Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Doesn't

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Izzy's Quest For The Olympic Rings...

...maybe this is why I got an entire case for 5.00.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    IMO, the SNES has aged MUCH better than the Genesis.
    I think both systems have aged about the same.

I will agree that the graphics are better but i cannot consider the SNES to be anywhere near the "Ultimate" for the simple fact that it chugs when too many sprites are on the screen.

but maybe its just the games i like to play on it.

Back to topic:

Any game that had Bart in it.

Simpsons games are bad on any system back then though.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to throw a game in here simply due to the stupidest trick of all time pulled on us by the programmers

X-MEN - the original one. When they make you RESET THE SYSTEM after you beat Mojo. Lamest thing ever. I wouldn't have ever figured that out if I hadn't thrown my controller at the system after getting to that point three times and not figuring out what to do. Got a bulls-eye on the reset button and finally got to finish the game.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    I also hate Blaster Master 2 for being a terrible sequel to a great game.
    Blaster Master 2? I actually like that game, not exactly the best sequel, but at least it was good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape
    T2 is passable only because without it theres even less menacer games to play....
    T2: The Arcade Game was a passable lightgun shooter. The game I'm talking about is a side-scroller developed by BITS Studios (Developer of such classics like Last Action Hero, Space Footall and Dream T.V. :P) and published by Flying Edge. Pure unadulterated garbage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    well whatever....everybody knows that "Genesis does what Nintendon't"
    Well if you consider not even being in the console market a good thing. You can't ever run my video game company.

(I am not bashing sega, I love the sega next to nintendo, it's just I am telling like it is in the name of nintendo.)

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

One big fact: Genesis (or Mega Drive) came out first and, thus, was prone to be surpassed by the next competitor. Yes, the SNES does do music and sound a lot better, and can display many more colors.

However...I would argue that the Genesis has the more lasting legacy, since many of today's modern gaming trends (save for the RPG boom, which was rightfully created by Nintendo) were either largely begun on or inspired by the Genesis hardware base and its peripherals. Thus, I'd call it the leader of the 16-bit era.

(Oh, here's a disclaimer! I know the TurboGrafx/PC-Engine people will say they did it first - and that's technically true, but how many of your friends owned a TG back in the day? I can't think of more than one or two even now. Marketing, you know?)

Oh - and the first Bubsy wasn't all that bad a game...

Hard Drivin' (which was only moderately fun in the arcades anyway) was an absolute pain in the ass on Genesis. ("No, I'm turning - turning LEFT - TURN LEFT, YOU BASTARD! STOP!!! ARRRGGGH...")

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures also sucked. Quite a bit, as I recall. Point-and-click never works well with a D-pad, and especially not in a game with so much on the screen that's waiting to kill you.

I've got another topic that I've been meaning to post for some time along these lines... It's coming up!
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the mind set that SNES is a lot better than the Genesis than you really haven't dove into the genny library, genny has superior versions of Scooby doo (<-- You all need to play this game for Genesis) and Beavis and butthead to name a few:

anyhow, some shady games:

Deadly Moves (all I can say is, Damn, worst fighter ever)

Air Diver (Who actually plays these old terrible flight sims anyways?)

Most of the really bad ones have been mentioned.. I second sword of Sodan, that game is just unbearable

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    well whatever....everybody knows that "Genesis does what Nintendon't"
    Well if you consider not even being in the console market a good thing. You can't ever run my video game company.
    Wheres the love? (and yes i did read the disclaimer) :P

Heres another one: Spiderman vs X-men. First time i played it i couldnt believe acclaim was stupid enough to put it on Mega Drive

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To give you a clue as to how much of a slope-headed ape I am, I have to tell you - I liked Air Diver, back in the day. Played it for hours. As one of the first games for the system, my buddies were also impressed with the graphics, despite the cockpit taking 3/4 of the screen.

My lameness aside, I think that we can all agree on this stinker:

Budokan.

Not only was this the most piss-poor fighter I've ever had the misfortune of playing... Most Sega Genesis systems wouldn't even play the game (because of the lockout chip)!

In fact, I think that this whole compatibility issue bears mention -

Budokan, Ishido, Zany Golf --- DIE. DIE. DIE.

Lockout chips --- DIE. DIE. DIE.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got Budokan to work on a Model 2 Genesis system.

Plug it into a Game Genie and dont put any codes in.

