Thread: True love (or....Ain't Love Grand?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default True love (or....Ain't Love Grand?)

Well, I've discovered that my wife....REALLY is the perfect woman for me. Now, you might think this belongs in Off Topic, but be patient gentle (but attention span impaired) readers.

As you may or may not know, I recently became the proud owner of a Neo Geo MVS system. This is NOT my first system. I have many, and my wife faithfully rolls her eyes every time I get the latest toy. She's become inured to me getting all sorts of new things, and almost invariably dislikes them. She is now able to almost completely ignore the invariable "Hon...come check out THIS game! I think you'd like it!" In fact, rarely does a game get a chance from her anymore except ones with flashy graphics. And not even those often times. But today....today I heard those four magic words. The words that every red-blooded man longs achingly to hear from the woman he loves:

"This game is fun!"

Unbelievably, wife found a game she REALLY likes! And, to my amazement, it's a GOOD game...one of the best games ever made. That's right.....my wife is a METAL SLUG FAN!!!!!! I happened to pop in Metal Slug 1 into my new Neo Geo cab today (thank goodness I've been stockpiling MVS games!) and she saw it and asked me "What's that?" I said "It's Metal Slug, come try it. It's really fun!" and then completely got engrossed in the game. She watched for a minute....then pumped some credits into the machine and away we went! We blasted our way through the first three full levels of Metal Slug, and she wanted to play more! Having only Metal Slug 1 and 3 I didn't want to finish the whole game the first try with a ton of credit feeding so we stopped at the end of level 3 when we both died. Then she said "Are you sure we can't play a bit more?" Wow.....true love indeed

Later this very same day, she went back to her mom's (where the cab is) to do some laundry while I stayed home to do some stuff. When she got home, she gave me a sheepish look and confessed that she'd actually gone back to the machine and played more Metal Slug while she was doing laundry! She didn't get too far, but I could tell she really liked it

To make a long story short, my wife has given me a totally unexpected and wonderful feeling in sharing yet another interest with me...the Neo Geo. She's already a Wind Jammers and Puzzle Bobble fan, and this just makes things all the better. Who says gaming and love can't go hand in hand?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on though. Who doesn't love the metal slug?
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

When I first started reading this I thought you were going to say that your wife has gotten hooked on Neo-Geo Bust-A-Move. That one always reels in the lady types. But Metal Slug? That's a keeper you married there, Max

But I know how this feels. For us married gamer/collectors, there's little quite as gratifying as getting your spouse sucked into a game. Sort of gives you a little bonus slack with your better half. Mrs. Pantechnicon tends to gravitate towards the puzzle games: Bust-A-Move, Dr. Mario etc. Her all time favorite is Klax on MAME. I could light her on fire while she's playing that and she wouldn't even notice.

Game on, Mr. and Mrs. Maxlords

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Gee, I was thinking of the old dating sim game True Love when I saw the topic title. Whoops.

Glad to hear it, Max.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Come on though. Who doesn't love the metal slug?
    Agreed.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was thinking this was an X post, lol...(for those that know the band). anyway, congrats! women love metal slug for some reason. when i went to that gaming party in tribeca, there were 2 girls playing ms 3 on the xbox when i walked in the door. i ended up sitting in on a level with one of them just for the hell of it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great stuff.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny enough, when I first heard this warming little store, my girlfriend was sitting behind me playing Magical Drop II on my MVS. Good stuff.

My girlfriend's overall favorite Neo Geo MVS game? Samurai Shodown V
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!