Thread: Am I wierd for keeping the boxes on very rare items?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Am I wierd for keeping the boxes on very rare items?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...106772175&rd=1

Maybe it is just me, but when a person is aware they have a very rare item, whether they play it or not, they usually keep it with the box. I don't know, maybe thats just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I don't think you're weird at all. I try to buy all of my stuff complete. The seller may have learned of the value later. My parents have a coleco with a few pretty rare games and they never thought of saving the boxes for the games. It was just a space waster to them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe he bought it without the box, or threw away the box before he knew it was rare. I save the boxes for everything now, but when I was a kid all the cheap cardboard boxes Nintendo stuff came in right up until the GC got ruined. Cardboard is just so easily destroyed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funkenstien
    I save the boxes for everything now, but when I was a kid all the cheap cardboard boxes Nintendo stuff came in right up until the GC got ruined. Cardboard is just so easily destroyed.
    Same here.

I'm also guessing the guy got it loose.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all my jaguar boxes are some where in a dump...damn me as a stuipd child!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_DEEM
    Just imagine all the boxes for old games at dumps around the world...and all the video game stuff people throw away...never to be seen again... Danm.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa.. there was a Space Invaders for the VB? Any screenshots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

poor bastards Ikept all of my boxes.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_DEEM
    Just imagine all the boxes for old games at dumps around the world...and all the video game stuff people throw away...never to be seen again... Danm.
    Man do I so hear you. It makes me very sad. I've been to several places lately asking if they had any loose NES manuals and they're like naaahhh, unless they have boxes we throw em away. =*(

I didn't even know there was a space invaders for the Vboy. I would actually like to have that.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Rare games = $$$
    Rare games complete = $$$ x 3-10

Ramp up that multiplier indeed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In that case, I've got a Complete Perfect Dark and Conker and an almost complete Banjo-Kazooie. (Missing manual. I do have the Banjo-Tooie manual though. Go figure.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I am posting again super late, but in case the picture is down and others are wondering, there was an eBay auction selling a copy of space invaders for virtual boy.

the only problem is this:
    he bought it loose, which means somebody else threw out the box.

this game came out way, way late in the vb existance, which means who would even buy this game for their kid?

think about it, somebody just threw out the box for this. i'm just confused as to why anybody would throw out the box to something like this. it would be like me buying a pc game that i knew was coming out in extremely limited quantities (or a dvd, or a console game, or whatever) and throwing out the box because hell, no need for a box when i have a cd case.

and also, if you are buying this game now, why? why even get it with just the cart. if you want to play space invaders, pick it up for one of the many, many consoles it has been out for. i may be wierd, but i dont understand the point of owning such a rare game without it being complete (with the exception of a few games that don't even come out complete, like the ntsc demo carts for virtual boy).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would buy a rare game loose to have something at least until I find it complete. That is why I have so much extra stuff. I collect SNES and now almost have a complete loose collection and complete complete collection of the rare games R5 and up. I have so much extra stuff that I don't know what to do with it.

I am collecting only the top rare games (R5 and up) and some of the other really good ones such as earthbound and chrono trigger. One day I will come back and get all the rest complete but it will probably be a few years. At least I already have the hard to find ones. Collecting the rest will probably be a matter of just laying down the cash.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It probably wasn't considered/known to be rare when it first came out though. Quite a number of Virtual boy games came out around the same time there. Even if it was the very last production game doesn't necessarily mean it will become rare. Original owner probably just tossed it. It happens. Besides this is a Japanese game, you know how they are about space saving sizes. The cart's only 1/5 the size of the box, or something like, just like some Game Boy game or Lynx. It takes up far less space as a loose cart than what of boxed. Imagine for a minute 20 boxed Virtual boy games, vs 20 VB carts, far less space..

Oh and why does anybody Need a box to play games? Just because it is rare or not has no baring on whether you should accept complete over loose, for a "collector" it all depends on the reason you collect and how you choose to do so. For many people, collecting games has always been about the CARTS, not always a complete package, why do loose Atari games sell for $500+ they should all have no value without box right? Really, if you collect to "display" and then there's still issues where the box looks like crap the cart inside is cool, Zellers for example, lots of LVAR where the box is identical but the carts are unique. People are all different and have different wants/needs. I collect complete 2600 games now, but I also collect PCE games, and own loose tg16/PCE hu cards, I collect & play these and the loose Hus work just as well as boxed IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    i dont understand the point of owning such a rare game without it being complete
    Because (shock!) not everyone is interested in buying rare games just because they're rare. Maybe the original owner was more bothered about actually playing games than having minty fresh ones to look at. Hell, maybe the box got damaged, or simply just lost.

And why buy Space Invaders for VB over the many other versions? Because playing any game on a VB is a different experience to playing it on a TV, perhaps?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a question for you lot!

I recently bought the Game Boy Godzilla game. I collect Godzilla stuff, so I want it protected. I went from shop to shop, used joint to used joint, asking if they had those plastic protective cases for the Game Boy games. They all looked at me like I was an idiot, and kind of laughed at said "no, we usually just throw those out". Am I crazy for trying to protect my carts? I would never in a million years think of keeping my VCR cassettes just laying around with no protection!

Am I weird for this???

And to answer the original quesition, you are NOT crazy for keeping the box. I also love models. And did you know that if you have one of the original boxes for one of the old Aurora Monster kits you can fetch a couple hundred JUST FOR THE BOX!!! So no, you never know what you have, and what just might become the valuable part of a collection.