Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony, take this network adaptor & shove it up your..@#$!

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony, take this network adaptor & shove it up your..@#$!

I figured, since I have yet another opened Network Adaptor (thanks to the asshats at EB Games), I'd give the newly opened one (grrrr.....) a shot.

I called SCEA's tech support hotline again, had them walk me through the setup process again, and again, they wanted the model number of my PS2.

I pawed through the manual and saw that table which contained the list of serial numbers which correspond to a PS2 NOT being compatible with the NA.

The strange part? My PS2's serial # matched NONE of the numbers (or anything in between).

This time around, the operator told me that they're interested in taking the PS2 back from me and even providing the shipping costs BOTH WAYS so I don't have to pay anything out of my pocket.

Here's the kicker though:

They'd send me a factory refurbished PS2 which will work with the adaptor.

WTF? At that point, I got pissed and stated my displeasure to the operator.

Think about it; I have to send in my pristine PS2 (where the only problem it has is that doesn't work with the NA) in order to receive a FACTORY REFURBISHED one?

FUCK THAT SHIT!!!

So in order for me to play Syphon Filter: TOS online, I'm forced to send in my old workhorse PS2, wait about 2 weeks and then receive somebody elses garbage? Sure, the replacement would have been re-worked, re-chipped and re-furbished but still, SOMEONE USED TO OWN IT BEFORE and it's probably considered a formerly defective return from a store like EB Games!!!

When I bought my PS2, it was NEW IN BOX! Why the hell should I have to exchange it for (out of all things) a USED one???

Sony's logic just escapes me. Again, they're reinforcing the whole "It's our falt but we'll have the consumers pay for it" situation.

The plot thickens....

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's jsut REALLY not right. And....what happened at Wal-mart?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, and this whole time I thought Sony was making quality products with great customer support. And what's this about them making different versions of playstations? Are there more than two? x_x

I think your best bet would be to go out and buy another brand new ps2...i mean...everybody else has.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listen man, I understand you're unhappy but didn't you realize that a refurb was what they were offering all along?

Also, I believe many refurbs are nothing more than PS2 returns in stores and there may have been nothing wrong with the product in the first place.

If I were you I'd just chill out and have them send me the refurbished unit. After all, it's got to be more mechanically sound than your very used 2 year old model.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Yeah dude if you get a refurb from Sony, it will look brand new. They arent going to send you some janky-ass PS2 with oreo crumbs in it and shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I don't think it's too much to ask for a *new* PS2 when sending in a faulty one... I'm with you GunPanther.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SONY refurbs are as quality a unit as a new one. And they don't have compatibility issues with 'anything', as it's always corrected.

I'd take a new SONY refurb over a 2 year old working one any day.

And I can fix PS2's myself. That's my 0.02 cents. It's too bad they are making you jump through hoops, but at least they are willing to cover all costs.

That's far more service than the tens of thousands of DRE PS2's that end up in landfills get.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As much as I dislike Sony, I have to back them up on this one. What's the big deal getting a refurb? Yes you bought it new. Cool. Great. But now it too is used. Why should they give you a BRAND NEW system when you had yours for two years? How is that fair to Sony (and don't give me the "well, Sony is a big company" schpeel)? Besides, a PS2 warranty is only 90 days and there hasn't been a recall so by Sony even paying the tab for you to send in your two year old PS2 is pretty gracious. They could have said "no" and would have told you that there was a disclaimer (no matter how big or small-it was on there) and that there was a plethora of information available in magazines, on the web or with a simple phone call. As illogical as that may sound (and I agree-built for a PS2 should work on any PS2) they covered their ass with the disclaimer.

You've got three obvious choices. One is to send your unit in, free of charge, and get a fully functioning (including the network adapter) probably fully warrantied refurb PS2. Unless you modded your PS2 or painted it a different color it will look, act, probably smell just like your old one. But it will work and it will probably be cleaner on the inside than the one you sent in. And you will be able to play Syphon Filter or whatever game you like for PS2.

The second is to not send it in and just not go online. The game has a solo mode. Dem's da breaks when a company tries to streamline its technology to be able to maintain or even lower prices or to make hardware more stable. Sometimes things don't always work out with complete compatibility. Even though you bought your PS2 in 2002 and the adapter came out in 2001, you probably got an "old batch" that didn't get the firmware or whatever updated.

