Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal SLug 3 Xbox review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal SLug 3 Xbox review

Ign sucks anus. I hope I piss more then a few people off with that statement. Sense the sarcasm, there is a little bit in there! Anyway, I have just read the IGN Xbox review of Metal Slug 3. I really didn't like it. While the review was kind of positive I didn't like the overall tone the writer had toward 2D and shooters (although she did claim to love the series, i dont buy it with a review like that). Slight rant time, I have never shared the opinion that shooters are just mindless button mash fests. I have always felt to excel in shooters you must be "on your game" at all times. To play a shooter perfectly (no deaths, all or all enemies that are possible destroyed, etc.) your senses have to be at the highest alert. Your mind must be sharp and ready to get out of the stickiest of situations. Am I alone on this or what? The link reads "Metal Slug 3:It may be best in the series, but is it good enough for Xbox?" I would have to say it may be too good for Xbox. Don't get me wrong Xbox fanboys, I love Bill Gates baby, but this title is far superior to most of what's on the box. Just my opinion of course, you dont have to agree, but you should!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shit, Here's the link to the article, good night

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/518/518928p1.html

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

im hoping to pick this game up tomorrow at my local EB (they said the shipment comes tomorrow) if i can get up there....then ill post about how i felt the game was. i know its been out a while on the mvs aes, but metal slug 1 is the only metal slug i have for my mvs so metal slug 3 on the xbox will be a completely new game for me and i cant wait to try it out.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, is it good enough for xbox? That's funny. After playing it on kawa about 50 times I'd have to say it's beyond good enough.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

When I first met my boyfriend he was an XboX fanboy. Now the only recent game he's seen in awhile that's really excited him (besides KOTOR and FABLE) is Metal Slug 3 and that's soley because it's a 2D shooter.

So yeah... stupid review. :P

The 2D Sprites have a lot of variety, if relatively limited animations, and the hand-drawn backgrounds work nicely as a backdrop to the action. But this is an Xbox game now and to have nothing popping out visually is a real shame.
    Oooh... now that's an outright lie. For a 2D game Metal Slug 3 looks visually very stunning. And comparing it to a 2D/3D hybrid like Viewtiful Joe is hardly fair.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Metal SLug 3 Xbox review

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Ign sucks anus. I hope I piss more then a few people off with that statement. Sense the sarcasm, there is a little bit in there!
    I don't disagree with you. IGN's writing is HORRIBLE. David Smith was the one talented writer they had, but they didn't feel his insightful criticism was worth the cost of his social retardation.

(although she did claim to love the series, i dont buy it with a review like that).
    I'm fairly certain the author is a dude with a chick name. There are only a few female reviewers in the pro ranks, and most of 'em don't know what they're talking about (i.e., OPM's token chickie-girl). The female pros who DO know their stuff (i.e., Imagine's Francesca Reyes) are usually RPG-centric.

-- Z.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Re: Metal SLug 3 Xbox review

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    The female pros who DO know their stuff (i.e., Imagine's Francesca Reyes) are usually RPG-centric.
    And not to pigeonhole here, but most female gamers are RPG-centric anyway.

The only thing that really stood out to me about this review is this:

This is an arcade game, but I'm not reviewing an arcade game -- I'm reviewing this as an Xbox title. I have to judge Metal Slug 3 against the rest of the Xbox library. With that in mind, does Slug 3 equal its $40 value?
    Why does one have to consider it against all of the other Xbox titles? One quick look at the screenshots will tell you if this game's for you or not. I thought this was being released as more of a niche title, not a mass-market product that is slated to sell an assload of copies. For a game that's super tough, you'll get your $40 worth in gameplay, not eye candy or other such tomfoolery.

I will buy it, to show support that games like this are worth bringing out, even if asshead reviewers like this IGN guy don't think so. And I played the demo any enjoyed it quite a bit.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care what the review says; I'm buying it. People say this is the best Metal Slug, and people love it, so I should take a shot and buy it. Also, I've gotta support SNK, and also buy SNK VS Capcom Chaos when it comes out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've personally had it up to here with video game reviews. Maybe I give Ebert too much credit, but I really *do* wish those in the business would take a few lessons from him.

Reviewers are supposed to be there to inform the public. Taking potshots at games you didn't like doesn't inform me of anything - other than the fact that perhaps you don't know how to write a review properly.

(Which isn't to say that this review takes potshots - it's just a pet peeve of mine).

I do agree with the reviewer in that a game like this needs to be marked down lower than $40. I'm not sure I agree that the rating of a game should be dependant on it's price though.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I gotta play devil's advocate here ::afixes horns::

A review is an opinion (hopefully) some facts on whatever it is being reviewed. If a review was just to inform, then it'd be a white paper or you'd just read the back of the box. Because this game series is near and dear, some take such reviews to heart. Yes it's a niche title, but the type of gamers who visit IGN aren't "niche" and IGN serves up the dish accordingly.

As a $40 title, is this game ported from 3 year old arcade game something you want to play on a cutting edge system like the Xbox? In many gamers' eyes the answer is "no". They didn't spend $200 or $179 or $150 to play something that could probably be ported to a Playstation. For $10 more they could get a game or a couple Platinum Hits that shows them they got their money's worth with games like Project Gotham Racing, KOTOR, Crimson Skies or Ninja Gaiden. A lot of people around here made a little stink about the NES re-releases on the GBA: single NES games (like Super Mario Bros. or Excitebike) for $20. The "bonus games" or eCards aside, what's the difference?

[/devils_advocate]

One thing I didn't quite get was the reference to Live play and system link play along with how that would "add to the value". How is playing someone across the globe or someone playing on another TV screen going to add to the value of the game? You'd still be playing the same game with a partner only you may not be able to physically see them (if the system link goes to another room).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Gah! Stupid web slowdown and Konqueror. Clicked Submit but it just sat there.

Sorry about that all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Doh! Double post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

my question about this game, is the xbox live enabled just for scoreboards and rankings, or can you actually play against or coop with some else on the live network?
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Playstation CANNOT properly handle MS3.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

post so good, ya gotta post it 3 times

i do think taht 40 is a bit much...but i'll probably buy it anyway

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with paying $40 for one of the best games of all time. The price is fine right where it's at.

I guess original in the review, it said something along the lines of "Why pay $40 for this when you can play it on your pc for free?" It was edited out later. Yea, lots of us play romz, but wow, what a fucking stupid thing to put in a review.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

My question is -- I've never played a Metal Slug game before, I like 2D shooters like Contra, and I have a new XBox not getting much attention right now.

Would I like this game? Should I consider plopping down $40 in hard earned bucks for it?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It kicks Contra's ass in every way.

I love this game.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

considering how much the mvs and aes versions of metal slug 3 go for i think $40 is a bargain.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soulblazer
    Should I consider plopping down $40 in hard earned bucks for it?
    No doubt - it's that good. As already said, the Neo Geo versions will run you at least close to $100 (MVS being the less pricey option) and anyone who's spent that much will tell you it's worth it.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!