Since all is fair in love and the 16-bit system wars, I thought there should be a list of worst Genesis games to go along with the worst Super NES games list someone started earlier. So, what Genesis games do you feel aren't welcome at the first level, let alone the next one?

My choice has to be Dark Castle by Electronic Arts. I was actually looking forward to playing this, as Mac owners had nothing but good things to say about their version of the game, and from the box it looked like an appealing blend of old and new ideas. Unfortunately, the game wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as I thought it would be... in fact, it turned out to be one of the worst Genesis games ever released, no small feat when you consider unlicensed bombs like Far Sight Technologies' Action 52.

Dark Castle is like what would happen if you dipped Prince of Persia in toxic waste. It's got weak graphics, tiny characters, and gameplay that's alternately frustrating and idiotic. In one stage, you're surrounded by a swarm of bats flying overhead, and you're supposed to dispatch them all with rocks to proceed. Unfortunately for you (and luckily for them), aiming and throwing the stones is so bloody hard that you might as well roll up your sleeve and let the bats feast on your arm... it would be less painful. Other stages involve similarly frustrating challenges, and remind you of why Electronic Arts has all but abandoned action games to make endless sequels to John Madden Football.

JR