Thread: Manci Games Magazine - RIP

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote
    Hey Jayson,

Great effort!! It takes guts to take a chance like you did. However, I can't help but ask: Did you not do any research as far as a potential customer base before going through with this venture??
    We did do some very preliminary research that indicated about a 50 / 50 shot that it would work. We then utilized a marketing professional to do some research, but the costs involved were pretty steep. He understood our hesitation and actually helped us develop a plan wherein we could publish the magazine and do the research concurrently. The costs worked out about the same. The difference was that if it worked, no money would be wasted, and if it didn't work, we would be no worse off than if we had just done the research to begin with. The plus to that is that we still got to read 2 issues of Manci Games!

I'm just happy that we were able to do what we did. Anyone who has both issues 1 and 2 would probably agree that we set a pretty steep curve as to how much each issue would improve over the last. And while there will not be any future issues, we hope that gamers will be able to use them as a reference for years to come. We packed a lot of exclusive and little known info into those 88 pages!

By the way, single copy sales WILL be available within the next week or so. Keep your eye on the website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    Unfortunately I got burned with this one, as I sent a copy of Sky Jaguar for review a couple of months ago and now we will never see that review published and chances are I will never get my review copy back either. Worst, I was promised a small advertisement space which obviously will never happen. The strangest thing here is the mag got canned after just two issues. Sounds like someone tried a blind shot.
    Well, that's the second time I got burned by a magazine (the first one being with Video Game Corner) so I think I have learned my lesson and will stay away from this kind of publication in the future...
    Opcode, I would highly encourage you to participate with any future mags, if asked. Everyone in the area of classic games are good people.

I wish you would have emailed me first, instead of posting this to a public forum. Issue 3 is done (with a Sky Jaguar review included), but as you said, will not be published. I was planning on emailing you over the weekend as the dust settled from the announcement to either purchase the game from you or return it to you. I'd be happy to keep it and pay. It's a great game!

Just email me at my regular address to let me know which you prefer.

Thanks again,
    Jaysen

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames
    I wish you would have emailed me first, instead of posting this to a public forum.
    In fact I emailed, on May 28th and have been waiting a reply since... But that's past now. I will contact you shortly about SJ...

Eduardo
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now I have to feel...if I had gone and subscribed like I said I would...would things have gone differently?

Well, I'll set some money aside to pick up the issues that are released. I guess it won't be feasible to produce Issue 3 if one doesn't want to spend the money printing it, but would it be possible to host that issue in PDF form on the Digital Press website?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Now I have to feel...if I had gone and subscribed like I said I would...would things have gone differently?
    Not unless there was about another 3,000 people just like you.

Well, I'll set some money aside to pick up the issues that are released. I guess it won't be feasible to produce Issue 3 if one doesn't want to spend the money printing it, but would it be possible to host that issue in PDF form on the Digital Press website?
    Honestly, I think there are already enough great online PDF mags out there (Cav's included). There really doesn't need to be another one mucking it up. Also, I want the writers to contribute their Issue 3 stories to other mags, and I don't think having them previously printed online will do them any good in that respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    never got a chance to see the magazine but it seems to me that game collectors are a very computer oriented bunch who would rather get the info online for free than pay for a magazine.

just an observation.
    i would think a "collector" would want the ORGINAL magazine not just read whats on the net. are you sure you are not talking about "game players"

@Jaysen, sorry to see your magazine end! i thought it was a great mag!
    also thanks for sending us many 1st issues for our NWCGE meet! and as i told you in my e-mail to you, no need in sending me a subscription refund!!!

Take care,

Rick

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I think there are already enough great online PDF mags out there (Cav's included). There really doesn't need to be another one mucking it up. Also, I want the writers to contribute their Issue 3 stories to other mags, and I don't think having them previously printed online will do them any good in that respect.
    Some of us have absolutely no problem giving a bit of work away for free.

I'll have new articles in Video Game Collector, but the import stuff will formatted in a new way that doesn't lend itself to my full-length 800+ word reviews. So I've put up one of my unpublished reviews up online for everyone to read:

http://www.shadatannis.com/other/pulseman.html

I hope to see y'all again in the pages of Video Game Collector, and hopefully elsewhere too.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Will the free issue #2's still go out by chance?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like a paper magazine (something I can keep) and I am a collector. Sounds like they gave it up right after the first issue if it was a month ago. Too bad. One day someone will do this and it will work.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte
    So what does MANCI stand for?
    I've been wondering the same thing since before the first issue... now that it's all wrapped up, when the hell DID it mean? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm glad to hear that us subsribers will actually get a refund... That certainly would have sucked if he had just buggered off with our money. Oh well, it was worth a try.

--Zero

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now that all is said and done, can you divulge your readership numbers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also, I want the writers to contribute their Issue 3 stories to other mags, and I don't think having them previously printed online will do them any good in that respect.
    Alright, alright :P

I second TheRedEye's motion, by the way.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Joe, I think it's time to pull this from the front page:

Are You a Classic Gaming Fan? If so, then surely you've subscribed to Manci Games! If not, you'd best rectify that situation HERE.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is really unfortunate news. Even though so much content and information is online, I found it to be worthwile and I really enjoyed the reading it--especially the article on 8-bit baseball.

I received the complimentary issue and was about to subscribe. I would like to send a few dollars to Mancigames for that issue since I can no longer subscribe, and I think it was well worth it. I can not find your paypal addy on the site. Could I trouble you to post it here or PM it to me?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is really unfortunate news. Even though so much content and information is online, I found it to be worthwile and I really enjoyed the reading it--especially the article on 8-bit baseball.

edit-Found your email

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit-Found your email

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by K3V
    Hey Joe, I think it's time to pull this from the front page:

Are You a Classic Gaming Fan? If so, then surely you've subscribed to Manci Games! If not, you'd best rectify that situation HERE.
    NOBODY touches the Sockbaby!

Well, alright, I guess you've got a point there.

I'm [still] Batman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn,that sucks!! i really enjoyed that magazine.i never got an email or anything yet,i just found out when i read this forum.i paid with paypal,and when i get my paypal refund,i will spend that money on some retro games,out of respect for manci games.i think a retro video game magazine is an awesome idea,its just to bad it failed.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MANCI #1 & #2 for $9.99 shipped

Hello,

My store carries Manci and if anyone is interested in obtaining issues #1 and #2, we are selling them for $9.99 including postage. I also personally wrote the 'Just 4 Qix' arcade coin-op column, and will gladly autograph them for free upon request. Note that my autograph may make the magazine absolutely worthess ;-)

If interested, visit www.GoodDealGames.com or simply send us an e-mailthat your interested and we'll send you payment instructions, et cetera.

I will definately miss Manci (sniffle)

Sincerely,
    Michael of GDG
    www.GoodDealGames.com
    http://www.GoodDealGames.com
    Classic Gaming Interviews, Articles, News, Puzzles, Humor, Online Arcade, Game Publishing, Sales, WGDG Game Radio, Collectors List, Links, Chat, Release Lists, Fan Fiction, Token Museum & more... much more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: MANCI #1 & #2 for $9.99 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomasson
    Note that my autograph may make the magazine absolutely worthess ;-)
    Heh, what's the deal with that? Sounds like what Zach Meston said a while back about a copy of a strat guide he wrote. Heheh.

I'll check that out, and you bet if I buy one I'll ask for a signature!