Thread: Wanted: 5200 deck only

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wanted: 5200 deck only

I fried my 4-port now I'm looking for a working 5200 and all I need is the deck. I don't care if it's 4-port or 2-port. thanks for looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How'd you fry it? I just repaired one successfully and might be able to give you some advice if it is a similar problem.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's embarassing, but I was riggin up a power supply by splicing a plug to a comprabale base and mixed the wires up. Needless to say smoke was coming from the 4-port switch. I ordered a new PS and switch from 4jays but no go. I knew it was working before because I sort of got it working with another PS but never 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you're inclined to take a crack at fixing it, I'll tell you about mine:

I think two owners before me attached a 30-volt Atari 800 P/S to the 9-12-volt Atari 5200. The sucker didn't even turn on when I got it.

In a nutshell, I replaced the 2 MJE-210 transistors located just below the RF-box (on the right of the motherboard), and the 4013 IC located very near the power switch.

If you want I'm happy to discuss this in more detail later. Unfortunately, I'm busy holding down the down-arrow on another PC right now w/my left index finger, trying to revive a screwed up hdd w/Norton Disk Doctor, and I have to manually select nearly 4,000,000 blocks/sectors/something....., so I can't type very well right now.

I also have a bunch of pictures of the 5200 board up on my website that might help, but naturally my DSL is currently hosed, so that avenue is closed right now too.

lmk if u want to go further with this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a two port Atari 5200 deck only. I'll Trade it for a
    Working Colevision deck with controllers.
    You can e mail me at konrad@bevcomm.net
    Thanks,
    Tim :rainbow1:
    sphereman

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

have an atari 5200 deck. it is not tested because thats all i have is the deck, no hookups. i will sell it for 8 bucks plus you pay priority mail shipping on 6 pounds from zip code 26041. i would also prefer paypal.
    thanks,
    wolfie104

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro
    Well, if you're inclined to take a crack at fixing it, I'll tell you about mine:

I also have a bunch of pictures of the 5200 board up on my website that might help, but naturally my DSL is currently hosed, so that avenue is closed right now too.

lmk if u want to go further with this.

Thanks for the info. Not sure my electrical skills are quite up to that challenge but I'd really like to see your photos when you have them back up. I'm really curious as to what the phono plug in the 4-port is for. Any idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, The same DSL tech that was here last week returned this morning. So far, things seem to be working OK. SO, cross your fingers and go to:

http://64.81.193.244 , and click on the 'Videogames' link.

Now I need to get one thing clear for all of you bozos just chomping at the bit to nail my ass: My website SUCKS. It is still in a preliminary, I'm gonna-get-it-fixed-up-and-finished state (& has been for a while). I know it's stupid to have a 'videogames' link that only goes to one small videogame-related thing; I know the site is very stale, I know it's a bad site. You don't need to tell me.

Back to the topic at hand:
    You'll see a lot of pictures there. The reason the pictures are there is that while trying to fix my system, I requested & received a lot of invaluable help from folks on sci.electronics.repair. As I wasn't always knowledgeable enough regarding the various components, I posted the pics there so I could refer to them when discussing things. Also, I might now know answers to some questions posed on the page - I learned a lot doing the repairs.

As for the RCA Phono plug on the board, I'm not really sure what it's for. My guess is that it can be used to connect a different RF-cable should the original break. It occurs to me though, that I've never seen the plug mentioned online until your post. When I opened my unit up I had the same question. It seems to me that this would be a very good entry for the 5200 FAQ. I'd also think that Dan Kramer or Dan Boris would be good contacts to ask. I might do that...

I just fired off an email to both Dans, asking them what the jack is for. We'll see...