Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiger LCD Handhelds

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Resurrecting this again, that list I posted before isn't accurate anymore, switched out a few things, but not the Tiger games.

The reason for the revival is that I found and paid $5 for Tiger - Street Fighter II today. It works, cleaned up really nicely too. Problem is I can't seem to find instructions for it so far online and I can't figure out how to properly win a match in it. I won a round, at best, but that's it so far. It's weird, definitely can't play it like street fighter, more like move and strike kind of panels to it which is different.

Anyone here have it and know what to do as far as special attacks and if it blocks at all? I get that left kick is only during jumps, and there is a forward punch or kick in air and on ground too (using right kick.)

I still have yet to remember to find Mega Man 2 again, usually when I do it's up, and when I don't it's down which figures.
    Its been years since I've played this, but I think this might work - on the d pad press left, then right + attack. I believe this should unleash a special move for most/all characters. I believe that should do stuff like Ryu's Hadoken or Zangiefs dancing kicks attack. Not sure if there are more than one attack per character, I only remember each having one attack back in the day.

These days the only tiger handhelds I have are the Mega Man games. They aren't really that good (MM2 gives you limited ammo for your main weapon for some evil reason). I mainly just grabbed them for my Mega Man collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

MM2 is the one I still lack I had as a kid, and the pricing on it yo-yos horribly from good to laughable depending on the week/seasons? Everytime I don't look it's like $10-15, anytime I do some tool pays like $25-35 on it which is dumb. I do agree it was stupid to have limited ammo, especially with the standard pea shooter as it was a bad call. It was/is? a fun game though and I could finish it, never had the sequel.

Some Tiger games I find hold up well either copying an original (Afterburner, Karnov, and Ninja Gaiden are fairly faithful) or going on its own to do it still right in the spirit of things (like Castlevania II). I like to get them cheap as they're cheap ass minimal game quality but they make for stupid fun distractions.

I think that may by the way have been what I was doing on accident as I could get Ryu to sometimes use the fireball, couldn't figure out if it worked for Guile but he wasn't doing squat when I played so I have no idea if he does the flash kick or the sonic boom. If you take it at face value with SF2 it's awful compared, but as a stand alone dinky LCD game with limited panels it's not awful by any means, yet not fantastic. I've played worse, like the Sonic game is just reprehensibly rotten.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I put loads of time into the Sonic 2 handheld. I don't recall it being terrible, but that's nostalgia speaking!

I actually ended up with a couple of copies of the Mega Man handhelds over the years because of my Mega Man collection:

The carded games are actually open at the top. So I can keep them carded and play the games when I want. For some reason the Italian? editions of the games come in boxes as opposed to plastic cards. I prefer this, they are easier to store (and preserve the packaging). I've got a MM2 boxed Tiger handheld as well, but no picture of it for some reason...

I'd love to grab a few more handhelds one day. I've been slowly grabbing Game and Watch handhelds first, but I'd love to get more Tiger handhelds of classic retro games for the heck of it. Some of them are still strangely addictive even if the gameplay is rather simplistic these days.

*edit* Forgot about the first Teenage Mutant Hero (bah) Turtles LCD handheld. I adored that game, played it so much! The second one was good but not as memorable as the first one. Darn, now I need to track that down again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey nice I like that. That's the truth though they're overly simplistic but in that they're fun. They're just a step/half-step over what 95% of the Game & Watch games did as they tried to make them more than basic point racking stuff attempting to ape actual NES/Arcade games or going off the rails on some weird movie license. You want nuts? Look up what Sega/Tiger did as they converted 2 LCD pocket games into oddball beasts. The common one of the two is a full frontal cockpit with stickers, lights, sounds and a giant stick for Afterburner which I think would be cool to have, and then there was this partial red front of the ferrari from Outrun.

I have an out of date picture too from over a year ago for the LCDs I had at the time. I sold off Football for $5 fairly recently below, acquired Sub War before that shot but didn't include it as it wasn't in that find day. And I don't have a good picture of Street Fighter II but it's easy enough to find. The only issue with it is a teeny chip out of the left front corner/side of the OFF button. I don't buy these things without battery covers.

I'd just like to snap that Mega Man 2 up sooner or later as it was fun for what it was. I used to have a 1942 Acclaim handheld, it was fairly nice, but I'd rather replace it with afterburner though I'm not sure which version though that big one would be a pain in the ass to ship or find a spot for. I'd like to find Gauntlet as well as I remember liking it even if it is weird.

I did have that TMNT one (there are 3) and it wasn't bad, didn't grab me much. I do have 2 other Konami Handhelds though in that tall body LCD they did. I've got Gradius (which had a pulled wire I had to resolder on, and then I bought a very busted barely sealed clamshell Star Trek 25th Anniversary, so I removed the rotted plastic and kept the insert and that one is tricky but fun.

I posted what I had in the past and pasted it in here, but this is easier and accurate now: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/tabletop.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome stuff. I'm getting the urge to track down a few more now! I've googled the Afterburner and Outrun "cab" handhelds and those look pretty cool. Thankfully I don't have any space for those so I won't be tempted to try and purchase them! I'm going through a big Capcom collecting phase at the moment, I'm definitely interested in trying to track down a few more Capcom LCD handheld games. A quick search shows Strider also got a tiger handheld. I wonder what that plays like?

Also, here's an updated picture with my boxed Tiger LCD versions of both Mega Man 2 and 3:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks solid, that boxed up one is up on ebay now too as well from overseas.

I've heard about Strider and seen it, never got it. There's quite a few NES conversions and arcade of course.

Outside of Tiger though and in Japan there are other Mega Man (Rock Man) handheld LCD games that are a pain in the ass to find but if you can I heard they're decent for LCD games. I know it's not a lot to go on but I haven't seen or bothered to look for a picture of them in years.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Looks solid, that boxed up one is up on ebay now too as well from overseas.

I've heard about Strider and seen it, never got it. There's quite a few NES conversions and arcade of course.

Outside of Tiger though and in Japan there are other Mega Man (Rock Man) handheld LCD games that are a pain in the ass to find but if you can I heard they're decent for LCD games. I know it's not a lot to go on but I haven't seen or bothered to look for a picture of them in years.

I've managed to track down all the Rockman handhelds I'm aware of - there was a calculator/LCD game based on X2 that is kinda interesting, plus a virtual pet style LCD game based on X4. Plus some kind of weird LCD game/pocket organiser hybrid based on X3. I love all the weird stuff like this that came out of Japan for the series.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I have so much of this type stuff I still need to sort out,some on ebay-same user ID name as here..

Those lil fast food store LCD games I have a bunch of too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I saw a big bag of those fast food Sonic McD's 1" LCD screen games over the weekend for a dollar or two in a bag. I didn't think it was worth it. I have to keep an eye out for that mega man 2 a bit more proactively, same with also an older mattel electronics hockey I'd like to replace.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had several of those. Mega Man 2, X-men, and a few others I can't remember now. Also had the Konami TNMT one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Since you brought it up, it reminded me I should add the fact I am +1 Tiger and +1 Acclaim LCD games this weekend. I got the oddball Marble Madness with the 8 way rocker control circle pad thing on it which is pretty nice, and then 1943 from Acclaim which liked to make screwball versions of some NES games or licensed properties around 1990ish. 1943 is in a way kind of faithful to the arcade, but gets weird as added levels have water spouts and strafing runs on ships as part of the stage, not the boss itself. The other Marble Madness is weird, it is but isn't that game, it's equally as much the old wooden labyrinth game with the little metal ball in it where you navigate a maze to the hole in the end -- any walls or other obstacles are death.