The third is to not use Sony gaming products. Voice your opinion with your money and get Microsoft or Nintendo products instead. Sell off your PS2 and games.

Sorry if I sound harsh but to tell Sony to "F"-off when they are working beyond their well established warranty to reach a compromise that benefits both them and you is just plain silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

The thing is, when you pay retail price for a *new* item, you're entitled to an unsed item that does what it is advertised to do. Now, a couple of years later, Sony is advertising that you can go online with this item. If the older items aren't compatible, you're still entitled to a *new* item that is compatible, seeing as how you paid retail price for a *new* item to work as advertised. Refurbished items are operationally new, but if a vendor were to sell an refurbished item as *new* they would be ripping you off. GunPanther's experience is a bit different, but Sony should bite the bullet and give the public *new* PS2's instead of refurbs, as a customer service outreach if nothing else.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, both my GameCube and XBox were refurbished used systems I got from EB. I have to assume they would do at LEAST as good a job as Sony would do with the PS2. And they work great for me.

Plus I had to send my PS2 in to Sony when the drive failed....for all I know, they swapped my unit (shrug). It still works great for almost two years now.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now you guys kinda got me worried got that list of serials that it won't work with. I bought my net adapter used it has all the discs etc, but not sure if it has all the paperwork, and I want to check before I get ready to go online with ff11 in a couple of weeks.

Sony could learn something from ms on this network stuff.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OK, you have a used 2-year-old system (it can hardly be described as 'new' any more, since it isn't) that won't work with the NA, and they are offering to replace it (at no cost to yourself) with a refurbished unit that will work with the NA. Where's the problem, exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Ps2 is refurbished and has been working fine of almost 2 years no problems. I'd say take up there offer and be doen with it.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default wha?...

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    OK, you have a used 2-year-old system (it can hardly be described as 'new' any more, since it isn't) that won't work with the NA, and they are offering to replace it (at no cost to yourself) with a refurbished unit that will work with the NA. Where's the problem, exactly?
    dingdingding!!!! we have a winnah!

memo to topic poster: going from paying for shipping to getting a free working replacement unit without paying a red cent is always a good deal. sometimes it's best to stop turning colours and see the light, as all you're doing otherwise is giving yourself angina.

after a warranty period expires (and unless there's a recall), sony (and a few other electronics companies) RARELY offers free shipping both ways (i have a bit of experience with them on repairs), so that was a pretty cool deal they silver plattered you. REFURBISHED isn't a bad word at all, especially as it means you're getting something that'll more than likely work better than what you have now, and it comes with a NEW 90-day warranty (if i'm not mistaken), so if the refurb system explodes and starts reading only boar's head sliced ham, guess what? they'll send you another with a warranty as well.

there's a part of the american consumer that demands perfection in everything they own, and while it's a commendable tendency, sometimes you have to bend a bit (and not get bent or bent over in the process). REFURBISHED doesn't mean ghetto lay-away pawnshop goodies with the roaches shaken out. REFURBISHED means that this damn system is going to work or you can write a paper letter to someone up top who will probably see that you're a happy consumer a few days after your letter is read (try it, it works most times). hell, lexus sells REFURBISHED recent makes, but calls them something like "guaranteed preowned" or somesuch other classy buzzword that doesn't stop them from flying out of the lots.

if you had bought your PS2 within the last month or three and they pulled that, it would be worth you ranting like a loon (and hell, i'd join you in that march), but two years, man... hell, if you're really set on having your way, just have them pack the refurb innards in your OLD case and send it back to you... x_x

oh, and guess what? you get a NEW controller, power, and AV cable in that white and blue refurb unit box, AND there's a good chance that they'll be sending you game demos in the mail shortly afterward...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    The thing is, when you pay retail price for a *new* item, you're entitled to an unsed item that does what it is advertised to do. Now, a couple of years later, Sony is advertising that you can go online with this item. If the older items aren't compatible, you're still entitled to a *new* item that is compatible, seeing as how you paid retail price for a *new* item to work as advertised. Refurbished items are operationally new, but if a vendor were to sell an refurbished item as *new* they would be ripping you off. GunPanther's experience is a bit different, but Sony should bite the bullet and give the public *new* PS2's instead of refurbs, as a customer service outreach if nothing else.
    That WOULD be nice having a nice minty machine, but customers will try to keep pushing the envelope. Okay, so they hand out new machines. A person could say "well, I paid $199 for it and this is worth $149. I want the difference as well". Laugh at that if you will, but even when I did Product Protection Plan replacements at Sears for same items but different prices (item got cheaper) the customer usually inquired and sometimes DEMANDED the price difference.

