Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best PC Gamepad?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best PC Gamepad?

This has been buggin me for a while...i used to have this Gravis gamepad but it kept messing up so i sold it....bit the prob is i really want a GOOD QUALITY PC gamepad.....can anyone help me find a good one? wha do you use and what do you recommend...i know x-arcade arcade conrtol deck things are awesome, but i really want a controller i can hold to play NES/SNES Roms you know?
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know exactly what you want

Failing that, Logitech make a nice game-pad- looks like a psone controller except lighter and dark blue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, if you don't need analog-sticks and all that stuff you should grab a "Gravis Gamepad Pro", it basically a SNES pad with a PS pad shape
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Those Smartjoys look cool. If you're doing SNES emulation, then there's no doubt that those are the way to go.

However - if you do not need analog sticks, then I would recommend the original Microsoft Sidewinder. Great design, great gamepad. I use it for all my gamepad needs that don't involve analog.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Heh, I use a ACTUALL SNES controller for my SNES gaming. Same for my NES and Genesis.

But for regular PC gaming, I swear by two controllers -- a Gravis GamePad Pro for most normal things, and a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for the games that need a stick.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    well, if you don't need analog-sticks and all that stuff you should grab a "Gravis Gamepad Pro", it basically a SNES pad with a PS pad shape
    I'll 2nd the Gamepad Pro. Works great an dplenty of buttons to map for FPS and you can successfully emulate a SNES gamepad for snes emulation!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape

Failing that, Logitech make a nice game-pad- looks like a psone controller except lighter and dark blue.
    i have heard A LOT of bad things about this controller...sumthin about the calibration of the dpad, alwaus messes up...which sucks cuz this is the one i really want
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    However - if you do not need analog sticks, then I would recommend the original Microsoft Sidewinder. Great design, great gamepad. I use it for all my gamepad needs that don't involve analog.
    I too, use the MS Sidewinder, it is perfect! right balance, light and really easy to use!.. and it's works just great with emu's and i love kickin ass with it on KOF 2002 and Garou Mark of the wolves... Andy is the shhhhhhh!! Ooookay! fight!

..XS

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im gunna check out that SNES to USB Adapter...cuz come on, whats better than playin a SNES game with a SNES controller?

edit:
    or should i get this one?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3833&

its cheaper and its for the ps/2 controllers which have more buttons...im that that big of a fan of the ps2 controller, but its probably the most plain you can get, while still have a lot of buttons...what do you guyz think?
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the Microsoft Sidewinder. I lucked out and got one for 50 cents a few weeks ago, so now I play Darius Gaiden with it. Good times.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape

i have heard A LOT of bad things about this controller...sumthin about the calibration of the dpad, alwaus messes up...which sucks cuz this is the one i really want
    I bought this one a few weeks ago (the Logitech Dual Action). Works perfectly for me, and I would recommend it to anyone. Only $20 too.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does anyone have any experience with those PS/PS2 to USB convetors that they have at lik sang?
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this one:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3176&

it works GREAT for me. i think i got if off ebay. I can't get the rumble to work, but I know it does because it has worked before...so don't count on the rumble working. also, doesn't work with my universal soul callbur II joystick (and i've heard the universal pelican arcade stick doesn't work either, but the ps2 one is supposed to). also works great with my custom arcade stick built off a psx controller.

sometimes you have to trick it a little tho:
    -to get analog function: you have to HOLD down the analog button on the psx controller and plug it in.
    -to get an old-style psx controller to work you have to plug in a dual shock into the other slot.
    -there is some trick to getting a dance pad to work also, but don't know it cause i dont' have one.

i know that seems like alot of exceptions, but it really does work great...you just have to pick if you want digital or analog before you plug it in (or unplug and replug)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a Kiky Joy-X, it lets you hook a ps1 controller up to your PC. Just download the drivetr from the website, because the included one crashes a ton of games.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I use a PS2 controller on my PC. Radio shack sells PS2 (or PSOne) to USB connectors for $5 (Plung and play no drivers required) and I think it works great for all sorts of emulation.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radio Shack hmm???? sounds like ill be headin to the mall tommorow !
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I use a PS2 controller on my PC. Radio shack sells PS2 (or PSOne) to USB connectors for $5 (Plung and play no drivers required) and I think it works great for all sorts of emulation.
    My local Radio Shack charges $17 for a gameport to USB adapter. x_x I'm thinking about getting a PC controller myself. I'll probably get a Sidewinder if I can find one for cheap somewhere.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

from what ive seen onlnie and from what im experienced....PC gamepads suck, and crap out on you so fast in all sorts of ridiculous ways...i havent have console controllers crap out on me, so i think the best bet is to buy an adapter
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Algol
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    My local Radio Shack charges $17 for a gameport to USB adapter. x_x I'm thinking about getting a PC controller myself. I'll probably get a Sidewinder if I can find one for cheap somewhere.
    $17? o.O

I originally paid $10 for mine, but then my boyfriend started using it so much he wouldn't give it back. When he finally went to buy his own they had been marked down to $5. Granted that was at least a year ago, but I didn't think the price would have changed that drastically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm currently using a couple Sidewinders on my PC; one is the "Plug & Play" gamepad with 4 face buttons, and the other is the "Game Pad USB" with 6 face buttons (ala Saturn). Both are farily good controllers, although the 6 button pad is much better, and more comfortable.

However, I have one major beef, and it pretty much ruins the controllers for me. The joypad is over-sensitive. I'll try to explain it as best I can. You know how, say, the GBA's pad has four set directions, which never bleed into each other. You can't, say, hit right at an angle and get a diagonal in response.

The Sidewinders are the exact opposite. You hit right at anything resembling an angle, you get a diagonal. This is jsut murderous when precise movement is required. Pac-Man, for instance. You're always turning the wrong direction, because you pressed left and turned down instead.

Maybe most of you won't mind this, but it drives me batty, and this has long been a problem with joypads. This is, for me, the gold standard, what seperates a good controller -- PS2, Saturn -- from a lousy one. Most of the joypads made for the PC are the lousy ones.

So Microsoft makes better controllers than most, but what good is that? Go find an adapter, so you can use a real console joypad, made by people who know what they're doing. That's my two yen; take it for what you will.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!