Thread: Is this right?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this right?

Check out the shipping charges on this. This cant be right, can it?
    http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...106277186&rd=1

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That seems a little bit excessive for a genesis, but I dunno. Cost about that much for a guy to ship my boxed Neo Geo CD through UPS, and it's pretty heavy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I'd say with the PSU it should only be about $12

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats fucked up. The guy who won this auction payed eight bucks, plus shipping 28 bucks. He could have bought it from an online store for cheaper, or even better went to ANY pawn shop or thrift store, and got one for ten. Every thrift store I have been to in my area has at leats two of em. Matter of fact, I bought a sega cd AND a genesis for twelve bucks at the local salvation army a week ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Too Much

I think that eBay is plagued by people who charge way too much for shipping. All these people that you se selling games for only .25 and then charge you 5.00 for shipping, only to see that the postage on the envelope was less than a buck.

That is way too much for a Genisis. As I remember from the last time I had a one it was mostly plastic construction and weighed less than three pounds. That is a rip!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There should be some kind of standard based on weight to stop this bullshit. That particular auction ended which means SOMEBODY got ripped off. Given the plethora of genesis systems out there, I would chalk this one of to being ill informed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

" Lucky winner pays $20 Shipping anywhere in the U.S. Winner has option of adding $5 for priority shipping (2-3 days). "

So is he shipping media mail? That would cost him like 3 bucks tops. And then to get priority it would be 25 dollars...damn.
    Midwest

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, a seller I am dealing with right now charged me $7.51 for shipping and I still have not received the item so I emailed him to see what was up. He told me he shipped it media mail!! I am sure he only paid like $2.50 for that so I guess the rest is profit on top of the sale price. In his auction he stated that shipping is approx $5.50. So he upped the price and I only live about 100+ miles from the guy! Here is the link to the auction in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    " Lucky winner pays $20 Shipping anywhere in the U.S. Winner has option of adding $5 for priority shipping (2-3 days). "

So is he shipping media mail? That would cost him like 3 bucks tops. And then to get priority it would be 25 dollars...damn.
    Actually a game console doesn't qualify for media mail shipping. The options are priority mail or regualr mail. I'm not saying that it can't be slid through unnoticed as media, its just technically not allowed.

Oh and again, Ebay considers postage different than shipping. Just because someone charges you $5.00 for shipping doesn't mean that the postage is going to come out to $5.00.

Keep in mind that when someone ships something via media mail the box is NOT free like it is with priority mail. A lot of people create set shipping for items since they don't know in advance if their customer is going to live down the road or across the country. I know that sometimes I make an extra buck on shipping and other times I end up paying an extra buck or so out of my pocket because I under charged someone for shipping. It usually all balances out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and again, Ebay considers postage different than shipping. Just because someone charges you $5.00 for shipping doesn't mean that the postage is going to come out to $5.00.

Please explain this a little more clearly. How exactly does ebay consider shipping?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

That's the same thing I do. Griking, but I think $20 for this by regular mail is still high. $15, tops.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

That's an absolute, total rip-off.

I paid something like $15 to ship a whole Genesis/SCD combo with four controllers - and that was Priority Mail, for God's sake! This guy wants to rape someone for $20 on standard shipping, and would like another five bucks if you want it faster.

Yeah, something definitely needs to be done about shipping charges. When I sell, my shipping costs are based very closely on whatever the standard first-class rate will be plus a tiny markup for the materials used (boxes, bubble mailers, etc.).

Sellers (not me, of course) would complain if eBay imposed some sort of a "suggested" shipping cost, though, since it removes any reason for them to have such an insanely high fee attached.

I'm doing most of my own shopping outside eBay these days - it's getting hard to find really good deals like I could before.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I know that sometimes I make an extra buck on shipping and other times I end up paying an extra buck or so out of my pocket because I under charged someone for shipping. It usually all balances out.
    I've done the same a couple of times, and I'm willing to live with it - I'm decent enough not to tell the buyer that their shipping will now be more expensive than I originally intended because I miscalculated. If I screw up, then it's my cost of doing business - live and learn.
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by number6

Please explain this a little more clearly. How exactly does ebay consider shipping?

eBay considers shipping whatever cost you charge to ship your product to your customer. This includes, postage but isn't only postage. Factors can can include packing materials and other expenses.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by number6

eBay considers shipping whatever cost you charge to ship your product to your customer. This includes, postage but isn't only postage. Factors can can include packing materials and other expenses.
    Also Ebay considers any price above actual shiping cost to be handling.

And I find it amsuing he's using a Mario graphic to sell a Sega genesis. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Yes...$12 worth of "packing materials". That's what we're looking at here, really.