemon cd reading errors. but Im not sure that this is even an error, much less the one that theyre talking about, or maybe everything is fine I just dont know what Im doing.

I guess what I really need to know is now that I have this 700mb ISO file sitting on my hard drive, what further steps must I take in Daemon tools to run it? Do I need to download one of those Turbo Emulators you mentioned before and somehow work that through Daemon? Or is there something I should click in Daemon that will automatically play it?
    Sorry to keep pestering you and thanks for any help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What Daemon does is take an ISO file (like the one sitting on your hard drive) and make it become a virtual drive letter. So, if you take that ISO and mount it as your K: drive (which you should not already have), then if you go look under My Computer you should now have a K: drive, and if you double click on it you will be looking at the contents of that ISO image.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    What Daemon does is take an ISO file (like the one sitting on your hard drive) and make it become a virtual drive letter. So, if you take that ISO and mount it as your K: drive (which you should not already have), then if you go look under My Computer you should now have a K: drive, and if you double click on it you will be looking at the contents of that ISO image.
    Thanks!
    oh ok, but now that I have my ISO as a drive, how do I play it directly on my computer as if it were an emulated game?
    Is there a way to do that through Daemon directly? or do I need some other device to compress and convert it to a rom first, so that I can then run it through a standard Duo playing emulator?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright guys I think I actually get it now.

Well I downloaded this emulator to test out tekken called epsxe, and besides the in game music not working which didnt bother me much and I can probably fix though the emulator settings, the game worked fine and ran from the ISO directly. It looked even better than its psx counterpart.

I wasnt aware an emulator could read an ISO directly and Im pretty sure none of my other emulators have this option though for SNES, NES, or Genesis. So I figured Id try out one of the duo emu;lators to see if it supported this.

Now as for The turbo duo I tried magic engine, but since I dont have the game in my possession yet and it costs money for ME, I figured Id wait to pay and try out some freeware emus first.

I got Hugo and tried it out. While it didnt have a ISO reasing option it did have a rom and a CD READING OPTION. So I guess this is where my Daemon Tools comes in. I guess that way I can constantly use it to make my ISO file a drive letter and then I wont have to worry about putting the cd in each time and can just load it from there. I havent tried it yet since I wont be getting the cd until monday but if my assumptions are correct it should all go smoothly. Now I sort of feel like Im mising the gist of Daemon Tools, but its all good as long as it lets me play and store the game on my hard drive. And I guess I can back up the duo cd itself directly, and also the ISO files.

However I do have a couple of questions though.
    Is there anyway I could easily convert an ISO to a rom since the ISO file takes up so much space?
    When I mount a drive that doesnt exit, where is the data stored? (because if its on my harddrive, it doesnt recognize that my C drive has less space.
    If I try to just burn the game onto a cd-r and run it on my Duo will it work?
    And does Daemon have any other important features pertaining to what Im doing that you think I should be aware of?

Thanks again guys and if it doesnt work when I get the game next week you can bet Ill be back!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well EPSXE can play ISOs directly. Not all emulators can do this. I know at least one of the Sega cd emulatosr can do this as well but I don't know how many oter emulators do this. Some of the emulator authors won't have this feature in there emulator cause of anti-piracy reasons. I know both Magic Engine and YAME can't play ISOs directly. You'll have to play off of a real cd or a virtual cd drive. Not sure of Hugo as I've never used it for cd emulation.

Well you can still use Magic Engine but it has a 5 minute time limit. You can get around that with save states.

You also need to download a system card to play cd games on Magic Engine and YAME. not sure how Hugo works but you probably need a system card for that as well. You also have to change the cd drive for your emulator if your using Daemon tools. You have to either go into the options, change it, or edit and change it in the ini file depending on what emulator your using.

Well some games with Daemon tools they'll run slighty faster/less loading than playing it through a real cd. Daemon tools can also be used to get around protection that are on cd games. I think this more applies to PC games than console games. You can also use Daemon tools to play hacked or translated games if you don't want to waste a CDR. It's also good to test to make sure you made a good image or Bin/Cue of the game you made. If it's doesn't work on Daemon tools than you know it will never work if you burned it to a CDR. That way you can test them out and see if they work before you waste a CDRs depending on what your doing and what your using Daemon tools for.

You can't convert a ISO to rom, real simple answer. The files are always going to be big. If you want to make the file size smaller make it into a ISO/MP3. There are guides on the net for doing this and I'm not going to explain as it's explained better elsewhere. That's the best thing you can do to make the file as small as possible.

The ISO you made is stored where you told the burning program to store it when you made your image or BIN/CUE. I think most of those programs default to a temporary folder but it really depends on the software and you easily change where it going to be stored. When you fire up Daemon tools you have to point to where that is.

Well you can burn the game and play it on a Duo. Just make sure you do it right. This is generally one of the biggest reasons why Duos die is because people don't make good copies of the game and they ruin there systems. That why you've heard that they break easily. You can also play a cdr game on any of the emulators as long as you burn it correctly. Personally I think your better off just to not play cdrs on a Duo just to be on the safe side and the system can last as long as it can.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man youve been a huge help!
    Thanks so much to you and Fleck
    I think now Im going to go look for a system card to download so I have everything ret up for the Duo.
    Take care and catch u lata

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I have it in ISO format and still can't get it to run on either HUGO, or the Magic Engine Demo Ive downloaded. I also tried running it direct from cd with no luck. Is there anyone I could try sending the ISO to and perhaps they could get it to run and tell me how? or maybe they could convert it to a standard rom like the ones often found online?
    if so please leave an AIM or MSN screename, or someway to find you on IRC or something. Or you can pm me the info.
    Thanks for any help!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll probably get more help if mention what kind of error you got, or what happens when it doesn't work. Saying you can't get it to run doesn't tell anyone that much if you want help from oter people. I don't have that game so I don't know if the emulators will play that partcular title.