Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspected Pirate MegaDrive, Confirmation please?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suspected Pirate MegaDrive, Confirmation please?

I found this auction the other day ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I am quite convinced this machine is pirated, as I've seen identical systems in Russia and Turkey that were, and used this exact design, all in different boxes. I even saw one with the wrong CPU speed. All had the big 2 in the logo, a toggle swtich and not a push button for Power, an odd color for the Reset and Start buttons, et cetera. I also don't know of any MDs that came with Sonic 3. Any info would be schweet.

If you'd like to see other versions of this I've seen, I threw together a page here ..
    http://www.epicgaming.net/pirate_md_hw.php
    - Epicenter

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm about 95.7% sure this is a legit system. The box is very nice, and the fact that the game actually comes with the legit manual almost basically screams "REAL".

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's quite possible they bought and bundled the cartridge.. but I HAVE seen pirates with duplicates of full color manuals. Near identical ones, even. The fact that the same machine was found in other countries with the wrong CPU type, no RF shielding between the board and plastic, a failure prone, unauthorized power brick (12v instead of the proper 9v), a voltage regulator that overheated to 90C, et cetera tells me this is more of the same, just sold in Japan.

Finished uploading the images to the EG page above if you want to take a look at them. Seems pretty damning.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    It's quite possible they bought and bundled the cartridge.. but I HAVE seen pirates with duplicates of full color manuals. Near identical ones, even. The fact that the same machine was found in other countries with the wrong CPU type, no RF shielding between the board and plastic, a failure prone, unauthorized power brick (12v instead of the proper 9v), a voltage regulator that overheated to 90C, et cetera tells me this is more of the same, just sold in Japan.

Finished uploading the images to the EG page above if you want to take a look at them. Seems pretty damning.
    Ok, let's say he DID buy and bundle the cart and manual...did he also print up the new box to show that it included Sonic 3.

The system is legit, now that I look at it more I can safely say this is a 100% legit system. I'll bet my entire game collection that it is. I've been in this hobby too long and I have a nack for pointing out an noticing pirates from Legit systems...as well as games.

Also, being that identical systems in bootleg form have shown up in other countries proves nothing, ever seen some of the bootleg Famicoms? Hell, some of them look so real that it's shocking.

Either way, it's real, I cannot provide you anything to back that up but believe me. It IS real.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not saying the seller made this. I'm saying he bought it in Japan, as he claims, from someone who thought it was real. I asked for a photo of the bottom vents. On the pirate machines, these holes show the PCB .. there is no metal shielding. Without it, the machine violates various regulations, including FCC codes. All Sega hardware was shielded. None of the pirate machines like this were ..

.. that should confirm it.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Maybe they violate US regulations but when did you become the regulation expert for systems from other countries including Japan, Turkey and Hong Kong?

Actually, I did look at your pics in the webpage you made...that system is legit also. It's just the way they do things in Turkey. Seals and system voltage rating, bundled games, controllers, colors etc etc etc all range from country to country...and are all different.

Ahem....
    ( wonder why this legit system says "sega console" and has 2 controllers? silly people!)

Your knowledge of imports and pirates seem to range from little or none but you still tell me that I am wrong. Aren't you the same guy who "ripped the eBay seller a new one" with his "pirated" famicom system that you though was, but turns out was legit, where in turn you got ridiculed here for posting your magnificant triumph over the "evil ebay pirate man"?

And on that note...I'm done here, the system on eBay and the system from Turkey are both legit. Take my advice however you will, because I will not be giving you any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the legit. I cannot put my finger on anything that would say it's a pirate console.

I can however find some arguments on your site where I can lay a reasonable doubt:

Machine Top - Note the unusual markings and coloration as well as the slide-type switch.
    All used in legit consoles, too.

Box Front View #1 - Pretty professional looking.. except Sega never calls them 'systems', not 'consoles'.
    Sega does call them consoles.

Box Front View #2 - The real deal only includes one controller.
    No. Some came with two controllers.

Box Back View #1 - Far too many languages on the back of this box.
    # Manual Front - Too many languages used on this!
    # Manual Back - Too many languages! This was clearly made for export. The Sega labelling is pretty bold ..

Bigger sale region, more countries, more languages. Just like in Scandinavia.

Box Back View #2 - Note the low-quality game screenshots.
    The quality on legit ones wasn't exactly what I would call high, either.

Quality Seal - Sega doesn't use this seal.
    Now I don't know if Sega uses this or not (it could be by the company that distibutes or makes these consoles with license) but I do know that manufacturing big holograms like in picture isn't really that cheap and it would be hard to believe they would justify the cost.

Warranty Card - I have a hard time believing they do repairs..
    So they made up a logo and company, put the logo in the hologram and the warranty card. Jeez, it's just a Mega Drive. Have you checked the company's backgroung and find what other things it does (if anything)?

