View Poll Results: Which current gen system has the best game library?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dreamcast

7 12.28%
  • PS2

14 24.56%
  • X-Box

9 15.79%
  • Gamecube

27 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best current gen library

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default best current gen library

Which current gen system has the best game library?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no matter how much I luv the DC it is no longer a current gen system
    even though we all know it should be
    it is current gen technology yes current gen as in having a current library? well thats pretty much went the way of the dodo hasnt it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly had to say GameCube.

The Cube has a lot of games, unique games, you simply won't see anywhere else. All backed by the powerhouse that is Nintendo.

Sony has some unique stuff, but not anywhere near as much in volume. Not games I wanna try at least. Eye Toy is a cool gadget, and it's nice they're expanding so well, but I'm not interested yet. Give me a new Pikmin or Animal Crossing any day.

Then there's the whole idea of GBA connectivity. N made it work. And let's not forget the Game Boy Player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont have much interest in the current consoles, but i would go for playstation 2, followed by the gamecuce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think Gamecube wins this cause their library is a bit more focused and streamlined.

PS2 comes in second cause of sheer volume.

Xbox comes in third, but I see it in first place once EA starts releasing all the online sports titles, and they get the exclusives like Doom 3, True Fantasy, Fable, and Halo 2.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to vote for none of the above.

Cherry (Level 1) atari_overlord's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for gamecube just because it has more of my style of games but I think the XBOX library is starting to come along nicely. It used to be just an expensive paper weight to me but boy is my BOX library growing. This next year it will probably double.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The XBOX library deffinately has some great titles, and it will get even better next year......BUT i have to say, that i lean twords the dreamcast out of all the systems listed. Games like toy commander, sonic adventure, samba de amigo, chu chu rocket, cannon spike, border down, and many, many others make it the winner...
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked the gamecube of course. Too me, Nintendo simply puts out the type of games I like to play. (Mario, Sonic, Pikmin, Zelda) Their uniquness just rocks my world! And with the GB Player, just hands down Nintendo!

I am glad people on this site actually realize the value of a good game. That it doesn't just have to be guns and raping to have a good time in a game.
    I also can't consider DC a current system, but the Dreamcast comes in second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

From Best to Worst: Gamecube -> XBox -> PS2 -> DC

Gamecube doesn't have that many "junk games" and has some very unique titles.

XBox has Halo and Live and is just a powerhouse of a machine, so the games look great.

PS2 has a HUGE selection, but a lot of it is just plain junk and makes picking a game harder for this system.

DC is last because it is the oldest and I never really got into it.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Gamecube beats out the PS2 and XBox, but I think they all have great libraries thanks to multiplatform games.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast has the best without a doubt.

PS2 second.

Xbox is third, but it's library strengthens by the day, and is showing a lot of promise. I think at the end of the Xbox's life it will have beaten the PS2's library.

GCN is a distant fourth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I honestly had to say GameCube.

The Cube has a lot of games, unique games, you simply won't see anywhere else. All backed by the powerhouse that is Nintendo.
    me a new Pikmin or Animal Crossing any day.

Then there's the whole idea of GBA connectivity. N made it work. And let's not forget the Game Boy Player.
    You speak the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster

PS2 second.

Xbox is third, but it's library strengthens by the day, and is showing a lot of promise. I think at the end of the Xbox's life it will have beaten the PS2's library.

GCN is a distant fourth.
    i can accept that you voted GCN on 4th spot (though i wouldn't), but WITH DISTANCE??? sorry but that is just plain unrealistic bashing, have you even heard of games like Super Monkey Ball, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Resident Evil Zero, Wave Race, Billy Hatcher, Ikaruga and whatever???
    -Jan

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm also going with Gamecube. It may have the smallest overall library, but I believe the overall quality of the library is much higher than the other systems. PS2 has a few good games, but the vast majority of the games it has don't interest me in the least. XBox is similar, except that it has NO games that interest me at all. DC has a few good titles, but I think that the system is vastly overrated - plus, mine refuses to work right, so I haven't played it in a long time.

Here's my overall ranking:
    1. Gamecube
    2. PS2
    3. Dreamcast
    4. XBox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x

PS2 second.

GCN is a distant fourth.
    i can accept that you voted GCN on 4th spot (though i wouldn't), but WITH DISTANCE??? sorry but that is just plain unrealistic bashing, have you even heard of games like Super Monkey Ball, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Resident Evil Zero, Wave Race, Billy Hatcher, Ikaruga and whatever???
    I found Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker to be big disappointments.

Resident Evil Zero doesn't really appeal to me and I haven't played Billy Hatcher or Super Monkey Ball.

Wave Race was okay, and Ikuraga, whilst excellent - was on Dreamcast first.

I stand by my opinion.

But that's what is - an opinion! I'm not saying that everyone thinks the GCN has a crappy software library. I just find that the majority of GCN's library is unappealing.

People all have different tastes. I respect that, and you should also.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

PS2 second.

GCN is a distant fourth.
    The Dreamcast is no longer a current-generation contender and its library is weak simply because it is not growing at all, the system being dead.

The best games of the PS2's library are PS1 games, which I don't quite think it's fair to count. Most PS2 games are garbage - it's hard to find the wheat for all the tares.

The Xbox is showing promise, but is still somewhat weak. KOTOR adds a lot, HALO is big, and Fable will add a lot, and the online sports things are strong. I would agree with you that they will probably beat the PS2, but...

The GameCube may be lacking in the RPG department, the sports department, and possibly in the "online" department if you're counting that, but that's about it. They excel in just about every other area. Of course, if you're only interested in a few types of games, I can see why you don't like it...but we're not talking about "which systems have the most games you want to play," we're talking about the strength of the library as a whole - and the GCN gets my vote.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to vote for the PS2.

While the GC has some fantastic games in all genres I think the PS2 has more hidden treasures just waiting to be (re)discovered. Plus you have the genre leaders such as Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, The GTA series (one time exclusive) and a fair amount of off beat, cute, and quirky stuff that is fun to play. And I'm sure most RPG fans would vote PS2 over all the others.

And where are all the racing games for the GC? I mean good ones!

One thing about the GC is that it's easy to find games that are unique and/or familiar but sometimes you need more than that. But I gotta hand it to Nintendo they would get my vote for favorite game company over $ony and M$

As for Xbox... well I like that it has a few more 2D titles in the pipe, Metal Slug and SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos to name a couple and the racing titles are very good. Plus you can install various emulators on it and I think XBox live is cool but I have my PS2 online so no big whoop on that point

I just wish the PS2 was a little stronger machine sometimes

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube all the way for me! With games like Animal Crossing, Gotcha Force, Harvest Moon, Megaman Network Transmission, Mario Sunshine, Smash bros. melee, and viewtiful Joe, there's no question about it.

PS2 would be second with great stuff like .hack, Disgaea, la Pucelle, Gungrave, Kingdom Hearts, Megaman X7, and Suikoden 3.

Dreamcast, though not current, would be third. Who could forget the greatness of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Power stone 2, Sonic Adventure 1&2, and Skies of Arcadia?

Xbox is fourth, because I don't have one, and the only games I've played for it that I really liked were Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon Orta.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to go Gamecube...well it's the only one I have beside Dreamcast but I
    agree that its not a current anymore..sniff sniff

After E3 I also have to say that the Gamecube should be running away with
    this topic.