The warranty states that Sony will repair or replace at their choice during the warranty period if found defective. There's the key word: DEFECTIVE. Is Gunpanther's PS2 defective? No, it does everything it's supposed to do at when it was built in the factory. If the package on the adapter said "works on all PS2s" instead of the "May not work on all PS2's" (or whatever the print said) then I'd be lightin' torches. In this case, Sony knew that the adapter may not work on some systems and stated so on the package. So this is not a "defect" as such but a compatibility issue which may technically not be covered under warranty (especially one year and nine months later).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just some thought thrown out here...

A brand new system is a mass produced, untested system. No one has looked at it to make sure everything is working without fault and that it's compatible with everything, etc etc.

Where as a refurbished system is a system that looks just like new, and has been looked at, tested, professionally reworked by a Sony technician.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have a Refurbished system than a New one anyday.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    The problem with your logic is this little thing called depreciation.

No matter what you buy it depriciates and when something happens to it you are not entitled to get full ratail for it, but you get the depriciated amount.

Like tires , cars , anything that is covered by insurance or warranty.

That's the way life is. If you were the one selling items wold you think it fair to have to give someone a new item or full retail for an item that has been used and worn out ?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

oh, and guess what? you get a NEW controller, power, and AV cable in that white and blue refurb unit box
    No he won't. I've sent my system back to Sony due the DRE problem. All they have you send in is the console itself, with no hookups or anything. They sent me back either my PS2 fixed, or a refurb. I don't even know which. But you get to keep your controller and hookups. I'm just saying that getting a refurb from Sony isnt like buying one at gamestop. You don't get a little refurb package or anything. But in any case what people are saying is right; it will work better than yours, and be clearer, and it will look completely brand new. You should stop whining and send it in. Considering that your system hasnt been under warranty for a long time, they arent obligated to do a damned thing for you, and they are only doing it because they have a decent attitude when it comes to customer service and realize that it isnt your fault that the NA wont work with your unit.

Some of you people get so mad that Sony doesnt come out with some press statement admitting that there were flaws with the earlier PS2s and apologizing for it, but that would be really bad for the company. Their sales would probably go down because some potential new customers would lose confidence in the Sony name and go buy an Xbox or GC or whatever. All I know is that when my PS2 started having DRE problems, I called them up and they offered to fix it for free, and I bought my system at launch, so its like 3 and a half years old. They could have just said "oh well, this happens to older electronics hardware sometimes", but they didnt say shit. All they did was make sure that I havent modded it or otherwise fucked with it and they fixed it in a timely manner and sent it back for free. All it cost me was about $10 to ship it to them. They paid for the return shipping. Maybe I'm just a Sony "fanboy" but to me an out-of-warranty repair for $10 is pretty damned good.

All I'm saying, is that their willingness to fix or replace hardware for free IS their admission that they did something wrong, and that they are willing to make it right. As far as giving you an BRAND NEW system, dude quit being a spoiled fucking brat and meet them halfway.

You may go ahead and flame me now...

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Jibbajaba"]

No he won't. I've sent my system back to Sony due the DRE problem. All they have you send in is the console itself, with no hookups or anything. They sent me back either my PS2 fixed, or a refurb. I don't even know which. But you get to keep your controller and hookups. I'm just saying that getting a refurb from Sony isnt like buying one at gamestop. You don't get a little refurb package or anything. But in any case what people are saying is right; it will work better than yours, and be clearer, and it will look completely brand new. You should stop whining and send it in. Considering that your system hasnt been under warranty for a long time, they arent obligated to do a damned thing for you, and they are only doing it because they have a decent attitude when it comes to customer service and realize that it isnt your fault that the NA wont work with your unit.

