Thanked in
    0 Posts

Action 52

p.s. BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe multiple people listed The Ooze. I like that game, although the difficulty does get insane in later levels.

The worst Genesis game I have much memories of playing is Fantasia. It was one of my first Genesis games and remains one of the worst I've played. Ridiculously bad controls, sound, and level design.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcade Classics
    Fantasia
    Race Drivin'

Arcade Classics is messed up in hilariously bad ways. The games are based on the 2600 Missile Command and 7800 Centipede, rather than the arcade. This actually wouldn't be too bad (especially for 7800 Centipede, which rocks), but they aren't even good ports. Both games are choppy and have frame rate issues. Terrible.

I'm surprised Chiki Chiki Boys was mentioned. The arcade one is better and the lack of 2 player is disappointing, but it's still a pretty good port.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 07-27-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pro quarterback
    xperts

the worst games to come out of the entire 16 bit era by far

one of the industry's greatest, most puzzling mystery's has to be how in the hell did these 2 games get greenlit for production/release

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Having played under 100 games on the system, most of them the "classics", I can only name a few bad games on the Genesis.

-Cybercop
    -the first Hardball game (hitting is way too hard but the sequels were a little easier)
    -NFL 95 (very weak compared to the other Sega football games and they even cut things that appeared in earlier versions)
    NFL 95 is much more fun and enjoyable than any of the sports talk football games/NFL 94, a big step up as far as gameplay with 95, they finally fixed the busted passing system, collision detection, and a few other crippling flaws that hindered the otherwise impressive prequel games.

the interface menu's and music in the game are all very high quality compared to any other sports game on the system, the game has that trademark sega 90's attitude with the awesome opening "sega" screen intro's and player trash talking, shouting phrases such as "take that punk!" or "I own you!" little things like that give the game a lot of charm.

NFL '95 was the first genesis football game with roster managent(trades, free agency) and it worked very well, the games overall presentation was pretty impressive and far ahead of madden 95.

I really like the first Joe Montana football, and '95's sequels (NFL Primetime/NFL 98) which improve everything across the table.

The game may play a little on the slow side but it is much better than the sportstalk turds(especially the terrible Joe Montana II:sports talk football), and very far from being one of the worst games on the console as there are about 20 to 25 other football games alone that fall way short of this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The worst Genesis I've played so far:
    Arcade Classics
    Quarterback Club (like Madden without rosters or good graphics)
    RBI '94
    Death Duel (opponents get a "safe zone" off to the side where you can't shoot them)
    Tecmo Super Bowl (NES version has much better gameplay and rosters)
    Gain Ground (mixture of strategy/shooter features boring characters dodging mass of arrows)
    Earnest Evans
    Jordan vs. Bird (haven't played but couldn't be much better than NES version)
    Outrun 2019
    Risk
    Pele 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

To the person who said Chiki Chiki Boys on the Genesis, can't agree. It's colorful for a Genesis title, all secrets seem to be in place from the arcade, graphics are top notch, control also seems to be fine. I'd hardly call it a bad game, it felt as good as the Strider port on the Genesis, and a tad better than the Ghouls N Ghosts Genesis port.

Of course all 3 of these were reprogrammed by Sega themselves and not Capcom.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    ...which is why I always pass up the 6 or 8 Genesis consoles at every thrift I go to...if it was so much better than the SNES, why does no one want them anymore, as opposed to NES (which I see at thrifts but are always priced twice as high as Genny's) or SNES, which I hardly ever see in the wild? IMO, the SNES has aged MUCH better than the Genesis.
    This is a old post I know, but I have to second that...Genesis was a good system with some definate classics [Sonic] but its true that it hasnt aged as gracefully as the SNES has.

Imo alot of it has to do with how the SNES had a large stock of quality "niche" genres back then like RPGs, which are still some of the best Japanese Rpgs made [FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mario rpg etc...Tons of classics that have aged well].

