Thread: Famicom disk system power question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom disk system power question

I purchased a famicom system along with about 4 cartridges including one that contains 190 different game along with a family computer disk system. The cartridge system works great but unfortunately the deal came with only one power supply and apparently two are needed to use the disk system . There are about 21 different disks which I can't test because of the lack of power. Does anybody know what type of power supply I need for the disk system and whether the power supply to the nes should be sufficient. I have tried the nes power supply which did nothing. If the nes power supply is sufficient does anybody out there have any ideas what I can do to get the disk thing working. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES power supply will not work with the Famicom Disk System because it supplies AC power, and the drive requires DC power. Hopefully you haven't damaged the drive by applying AC poawer. The NES will run with either AC or DC power, which is why you can also power an NES with something like a Genesis or TG16 adapter, which are both DC.

I think the FDS requires 9 volts, but the official FDS power adapter that I have actually outputs almost 16 volts DC. So you should be safe using anything up to 16 volts DC, as long as the connector fits (obviously) and the center is the positive conductor. Let me know if you'd like some more details.

You can also run the drive with six (I think) C cell batteries. Notice the batter compartment in the back on the top.

Also, it might be helpful to mention that the most common probably with Famicom Disk Systems is a brokwn drive belt. Every system I've come across has needed a replacement, and they're not readily available, even in Japan. I was able to go to a VCR repair store to find a suitable replacement. And once you replace the belt, there's a fairly tedious drive alignment process that you'll have to go though. Yahoo!! Old systems are so much fun!

Good luck!