Thread: Genesis completists…what’s your price for sports titles?

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis completists…what’s your price for sports titles?

My local game store is finally discounting some of their older titles, which means the $2.99 Genesis sports bin is down to $1.50. I couldn’t resist and bought 8 of the mostly non-199X sports titles (some were new, and all were complete). As I near 600 Genny titles, I’m realizing that most of what is left are these cookie-cutter sports titles that I have been avoiding like the plague.

My question for those near the goal is, how did you acquire all of those miserable sports titles and what did it cost you? Did you go one-at-a-time or buy out the unsold dregs of a game store? Did you bite at $4.99, $2.99, $0.99, or are you waiting for the dime sale?

I’m considering going back for some 199X titles, but it sort of makes me feel odd to specifically buy these games instead of getting them in the bottom of a rummage lot. Just wondering what others have done.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Around here...the Genny sports games are at an almost universal 99 cents. Occasionally I can get them for 50 cents, but usually 99. A lot of places have gone to wrapping up 10-packs for $5...there's usually only 1 or 2 carts I need in these though...

I really need to get my Genesis stuff in order so I know which games I have...I'm going to concentrate on that for a while I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As of today, my GameStop has finally shipped out every old classic game. So I am now down to eBay.

I'd pay maybe $99 to $1.99. Maybe $2.99 if it's a nice cart. But now that I am only to eBay, I will buy in bulk auctions. And may not even have a chance. So my collection may sit at its current count of 160 Genesis, Sega CD and 32X games.

Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll pay £1 ($1.80), possibly £1.50, for any I come across in the wild that I haven't got, as long as they are complete & in nice condition.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ebay CONSTANTLY has auctions for "100 different sega genesis sports games" for around $50-$75 plus shipping ($20-$25)

Which brings the total to $70-$100, $.70 to $1.00 per cart. Which is the most I will pay for sega genesis sports games
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$5 AU if its worth playing, if not then i'd get them a lot of them on ebay with an aim of about $2-3 each. Of course with my paltry 60 MD games I wont have to buy bulk sports games for a while now. :P

One thing about the 199x games is that they do look nice on the shelf with their distinctive white boxes and black text (EA sports only though).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These days I only buy them if they're in a lot with other stuff I want. I don't figure the value of the sports games into what I'm willing to pay for the lot either, so essentially nothing is what I'll pay.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$1 loose
    $2 boxed

these games are often dismissed by gamers but for a collector looking to have a definative and representative genny collection they're a must. thats why you see so many of them, more so than sonic or phantasy star EA sports games made the genny the monster hit it was. i wonder if sports collectors will ever take an interest in them since the annuals feature the rosters for classic teams?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i wonder if sports collectors will ever take an interest in them since the annuals feature the rosters for classic teams?

Sounds good in theory but it doesn't hold up to the past history of sports games. I think very few sport collectors would want older games with these rosters, maybe if the game included Star Wars characters I'm interested in these things, like the cool classic rosters in the first Madden or Tecmo Bowl but I still wouldn't pay more than $1 for a sports game