Thread: Opening Intellivision 2 controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opening Intellivision 2 controllers

Ok, besides a blowtorch or hammer, is there an easy method of opening Intellivision 2 controllers? I kinda pried around a bit, but couldn't find the locking tabs that hold it together. Anybody have any hints? Tips? Tricks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't.

Really. I don't open those up anymore unless I am utterly forced to. You will need to glue to re-assemble when done.

Pop off the bezel that holds the inlays in first. You will very likely break at least one of the tabs in the process. If you break one of the four prongs off of the bezel (these prongs push the side buttons back out), the bezel is trash. I've yet to find a work around to keep the side buttons functional if one of these uber fragile prongs breaks.

Then you can separate the top from the bottom. It's best to pry from the bottom of the controller. There are hook/hinges on the bottom left right. You may very well break one of these as well.

Common issues with these controllers include common MPCB dirtiness, and cracking, loss of circuits. Also the D- disc is notorious for eventually literally CUTTING through the D-pad area MPCB. I've heard of an 'O' ring fix for this, but have never tried it.

Inty 2 controllers may be detachable (good!), but in every other way they suck. Their buttons (all of them) have a crappy tactile response, the D-pad eventually destroys the MPCB if you actually use the damn thing, they keypad tears away easier, and they are VERY HARD TO SERVICE.

I don't like working on Inty 2 controllers. Can you tell?

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... well... I see you have some strong feelings here!

I just wanted to give the casings a good cleaning, but perhaps I'll just use an alternate method

I did get the overlay/disc bezel off intact. I'll be putting that right back where it came from...

It's funny, because the Inty 2 main unit practically disassembles itself compared to the original Intellivision. I gues they just transferred all the difficulty into the controllers.