Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiger LCD Handhelds

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    My mom used to buy these for me as we were too poor to have one of the "real" handheld game systems. They were never that great, but in your mind, you felt like you were kinda playing the real thing. I had a few of them, and one of the Mega Man ones was a dedicated Tiger LCD game which I had.
    I had a couple of these Tiger hand held games as well back in the early 90s. Decent way to pass the time on the cheap.

Are these the ones your talking about?

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Tiger_games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of surprised I never responded to this, but it has been hiding for awhile.

I had some of them as a kid. I remember owning Baseball, Castlevania II, Mega Man II, and I think I had Gauntlet. Beyond that we played them at the boys n girls club in a little group so I got to experience (if it wasn't mine) Gauntlet, but also Batman, Ninja Gaiden, Karnov, and I'm sure a few others I forget not looking up all them over at that handheld museum website listing.

Around a year ago I got struck with cheap luck. I ended up finding 4 of them, all with their original manuals for $1/ea on 3 and I was given a 4th free. I ended up getting Castlevania II, Karnov, Baseball, and Football(free one.) A couple years before I had also found a mega man 2 but the screen was almost out and it shorted, but also got a Ninja Gaiden off a friend which was cool.

I'd like to get back Mega Man II again, keep forgetting to spring on one when it is cheap. Sure they're not super accurate to the original content, but some have some fairly good playability (like Mega Man II does.) I also have this other super sound one(they only made like 2 with better audio before getting into talking units like street fighter 2 and metal gear.) That super sound one I think is the most fun of the lot, it's Sub Wars. You have your sub, it has some shielding for damage and if each piece of the sub is busted you sink. You can send out a ping but it allows them to see you too, or you spin about and try and find stuff blind on a spherical grid, and you can also commence repairs on those damages too. It's fun but hard, yet a fair challenge too not a cheap limited due to the LCD type annoyance.

While not Tiger I actually a couple days ago at the flea lucked into a radio shack/tandy classic that's a total game & watch knock off called Highway for a dollar. It's nice, avoid dogs logs and signs, pick up women, drop off at right road side signs, and screwy enough if you get three a slot machine pops up which I have no idea how it pays out as I never hit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Around a year ago I got struck with cheap luck. I ended up finding 4 of them, all with their original manuals for $1/ea on 3 and I was given a 4th free.
    Great find! I had Gauntlet as well. It was my favorite of all the Tiger handhelds with Mega Man a close second.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Yeah, the Mega Man 2 one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One of these days I think what I'll end up doing is just poke around ebay and find a lucky lot people ignored because they didn't want some game in it being all picky babies about it. I see them on occasion and the prices end up cheap as no one wants what they think is filler. Sure they're cheapo basic LCD games, but there's a challenge to them. They're the evolution of the Game & Watch from point racking to their back end (Mario, Zelda, Climber) style stuff into the Tiger. Tiger was really it because Gameboy put an end to people caring about stuff like that.

This is all my pre-Gameboy type handhelds and tabletops, excluding Highway as I forgot to add it.

Nintendo Game & Watch/Watches

- Ball (Club Nintendo - CIB)
    - Super Mario Bros.
    - Zelda
    - Zelda (Nelsonic LCD Wrist Watch Game)

Hand Held Games

- Attack From Mars Pinball (LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Baseball (w/Manual-LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Battleship Handheld Game (LCD-Milton Bradley)
    - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (w/Manual-LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Dungeons & Dragons (CIB-LCD-Mattel Electronics)
    - Frogger (Handheld Arcade-Excalibur Electronics)
    - Gradius (LCD-Konami)
    - Hangman (LCD-Milton Bradley)
    - Karnov (w/Manual-LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Mattel Electronics Baseball (LED-Mattel Electronics)
    - Pin*Bot Pinball (LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Pocket Simon (CIB-1980 Handheld)
    - Space Invaders (w/Manual-Handheld Arcade-Excalibur Electronics)
    - Spelling B in sleeve w/booklet (Educational Handheld-Texas Instruments)
    - Sub Wars (LCD-Tiger Electronics)
    - Wildfire Pinball (CIB-LED-Parker Bros)

Tabletop Games

- Frogger (CIB-Tabletop Arcade-Excalibur Electronics)
    - Donkey Kong w/Manual (Tabletop Arcade-Coleco)
    - Pac-Man w/Perma Power Pack (Tabletop Arcade-Coleco)
    - Q-Bert (Tabletop Arcade-Parker Bros.)

I've had other things but that's current. I don't use much of it very often at all but it's a nice escape to randomly throw some batteries into and I've got them in my desk for ease of use.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I only ever had two. Sonic 2 and Marble Madness, although I'm not sure if the Marble Madness one was by Tiger or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I only ever had two. Sonic 2 and Marble Madness, although I'm not sure if the Marble Madness one was by Tiger or not.
    Your right, Tiger did have a Marble Madness handheld game.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/MarbleMadness.htm
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 08-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are people on ebay charging an arm and a leg for some of these titles, I'm not sure if they actually get any bites, though. I saw a listing about a year ago where someone was asking well above $100 for Tiger's MC Hammer handheld.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Your right, Tiger did have a Marble Madness handheld game.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/MarbleMadness.htm
    Yep, that's the one I have. Things a beast to play, but still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    There are people on ebay charging an arm and a leg for some of these titles, I'm not sure if they actually get any bites, though. I saw a listing about a year ago where someone was asking well above $100 for Tiger's MC Hammer handheld.
    The problem isn't finding the handhelds, that's easy, even today. It's finding a working one or one that hasn't been warped by the flea market sun that's the issue driving up prices.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I currently own the Simon's Quest and Mega Man 3 tiger handhelds.
    A few years ago I was collecting these and I had like 30 of them. Ended up selling most of them. Some of them are really hard to find.

