Thread: A General Harvest Moon question...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A General Harvest Moon question...

I have never played any games in the Harvest Moon series; however, the idea of it interests me, but I am not sure...

I played a friend's Animal Crossing for a while and was entertained by it, but I soon became very bored with it due to the repitition.

I read a few reviews of each game, but none of them really explained what is so addictive about the Harvest Moon series. If someone could explain that to me, I would appreciate it. Also, if I decide to pick it up, should I go for the GBA or the GC version?

Thanks,

Todd

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Unlike Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon actually has goals, and an ending although in most games you can play past the end of the game. You'll probably want to get married and have children, which are obviously long term goals to work on.

So in it's own way HM can be more rewarding, alot of the gameplay's repeatative. Every day each moth you follow the same routine, but once a month that routine's broken by a festival, or occasionaly interupted by rain ( if it rain's you pretty much get a day off to spend in the village). And every month your routine changes because of the seasons. So by the time you get bored of doing one thing, you switch to another. And then of course you have the choice between focusing on crops or livestock.

You also have to squeeze in your own time for a social life, and certain stores are only open on certain days and times, so you'll find yourself juggling your schedule to get everything done.

Also in the PSX and GBA there's a lot of hidden stuff to unlock, you could spend months on the game trying to do everything. Special tools, golden milk and eggs, collecting recipes, catching all the fish, marrying the Harvest Goddess, unlocking the green house, upgrading your house, finding all the golden lumber, etc... etc...

If you're just getting into the series I'd download the SNES rom, it's the simplist version of the game, but still one of the best.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

And if you like the SNES one, pick up the new GBA game. It's the best of the bunch. It retains the classic gameplay and feel of the eariler Harvest Moon games, and is really just a improved version of the PSX game. The GC one is fun, but VERY different, mostly due to the 3D look and other gameplay differences. I sold that one, but I'm still playing on my GBA.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think as if you're not absolutely sure whether you likeHarvest Moon Games or not, you should probably go for the GBA version, or as Daria suggested for the SNES version.
    I haven't played Friends of Mineraltown that much yet, but it seems there are more things to do and to discover than in A wonderful Life. So it would probably keep you interested for a longer time.
    AwL is also a nice game, e.g. because your child gets older, which isn' the case in the GBA version as far as i know.
    But the Game has not enough festivals or other activities to provide some contrast to the daily feed-the-cows-and-water-the-plants routine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I believe your child grows up in both the GBA (PSX) and N64 versions of Harvest moon, just much less noticeable than the GCN version. The span of the games was rumoured to be 30 and 20 years respectively, but you have to play through each and every one of those years. (each year in those versions is about 120 days, GCN version's year is about 40 days--days last longer)

Although they are open ended, some do have a requirement to make them such. The PS2 version you have to make a successful farm in a short amount of time, the GCN version you have to woo a wife within a year, and the PSX you have to make a successful farm within 3 years (N64 & SNES I'm blanking on requirements). If you don't do those things, the game will end. If you do those things, there's a chance for the game to go on for what seems like forever. Even so, there's a ton of things that are near-impossible to get in three years like a Mountain Home, Cottage, etc.

The hardest part about the GCN HM: AWL is the cross breeding of cows and crops.

I still stand by my opinion that the N64 version is the best yet and the Greenhouse is the best expansion you could buy.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe one of yo can help me connect the gcn and gba versions. I do everything they say on the gcn version but it never connects to the gba version can ya help. please!!1
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To connct the games, go to the three dwarves (or what ever they are called) in AwL and talk to them. When they say something that the connection doesn't work - don't quit.
    Go to the lake/waterfall near the hot springs in FoMt and throw some grass or whatever item you want into the lake.
    The Harvest Goddes will appear and the connection should work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

There's fluke in the US version where the GBA Harvest Goddess says "Do you want to Stop Connection?" Push yes, and it will start the connection.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info on Harvest Moon. I am going to give the GBA version a shot... I would check out the SNES or N64 versions, but my collection doesn't go past the NES.

Thanks,

Todd

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i may have joined this party late but since i am an absolute harvest moon FREAK i'll besput my 2 cents in.
    I will say that for a rookie HM on PS2 is the best place to start. it's stripped down and simplified.
    The SNES version, you have TWO years to achieve your goals; after that its freeplay. your goal is to make a success out of the farm.
    N64, same goal. n64 is the most utterly complex of the versions i have played, although the ps1 version is sitting here waiting for me to find time for it.