Some of you people get so mad that Sony doesnt come out with some press statement admitting that there were flaws with the earlier PS2s and apologizing for it, but that would be really bad for the company. Their sales would probably go down because some potential new customers would lose confidence in the Sony name and go buy an Xbox or GC or whatever.
    First off, they released the PS2 I have WITH bugs (eg; Incompatibility issues with the NA). What went wrong there? It's the R&D as well as testing that went wrong.

What about the press statements? I don't remember ever hearing about any incompatibility issues from anyone, anywhere, through the internet or through the local word-of-mouth avenues. Had they issued an actual press statement either through magazines, mailers (yes, I receive Sony related ads directly from Sony) or even on their us.playstation.com website, I probably wouldn't even be in this predicament because I would have done more research on the NA. I was initially under the general impression that the NA would work with ALL PS2 units simply because no one ever said anything about it. As a consumer who would trust a Sony brand item over almost anything else, I took a 'leap of faith' with the NA and ended up falling and ultimately hitting the ground. All because I happened to be part of a small percentage of owners that own an incompatible PS2.

Was Sony worried about the possible 'bad press' that they would receive if they made a big announcement? Of course they were. That's probably why they downplayed the whole thing and let it 'slip' through their major press announcements. Sure, it's still indicated on the package and through their website but that info is a bit difficult to find because they made it difficult to find on purpose.

Would they lose money? Of course. Every company that releases a product with 'defects' loses money, but can either lose or gain the trust of their customers by 'making it up to them'. To me, if Sony had bit the bullet and just released a widespread press statement about the NA, they would have lost a sale on the NA but they would have gained my respect and reinforced my loyalty to them because they were willing to really expose their mistake and hopefully correct it. I would still probably buy an NA, but would have done so after doing research on it.

As it stands now, Sony has lost a bit of my respect due to this NA incompatibility issue.

Sony initially declined my request to have them reimburse the shipping charges to them but then offered to pay for the shipping to and from my location with the only catch being that I would receive a refurbished PS2. To me, that's an insult to my intelligence and common sense.

I'm not like the majority of consumers who simply use, abuse and ultimately 'throw away' or replace their console with the next best thing. I'm a collector, and as a collector, I find it insulting that Sony would expect me to treat my electronics like non-collectors do. I find ways to circumvent and band the rules to most stores and retailers because I'm what's considered as 'cunning & savvy'.

I try to play by the rules but it seems that manufacturers and retailers don't really like to have any liability when their products don't work properly.

I can easily 'scam' things but I choose not to go down that route because it's not only time consuming but it also hurts the manufacturer in the end.

Companies like Sony are why people with my disposition even exist.

[quote="Jibbajaba"]

All I'm saying, is that their willingness to fix or replace hardware for free IS their admission that they did something wrong, and that they are willing to make it right. As far as giving you an BRAND NEW system, dude quit being a spoiled fucking brat and meet them halfway.

You may go ahead and flame me now...

I posted this message in an open forum to voice my displeasure at Sony's business practices and get feedback (either positive or negative), not to be insulted by people like you.

As for flaming you, I see no point in doing so because it's apparent that people like you don't understand the depth of this argument and simply revert to spouting insults because they they lack the intelligence or common sense to argue in an open forum correctly.

(Still can't understand Jibbajaba? I'll stoop down to your level then....)

I didn't ask you for your particular opinions Jibbajaba, so why don't you just shut your fuckin' piehole, stop typing and keep your petty little insults and comments to yourself, you mindless fuckin' drone. If you had any common sense in that brain of yours, you'd see the point that I'm trying to make.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

It isn't that I am arguing incorrectly, it's that I am not saying what you want to hear, and neither are most people here, and that's pissing you off. I simply have the misfortune of being the last one to post before you came back and read all the responses. It's obvious that most people don't agree with you. And if you werent asking for my "petty little opinion" then ou wouldnt have posted this topic in the first place. Sony is offering you a good deal, but it isn't good enough for you because you are so pissed with them and their product. Honestly what you should do is get rid of your PS2 and play something else, because it is obvious that your dissatisfaction with Sony runs so deep that you will never again be happy with their product.

Now go ahead and say something moronically childish like "shut your fucking piehole" and then blame it on your need to "stoop to my level."

This is the kind of shit that happens when High School lets out for the summer and 15 year olds have too much time on their hands. (Yes I'm talking about you)