Fired right up.

It wasnt worth getting to work but then again i only got it to test this "lock out " function people talk about.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genesis doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    It's interesting that Dark Castle showed up; I recently read a glowing review of a color update for the Macintosh. It's...well...I remember playing a game that seemed to be a 2D sidescroller in black and white on a school Mac; had you trying to dodge swinging blades and such. A forumer mentioned the possibility this was Dark Castle; now I'm quite certain this wasn't Dark Castle at all since the character was actually a large size - I remember him as being somewhat lanky and actually tall, probably nearing twice the height of the PoPersia kid and the same width (in pixels). The game also - as I recall - was as graphic as the grayscale would allow.
    I think I was the one who suggested the game you were looking for was Dark Castle.

Could it perhaps be Creepy Castle instead? There were, I think, a few games in the Dark Castle series, but if the main character was much larger then it's probably something else. If it's not Creepy Castle, are there any other details you can give to narrow it down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    (Oh, here's a disclaimer! I know the TurboGrafx/PC-Engine people will say they did it first - and that's technically true, but how many of your friends owned a TG back in the day? I can't think of more than one or two even now. Marketing, you know?)
    What most people don't realize is that the TurboGrafx 16 is not a true 16 bit system. It actually has two 8 bit processors.

As for the worst of the Genny...

Shaq-Fu
    Gain Ground (Renovation is my favorite label on the Genny, but this game is ssssslow!)
    Ex-Mutants
    Death Duel
    Double Dragon V

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good call on Ex-Mutants. I could never understand why there were so many of those second rate comic book characters on the Genesis. That system was home to such forgettable characters as Chakan: The Forever Man and Dinosaurs For Hire as well.

While I'm here, I might as well add GameTek's Gadget Twins to the growing list of Genesis turkeys. Judging from the box, you'd think it would be a cute, Fantasy Zone-inspired shooter, but in actuality, it's the world's first shooter where you can't actually SHOOT enemies. Instead, you're given a bunch of worthless close-range weapons that leave you extremely vulnerable... and frustrated... and angry... and violent. Then you rip the cartridge out of your Genesis and smash it to bits, putting the game out of its (and YOUR) misery.

Seriously, who in their right minds would make a shooter where you can't shoot? It'd be like making a puzzle game where you never get the same colored piece twice.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toughman Contest (piece of crap Punch-out Wannabe)
    Technocop
    Ex Mutants
    The Punisher (I know some people will disagree with me on this one. It was a great arcade game, but the genesis one was such a wattered down port I it was nearly unplayable.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Gain Ground was a good game once you realized it's a strategy game, not a shooter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    While I'm here, I might as well add GameTek's Gadget Twins to the growing list of Genesis turkeys. Judging from the box, you'd think it would be a cute, Fantasy Zone-inspired shooter, but in actuality, it's the world's first shooter where you can't actually SHOOT enemies. Instead, you're given a bunch of worthless close-range weapons that leave you extremely vulnerable... and frustrated... and angry... and violent. Then you rip the cartridge out of your Genesis and smash it to bits, putting the game out of its (and YOUR) misery.

Seriously, who in their right minds would make a shooter where you can't shoot? It'd be like making a puzzle game where you never get the same colored piece twice.

JR
    Speaking of bad shooters, add Subterranea to the list. I found that game extremely difficult, especially with the control setup. If I recall, you basically had to hold one button down to thrust and the directional pad to steer your ship to keep it from falling/crashing, while at the same time use another fire button to shoot enemies. If I am using the control pad to steer away from cavern walls etc, how the hell am I suppose to aim at the enemy chasing me down and firing at me!!! Argh!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am i the only person who loved pit fighter for genesis? I think its the best conversion of the arcade game, and i enjoyed it thoroughly.....it even got almost all Red-happy-faces on gamepro....I LIKE that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

I haven't dug in deep in Genesis cause I was more of a SNES fan. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Sega or anything. But to say it was the leading 16 bit console?

Anyways, back to topic...

I didn't like Mortal Kombat on Genesis. Is it me or have they shrunk the characters?

Others games I didn't like:
    Rock N' Roll Racing (Genesis Version)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Genesis Version)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I will second the Beavis and Butthead comment, B&B for the Genesis was more of an adventure, find-the-items game, while the SNES version if I recall correctly was side scrolling monatony.