Simon's Quest Tiger handheld was the first video game anything that I ever owned. I used to play it on the schoolbus to and from school in the 1st or 2nd grade. I was able to beat the game occasionally, it all depends on how often the crystal shows up (if you whip the crystal you recover all your life).
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-03-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got a Marble Madness also. I've never played it, though. Actually, I have several Tiger handhelds and have never played a single one of them. I've picked a bunch up over the years, since I've moved into collecting old-school electronic handhelds, but since I know the games won't be very fun I just haven't bothered popping batteries into them and giving them a whirl.

I never had any of those Tiger games when they were on the market, since I was already a teenager when those hit and there were many other ways for me to play games. I don't go out of my way to collect them, I much prefer those handhelds from the late '70s and early '80s when I was a kid, but if I come across a baggie in a thrift store with some oddball portables and calculators in it for a few bucks, I'm at least happy I'm finding something there, since console games have all dried up in thrift stores lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Fun Factoid: In the MST3k episode 'Danger! Death Ray' TV's Frank is seen playing a Tiger Handheld in the beginning of the episode. Can't tell which game it is though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually a good few of those Tiger games are actually pretty fun if you keep them in the context of the format just like the earlier game & watch and radio shack knockoff LCD games. They're hardly what you'd call deep but they do work and present a challenge, a few are even close to being addictive like that Sub Wars game I brought up. I've avoided buying them on ebay up to this point as I'd rather bump into them at a flea market for a few bucks, but I'm not against it.

I actually did forget to mention I do have a cool sealed one that is the Star Wars Imperial Assault which is all in black and has an optional pop on Vader joystick that fit into a round notch on the d-pad. I had a loose one a couple years ago that's why I know it's good. It's a solid game where you fly rebel craft and pop off various ties and corvettes among other things and it is not a push over for challenge.

I also had this one that somehow got broken I hate I don't have now which was Virtua Cop. It folded out with a stand and had a little LED gun with it, and it had 4 LEDs around the screen and would detect hits in a crude way like the Wii works with its IR bar. It was sadly about 80% accurate due to lighting I think, but it worked pretty well and was one of the most fun of them since it's a light gun game so it's not much of a stretch away from the legit game like most were. The gun even had this cool little speaker in it and made gun sounds when you would fire it (and there were also a star wars, area 51, and I think a duke nukem version too.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odd choice of an 11-year-old thread to bump, but okay.

Anyway, Mega Man 2, Gauntlet, and Ninja Gaiden are all quite good. I've beaten the first two, but not Ninja Gaiden.

How is Karnov? Worth tracking down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post

Anyway, Mega Man 2, Gauntlet, and Ninja Gaiden are all quite good. I've beaten the first two, but not Ninja Gaiden.

I had Karnov back in the day. Its a good one. I wouldnt mind having it myself.
    My brother had Gauntlet and that ones good also. The invisible walls are annoying though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

You know what would be even better? An online website that shows pictures of the fronts of the units. The community could just steal good ebay auction pictures to put most of it together if necessary.

Sonic the Hedgehog

didn't seem to be on the lists above. Just 2 and 3 were listed. The first one had a Tiger adaptation as well.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post

For as good as an LCD can be to the original content Karnov is a damn good Tiger LCD game. They don't take my liberties with stuff getting creative so it tries to stick fairly well with the true games content which to me is a good thing. Yes you're limited on what can be displayed with monsters/bosses, but it plays well and isn't a snore. It's not like the excellent Castlevania II that plays almost nothing like the NES game while still being great or Gauntlet which is well different than its original arcade/console source material. I'm sure someone got bored and did a youtube video of it you can find on Karnov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Resurrecting this again, that list I posted before isn't accurate anymore, switched out a few things, but not the Tiger games.

The reason for the revival is that I found and paid $5 for Tiger - Street Fighter II today. It works, cleaned up really nicely too. Problem is I can't seem to find instructions for it so far online and I can't figure out how to properly win a match in it. I won a round, at best, but that's it so far. It's weird, definitely can't play it like street fighter, more like move and strike kind of panels to it which is different.

Anyone here have it and know what to do as far as special attacks and if it blocks at all? I get that left kick is only during jumps, and there is a forward punch or kick in air and on ground too (using right kick.)

I still have yet to remember to find Mega Man 2 again, usually when I do it's up, and when I don't it's down which figures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As far as listings of Tiger games goes, you can always depend on the Handheld Museum.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh I know that, I went there first to just find a picture of the LCD by itself with question marks (I could email him to clear up) and that it wasn't owned. I just was curious about the controls. I found one partial copy of the manual through an ebay auction which had the folded over paper flipped so I could read a few things but nothing of value other than blocking is in there and obviously that up and down are jump and crouch.