Thread: So how does this Freeloader thing for Gamecube work?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So how does this Freeloader thing for Gamecube work?

I was just reading some old threads and some mentioned something called the Freeloader for Gamecube that enables you to play imports. How does it work, and how much does it cost? Can you still find it at Gamestop?

Also, will it enable you to play European games? The reason I ask is because I want to import a copy of the game Micro Machines from Europe and I want to make sure that it will work. Plus, this Freeloader thing sounds easier than modding my PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basically it's just like any other boot disc.
    There's also ActionReplay available which does pretty much the same thing. Note there are different versions available, make sure you get the latest and the US version.

Here's a pretty good list of supported games:

http://chrisjm.myby.co.uk/fl/us.htm

Something like $15 should get you one.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It gets you past the region checking in the boot sequence basically.

Only warning about trying PAL games on an NTSC Cube using it: you'll either need a game that is capable of running in 60Hz mode (some PAL games are put in that replacing the progressive scan mode available in the US version), or a TV capable of handling a 50Hz signal. Otherwise you're likely to get a black&white picture.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mayhem, could you explain that a little bit more to me? I'm not a very technical person, but I did anticipate some problems with trying to run a PAL format game on an NTSC system and TV. Do you have any idea if Micro Machines is capable in running in 60 Hz mode?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One other thing.......would a PAL game such as Micro Machines work better on an NTSC PS2 console or would I encounter the same problems as trying to run the game on an NTSC GC?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Okay... here's a non-technical technical explanation going down :P

NTSC is the picture standard of having a refresh rate of 60Hz with a colour frequency set at 3.58Mhz.

PAL is the picture standard of having a refresh rate of 50Hz with a colour frequency set at 4.43Mhz.

It's this difference in colour frequency which is why quite often NTSC 2600 games in a PAL 2600 make the colours flash. It's this difference in refresh rate why quite often PAL 2600 games in an NTSC 2600 makes the picture roll.

Got that? Right... a PAL game will be coded to output @ 50Hz and a 4.43MHz colour frequency. If your TV can't handle either of these requirements, then you'll either get no picture (because it can't handle 50Hz) or a black&white picture (because it can't handle the colour frequency). By making the game boot into 60Hz mode, the game is essentially doing an NTSC output.

That benefits us here because that means a game running at (usually) the way it probably was coded to begin with. Faster, smoother, better refresh etc... you get the picture. 60Hz mode in games was introduced as a means to compensate for us not having progressive scan mode (because HDTVs are hardly available in Europe). Almost all TVs here in Europe can also handle NTSC picture input. Ray for us. It means we get all the benefits of being to play imported games and DVDs with none of the drawbacks

Now to answer your questions... I don't know if Micro Machines supports a 60Hz mode. Generally that can be found in the instruction manual. I can ask some people if they know, but can't promise anything.

As for the second query, the same problems would apply. It's not the console setting the output specification to the TV, it's the game. Besides you'd need to chip your PS2 to begin with to be able to play imports...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Freeloader dropped to $5 at Gamestop now. So you might want to check there for it.

Also, as I mentioned in your thread in the Buying/Selling forum, Micro Machines was released in the Us on Ps2. As such, that would be the best option for you. No need to pick up a freeloader or mod your Ps2 and there is no worry over Pal or NTSC. The only setback is that Micro Machines was a very limited release. I've only ever seen it at Toys R Us.