Thread: Tetris Worlds.. Best damn Tetris I've ever played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tetris Worlds.. Best damn Tetris I've ever played.

I got this the other day at GS. I bought the Tetris Worlds/Clone Wars double disc for $10 rather than a stand-alone Tetris Worlds. (Which is like almost $20. Weird I can get both games for less than either of them cost separately.)

I love this game. I guess I just love Tetris, but Cascade is my new favorite. I love puzzle games in general, but for some reason the special effects and animations and features make me happy here.

But, I'll be honest.. I have never played a lot of Tetris games from the recent past. I think (Aside from Tetris Attack, a Tetris game in name only) the last Tetris game I bought was Tetris 2. And I loved that too. I've never played:

Tetrisphere
    The New Tetris
    Next Tetris
    Tetris Plus
    Anything after Tetris 2 really. I may have missed out on some good ones, and everywhere I go,Tetris Plus for PSX is too much money for me to bear parting with for a PSX game.

What does the LIVE feature do? Can I actually play actual Tetris games with other people online? Or is it just a High Score thing?

I am wondering, how does the GBA version of Tetris Worlds compare to the Xbox version? Obviously, graphics wise it's not appealing to me. But I like Tetris and want to give it a try. But not if it utterly sucks.

Boy, I hope eventually they release the original NES Tetris (Nintendo's version, not Tengen.) as an NES Classic GBA game. I loved the music and graphics in that one. For an NES game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I found Tetris Worlds to be pretty crummy. I mean the game itself is fun as it is regular Tetris but all it has is "special" arround the world backgrounds... and the Xbox Online play is like a Tetris playing chatroom pretty much which is all it has going good for it. Dont get it on anything other than Xbox though especially GBA... unless you dont have the original Tetris for GB or are currently involved with the greatest portable puzzle game ever created, Kirby's Star Stackers.

But my favorite Tetris games would be:
    Tetrisphere (Nintendo 64)
    Tetris Plus (SEGA Saturn)
    Tetris Grand Master CHallenge 1 and 2 (Arcade)
    and of course the original Tetris (Arcade / NES / Gameboy)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I never played it, but the reviews I've heard/read were terrible. Most ranging in the 2 out of 10 range or something of the sort.

Then again, I really really really liked Evil Dead for PS2, and I'm not a huge fan of the series either, so go fig!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno. I guess I just love Tetris.

As I said, I'd really love Nintendo to bring the NES Tetris to the GBA just so I can have it in full screen and color. Also, I loved the music. I already have the original Tetris and it works great on my GBA, but is just weird with no Score saving or color. (Since the Classic NES games will probably have the Japanese versions "Save Hi-Score" option. I always thought it was silly for the GB Tetris to have a Name entry but not actually SAVE the name. That always got me. Waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mh i love the original but Tetris Worlds just sucks for me, bought the GC version cheap to have a current-gen tetris, played it for a while, never touched it again, what i disliked most was the choice of colors and the overall hue, man, my eyes really hurt after a while....

i still prefer these:

Tetris (NES, GB)
    Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES)
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I thought Tetris Worlds was okay, the only thing I really didn't like was the music. The ambient-style really didn't do anything for me, and would've prefered something a little bit more catchy.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't really care for the way Tetris Worlds handles level increases, especially in multi-player games. Tetris DX for Gameboy Color is a fantastic version, with link support, vs. computer mode, score saving, and multiple player profile save slots. Also, check out Bombliss (I think it's called "Tetris Blast" in the US release). I played this a lot on my iBook during boring lectures. Heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's not perfect.

I really like the animation effects and graphical design of the blocks as well as Cascade Mode. But the rest, it's too much or stuff. Is there even a Scoring system? I miss scoring.

I saw some videos of the N64 "New Tetris" but I'd really like that on a newer system. It looked good, and also had the neat "ghosting" feature I have lived without for so long but always wished I had but never knew. Man, ghosts.. why didn't we have this back in the day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tetris Attack rocks! My wife and I love that game. I've gotta get a copy one of these days. Its on my want list but SNES games are a lower priority. Just the same, this one is numero uno for me as far as Super Nintendo goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Tetris Attack is killer! I love it! It's not really "Tetris" in the same way Tetrisphere isn't Tetris, it's just the name. But it is a very fun and addicting puzzler too. I love it. I have the SGB version. I would love an Advance version of all the originals.

Dr. Mario
    Tetris
    Tetris Attack
    Puyo Puyo

I know the Dr. Mario is already a Famicom Mini in Japan. And Puyo has been ported to everything ever made. I could go for a GBA Tetris (Original scroing rules. As I said, the NES version would rock.) and Attack. (Maybe a port of the original SNES version with the Yoshi's Island theme. Hell, I'd take the Pokémon themed one just to have the game.

Too bad there's about a ton of PSX Puzzlers I love buy have never seen elsewhere. Builders Block for one. Would love a GBA version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really like the import Sega Tetris for Dreamcast

tetris is great on its own, but add monkeys and the fun factor explodes

plus there is a little UFO catcher machine that lets you collect prizes for prolonged play... during the sequence they play a new version of the original Dr Robotnik theme from Sonic 1

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do like Tetris Wolrds for Xbox the best simply because of its online mode. Lets you play against 3 other players online with voice chat support, scoreboards, custom soundtracks and a host of other goodies. Definately my favorite because of the online mode.

My second favorite Tetris is The New Tetris for N64. The music is outstanding, it's basically the prequel to Tetris Worlds, only the backgrounds are much, much nicer. It does support a 4-player mode as well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

So, have you tried The New Tetris on the N64? I think it's a lot better than Worlds. There are some unique gameplay elements that really set the game apart from the rest. The 'hold' piece was one of the best things this game introduced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish N64 games weren't so expensive loose at EB and GS. I've seen it there many times, but if I'm not mistaken, it's just a little too much for me to bear spending on an N64 game these days. Especially cart only.