Thread: I finally remembered to pass this on

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I finally remembered to pass this on

Every once in awhile, I remember this info, and resolve to post it (figuring it might do someone some good).

Seeing that Genesis 1/2/3 thread reminded me again:

Fairly obscure fact: Majesco produced model 2 Genesis consoles for a period of time. Yes, I am referring to the medium sized console. They will not run 32X or Sega CD. In fact, the edge connector to the pcb for the Sega CD to attach to is covered by a layer of hard, translucent gray (epoxy?) material. In other words, the contacts are still physically there, but they look like the world's dirtiest contacts, and there is nothing practical you can do about it.

Anyway, these machines were sold by Wal Mart (at least) around the same time you started seeing Frogger and the Majesco rereleases in stores. I don't remember the year, but I do remember all of this happening. I bought a Genesis 2 at a garage sale for $5, but it had blinky controller connections. Trying to avoid the hassle of resoldering a bunch of pins to the board, I decided to buy a Genesis 2 at Wal Mart, switch the pcb, and return it as defective. Yeah, I know. What a prick, right? Who cares.

Anyway, I bought a Genesis 2 at Wal Mart for $20 (I believe), started hooking it up to the 32X, Sega CD, etc., and found out that they didn't work. I spent some time troubleshooting, and finally noticed that on the BACK of the Genesis box, a small glob of text said something about manufactured for/by/under Majesco Sales, inc. I thought that was strange, and it spurred me to look at the manual! The manual actually confirmed it! It said that it was not compatible with the Sega CD or 32X.

The moral of the story is this: If you have a Genesis 2 that doesn't seem to recognize 32X or Sega CD, you might have a Majesco unit. If you want to know for sure, look at the Sega CD edge connector slot. If the pins (and board) look dull and grayish, then you probably have the Majesco "limited capability" version.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

O.O dude thanks for the info some guy came into my work about a week ago said he picked up a genny from the flea that was broke because his cd and 32x wouldnt fit so he gave it to me, and i thought the pins looked funny, now i know why and your right on the back where usually it has a sega brand it says liscenced under Majesco sales inc. I wan wondering myself what was up
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh, That's interesting...but what's the point of not making it CD/32X compatible? If they didn't remove the connections, they didn't save any money. That's pointless....
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That explains that. A while back I bought a genny and sega cd model 2 (both) from toys R us and the Sega Cd didnt work and the genesis did. Before I went to return the Sega CD we tested it on my brothers Genny and it worked perfectly, better than my borthers model one even. Upon inspection, the connector for the Sega CD was pure black and waxy feeling. We took it back for another one and it was just the same. After not buying that one, we walked over to sears and bout a much older one, and the connectors were beautiful and everything was fine. we didnt notice or even look for the Majesco name. Mystery solved.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"...but what's the point of not making it CD/32X compatible?"

<speculation mode>

My only guess it that Majesco negotiated with Sega to manufacture a cheap, stripped down Genesis unit. Likely somewhere in the contract it mentioned exclusions from the Sega CD and 32X libraries.

In the mean time, while the new ("3") console was being designed and manufactured, Majesco went ahead and sold model 2 units (old stock from Sega?) under their name, but they had to be disabled to fulfill contractual obligations.

<speculation mode: off>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's how I would think. Contract. I would say the dumbed down Model 2 came right before the Model 3. Sort of a bridge and a signaling of the end of the line.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

No contract, just cheaper to manufacture single ICs with several functions within them. For example, the oft-spoken myth is that the z80 was removed from the Genny 3, when it was simply integrated into the hardware differently. As a result games or devices that might expect those functions a certain way would get confused and not work.

Never knew that Majesco released a Genny 2 though, I wonder if the plastic shell was any different in quality / texture than the Sega release. I speculate that it was a case of Sega having a glut of Genny 2 shells left over, Majesco using them up and then releasing the MK3.