Thread: Selling large amount of games: Advice needed

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Selling large amount of games: Advice needed

I've come to a point where I could really use some extra cash. I'm talking a few extra thousand. I need a car, and I need to retain some money in my bank account for once. For the past year or so, I haven't really "collected" anyway. I've been buying only to sell on ebay. I haven't actively collected or played video games in some time. The only thing thats made me keep building this collection is the thrill of the hunt.

I know better than to sell all my games. I would obviously regret it for the rest of my life if I sold every last once. I don't think I would regret selling about 1000 games though. For example, keep the Genesis, sell a few hundred games like Rastan Saga II and Barney's Hide & Seek. Keep the toploading NES, but sell off games like Puzzle and Bible Adventures, which I obviously won't play.

Here's a quick rundown of what I probably should be selling:

10 Genesis units, 350 games, most boxed or complete
    10 NES units, 150 games, 50 doubles, maybe 40 complete games in that mix
    2 SNES units, 100 games
    70 Dreamcast games
    2 PS1's, 100 games
    3 2600's, 50 games
    2 GBC's, 30 games
    2 SMS, 30 games
    30 N64 games
    2 GG, 15 games
    1 Saturn, 15 games

Thats off the top of my head, but it's the bulk of it. I'm sure there are hundreds of doubles, extras, boxes, manuals, and so on. I need advice about going about selling it all though. All at once in one big auction? Splitting it up and making my life one giant auction hell for months? Selling bits and pieces to collectors for ever and ever? I really don't know what to do. I'd love to sell it all at once and have it be done with, but I might not get the most for it that way.

If you can offer any advice, please help. I'm sure a lot of us here have had to do the same thing and sell off a bulk of the collection. If you're in the MI area, or know somebody in the MI area looking for a big lot like this, please let me know.

-Hitman-

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going through a similar situation right now. I have roughly 2000 games and a few hundred systems to get rid of. Right now I am selling off the individual expensive games and smaller lots of games. Next I will be getting rid of promo stuff and other nick-nacks. Finally, I'll take whats left and make small lots with the systems and sell them in groups on ebay.

seems the most logical for me at least. good luck. =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Selling separately in small lots brings in the most money but takes the most time and effort.

Selling in one big lot brings in less money but gets it over the quickest.

At a minimum I would split the lots up per system. If you don't want to end up stuck with a lot of sports games, bundle them with either a system or other games.

Good luck! I'll bet if you post bundles here on DP (or on eBay and post links to them from here) you'll have some cash before you know it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sell any half-decent games on their own. just bundle commons (smb/dh's, tetris, crap lke that) nothing pisses me off more than these huge bundles.
    1) the seller is screwing themselves over
    2) theres stuff in those huge bundles i want but no way am i gonna buy a huge bundle!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna move this to the video game forum and keep a shadow topic going here, you'll get a little more exposure on the topic. If you do decide to start selling off your items, sega hitman feel free to start another topic with it.

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems like you really dont want the effort of selling each individual... however you should at least sell the lots as for each system.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If all else fails, I'm always willing to at least make offers on any large lots anyone wants to get rid of. I usually offer roughly what you would end up getting if you stuck everything in one big lot on ebay. Not what it would be worth selling separately, but it will at least save you some time and fee's.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

like everyone else has said...sell what you know is worth something seperately and then make up lots with the system and a bunch of crappy sports games with the rest....and post the links for the ebay auctions on DP if that is the way you decide to go with this.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and PM's. I have to think a lot of this over before I make any big decisions. I don't need the money that urgently, and I procrastinate, so if you've PM'ed me showing interest, it may be weeks before I even have lists ready.

Once again though, if you run or business or you're just loaded with spendable cash, pm me me and let me know. I want to give everybody a fair shot before I make up my mind. I may end up ebaying everything after all, but it would be a whole lot of work, and I'd definitely be tempted to sell to a forum member before running auctions. Thanks everyone!

-Hitman-