Add in the arcade ports like MK2 which were excellent for the time, and Donkey Kong Country which still looks good and its no surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peonpiate View Post
    This is a old post I know, but I have to second that...Genesis was a good system with some definate classics [Sonic] but its true that it hasnt aged as gracefully as the SNES has.
    IMO it has a lot to do with how people cling to schoolyard sentimentality.
    hence why a thread about crappy Genesis games is framed with a headline title like "Genesis Doesn't"

Insert Coin (Level 0) IKilledLassic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zeds_deadbaby

Imo alot of it has to do with how the SNES had a large stock of quality "niche" genres back then like RPGs, which are still some of the best Japanese Rpgs made [FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mario rpg etc...Tons of classics that have aged well].

Add in the arcade ports like MK2 which were excellent for the time, and Donkey Kong Country which still looks good and its no surprise.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    IMO it has a lot to do with how people cling to schoolyard sentimentality.
    Couldn't agree more.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm... yes it Does!

[regarding the original post]

Insert Coin (Level 0) saintlouieb's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it wrong that the whole time I was reading this thread I had the tune from the Genesis Does commercial?

Genesis Does!
    You can't do this on Nintendo!
    Genesis Does!
    You can't do this on Nintendo!
    Genesis!
    Genesis!
    GENSIS!
    [announcer] With 16 bit graphics and stereo sound, Genesis does what (8-bit) Nintendon't! So quick, buy one before Nintendo releases their nextgen system!

Yeah I can tell you one thing Genesis does that SNES never had a prayer at matching. Advertising! Sega had the BEST commercials ever! Of course they kind of had to since SNES was the technologically superior system, but still. Nintendon't, blast processing, the Sega Scream, that ultra hip Sega CD black dude, the overly sexual 32X ads, Sega ruled TV and magazines.

But anyway, back to the thread, my vote for worst game has to be Marsupilami. Marsupa-whati I hear you ask? You might remember the cartoon from the mid-90's about this over hyper yellow monkey thing with an extra long tail. Well they made a game out of it clearly aimed at kids with its cartoonish characters and graphics but way too hard for the age group who actually watches the cartoon itself.

"When choosing between two evils, I like to pick the one I've never tried before." -Mae West

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst games on the Genesis:

All the Madden and generic NFL games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zetastrike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my mind the Genesis has aged better than the SNES, but that's because of my personal game preferences. I like action, arcade, platformer, shmups, racing, etc and the genesis really caters to that. The SNES is best remembered for its RPGs. That is a genre that I just can't identify with and do not like. For the most part, the Genesis was much better at delivering the fast action that the games I like require. SNES games are too slowdown-ridden and I really don't like its soundchip. For everyone, it just comes down to their own preferences. And the Genesis does have a lot of good RPGs. The problem is they aren't as endlessly hyped as the SNES ones, so no one notices them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never understood how some people could complain that the Genesis has a glut of shooters but no RPGs, when in truth it has almost the same number of both. It doesn't have as many RPGs as the SNES (mostly because it didn't have a dedicated company cranking them out almost exclusively), but it does have a fairly sizable library with lots of great games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Beyond Oasis, Light Crusader, Starflight, Ys III, Shadowrun, Pirates! Gold, etc. The Genesis has all kinds of quality RPG titles if you take the time to look. Ditto for Sega CD.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Beyond Oasis, Light Crusader, Starflight, Ys III, Shadowrun, Pirates! Gold, etc. The Genesis has all kinds of quality RPG titles if you take the time to look. Ditto for Sega CD.
    Sega CD has legendary RPGs: Lunars 1 and 2, Snatcher, Popful Mail, Vay, Dark Wizard, Shining Force CD. You really can't say that the Genesis has a lack of RPGs, there many not be as many as the SNES, but there's a good amount.

Worst Genesis games? Hands-down X-Perts. Utter Garbage of a game, terrible gameplay, shoddy graphics, and nonexistent sound. Not playable at all.

Someone mentioned Marsupilami as well, I have to agree. I can't get past the first level, way too complex for a platformer based off of a cartoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that Genesis fans who stretch way to far in their definition of RPG, just to pad Genesis lists give the biggest impression that the system has "zero" RPGs.