The other points I will leave open.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legit.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Suspected Pointless Epicenter Post, Confirmation please?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's legitimate, please provide proof. The ones pictured below are the real deal .. all machines that looked like the one in this auction I've cracked open were pirate and used nonstandard, faulty hardware and had no real Sega license at all. Not even RF shielding..

- Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, a list of just some of the things wrong with these machines:

- 10 MHz CPUs .. still running at 8 MHz
    - Voltage regulator that runs at 70-90C when it never exceeds 50 on the real deal
    - No Power LED, just the pins on the board for one.
    - Sound issues.

Official consoles aren't this screwy.
    - Epicenter

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. Epicenter emailed me this morning and told me that I am selling a bootleg system, which is entirely false. He made a similar error regarding a famicom system a month or so ago, so I encouraged him to post here.

Here is the information on the bottom of the system.

Model No: HAA-2505
    Rating: 7W
    Serial Number: A30116265
    Sega Enterprises Ltd. MADE IN JAPAN.

Moreover, the system connects to and works with the Mega CD.

He replied:

"Real Sega model #s always started with 'MK-'"

My response:

The following are the model number of my Japanese Mega Drive Products:

My Mega Drive Model 1: HAA-2510
    My Mega CD: HAA-2910
    My Mega CD Model 2: HAA-2912
    My Mega Jet: HMJ-0300

Sincerely,

16-bit

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you wouldn't mind taking a photo of the bottom of the machine, and the circuitboard, I think it would clear everything up.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 16-bit
    Mr. Epicenter emailed me this morning and told me that I am selling a bootleg system, which is entirely false. He made a similar error regarding a famicom system a month or so ago, so I encouraged him to post here.

Here is the information on the bottom of the system.

Model No: HAA-2505
    Rating: 7W
    Serial Number: A30116265
    Sega Enterprises Ltd. MADE IN JAPAN.

Moreover, the system connects to and works with the Mega CD.

He replied:

"Real Sega model #s always started with 'MK-'"

My response:

The following are the model number of my Japanese Mega Drive Products:

My Mega Drive Model 1: HAA-2510
    My Mega CD: HAA-2910
    My Mega CD Model 2: HAA-2912
    My Mega Jet: HMJ-0300

Sincerely,

16-bit
    Dammit epicenter do you get some kinda stupid thrill scouring eBay and finding innocent sellers to just to send them e-mails and tell them there systems are pirates? This makes what, the THIRD time you a wrong? Probably wrong a lot more than that but this is just the 3rd we know of.

I have a little more advice for you...LEARN about what you are looking at before making brasen conclusions based on what you THINK you know...which is wrong.

This topic is over, you asked for professional help and we have given it to you, now let's just wait until the mods lock this pointless waste of a topic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, second time, not third .. no one has provided ANY PROOF I am wrong. You're being extremly rude. And you act like I'm antagonizing people, I'm just collecting info and informing people if their auctions are inaccurate. Someone sent me this, asked if it was real or not. So, I'm finding out. Jeez. :P
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    Actually, second time, not third .. and you have no one has provided ANY PROOF I am wrong. You're being extremly rude. And you act like I'm antagonizing people, I'm just collecting info and informing people if their auctions are inaccurate. Someone sent me this, asked if it was real or not. So, I'm finding out. Jeez. :P
    1 - Famicom
    2 - Mega Drive 2 from Turkey
    3 - Mega Drive 2 with Sonic 3 from Auction.

Proof? You want proof...scour google and look yourself. We gave you professional answers saying that it was real, and you just don't seem to believe us. Why would we lie to you?

It seems to me that you are antogonizing people, you e-mailed this guy twice telling him that his systems were pirates BEFORE asking questions here and/or doing a little research for yourself.

Call me rude if you want, I'm just rude because I find you and your uninformed, smug, and highly illogical posts and opinions on pirate systems to be very annoying. Ever hear of "mind your own buisness"? How about doing that for a change instead of butting into other people auctions.

Now I'm going to see if I can find a mod to lock this.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait for some photos before you accuse me of 'antagonizing' people. Jeez.
    - Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not too inclined to listen to you or Bratwurst because you treat me like a waste of life. :P I'd like to see proof these machines are official because they're designed like garbage. I find it very hard to believe.
    - Epicenter

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There, proof. Thanks, man, you're right. It's probably official, then. I know the Russian and Turkish ones on my site are NOT official however. One has low-grade unofficial components and one came with a 10-in-1 pirate cartridge and the fake Sega seal.

See, I'm not some fucking criminal or psychopath, but when EVERY MEGADRIVE LIKE THIS YOU SEE is pirated you assume they all are. In the future please provide PROOF instead of just directly insulting me and bitching me out for a very logical assumption from my experiences.
    - Epicenter