From the last 3 posts, here are games listed as RPGs that clearly aren't-

Snatcher
    Popful Mail
    Dark Wizard
    Shining Force CD
    Shining Force
    Beyond Oasis
    Light Crusader
    Starflight
    Ys III
    Shadowrun
    Pirates! Gold

Here are all the games mentioned that actually are-

Phantasy Star (let's count that as 4 games)
    Lunars (2)

When most people talk about 16-bit RPGs, especially when it involves the SNES, they mean Japanese console RPGs. It's nice for RPG fans who enjoy other questing/character building/adventure style games, when there are a number of alternatives.

But Mario games are as much RPGs as some of the games that get put out there as RPGs for Genesis.

there many not be as many as the SNES, but there's a good amount.
    This is still true though, so there's no need to count every game under the sun as "RPGs".

I never understood how some people could complain that the Genesis has a glut of shooters but no RPGs, when in truth it has almost the same number of both.
    The number of games for Genesis/Sega-CD that most people consider shooters, is closer to the number of RPGs and almost-RPGs for SNES or PCE. If the definition for shooter were stretched as far as RPG often is in Genesis circles, then not only would games like Contra and Vectorman count as shooters, but even games like Herzog Zwei, Lethal Enforcers and Snatcher. In which case the shooters would outnumber RPGs all the more.

But a handful of quality RPGs is worth more than an infinite number of boring or bad ones and the Genesis/Sega-CD more than has this covered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I think that Genesis fans who stretch way to far in their definition of RPG, just to pad Genesis lists give the biggest impression that the system has "zero" RPGs.

From the last 3 posts, here are games listed as RPGs that clearly aren't-

Snatcher
    Popful Mail
    Dark Wizard
    Shining Force CD
    Shining Force
    Beyond Oasis
    Light Crusader
    Starflight
    Ys III
    Shadowrun
    Pirates! Gold

Here are all the games mentioned that actually are-

Phantasy Star (let's count that as 4 games)
    Lunars (2)
    "Clearly"? Obviously it's not that clear if many of us listed have listed said games as RPGs. While I agree that Snatcher is far from an RPG, I wildly disagree with the other games. RPGs are a loosely defined genre and thus more games are able to fit under the banner. Snatcher aside, all games listed are RPGs whether you like it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    "Clearly"? Obviously it's not that clear if many of us listed have listed said games as RPGs. While I agree that Snatcher is far from an RPG, I wildly disagree with the other games. RPGs are a loosely defined genre and thus more games are able to fit under the banner. Snatcher aside, all games listed are RPGs whether you like it or not.
    So Zelda is an RPG series?

Like I said, even if you count anything remotely related as an RPG, people don't like the SNES as an RPG platform for Feda, Popful Mail, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Sim City, Super Mario World and Populous so much as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, etc.

This list stretches it a bit, but even then it pegs the SNES/SFC as having around 70 RPGs-

http://forums.gamewinners.com/forums...d.php?t=282986

Melf was correct stating that the Genesis has as many RPGs as Shooters, if you're going to include so many random genres as RPG. But by that same rationale, the Genesis has as many RPGs as SNES. So Genesis fans should no longer say that the system has "enough RPGs, just not as many as SNES".

I love RPGs and pretty much anything "questy", but the way that some people are stretching the definition of RPG, it's ignoring it as a sub-genre of something much larger like "Adventure" or I guess something even broader if war sims and other various sims and sidescroller/platformers are included. But the closest and best description I can think of would be "Non-Sports-Games".

All these games may appeal to RPG fans, but that doesn't mean that they should all ditch their various genres and just fall under the banner of "RPG". Or if the term "RPG" is to be sacrificed to cover so many other genres, then a new term needs to replace it for games like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Tengai Makyou, etc.

I'd pitch the Genesis/Sega-CD library as having plenty 'for fans of RPGs to enjoy' than what equates to 'as many as, or more RPGs than SNES'.