Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moral dilemma regarding found games, opinions needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Not Right!

Quote Originally Posted by DStriemer
    I would take him to court for unpaid rent, damages, and if things are really bad, lost rent due to inability to rent the property out again for whatever period of time.
    That's all well and good, but I doubt that's going to happen. If this was me we were talking about, I'd do it, but it sounds like the place has already been cleaned up a good deal.

What I'm going to say is that nobody needs to find out about these games.

We will forget we had this conversation in 24 hours.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Not Right!

[quote="Ed Oscuro"]
    Quote Originally Posted by DStriemer

We will forget we had this conversation in 24 hours.

Mods delete the evidence

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to point out that we're supposed to be talking about a moral, not a legal dilemma. If you read the entire story, I don't see how there are any moral violations here if they decided to keep everything. I love the "blame the victim" mentality. Give me a break...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you already thought about taking them then just do it. Forget all these live honest goody goody sugestions and take them. As I heard someone say once "It's only illegal if you get caught". Don't stress out over it whatever you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 dollars says she took em. Hell you have to get something for working your ass off cleaning someone elses filf.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed she took them =D. Amazed that people could think this over for so long, I would have seen, taken, not cared and not asked advice .

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a bit older than most of you guys. I'd go with your conscience.

If it feels wrong don't do it.

Believe me, you can't put a price on a good nights sleep.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

leave the door unlocked, this loser will think he left it open when he picked up some stuff,,, doesnt sound like anyone could trash it worse,,,, take anything of value and hock it, then buy games and take your grandma to a fancy dinner.

anyone who (trashes someone elses house and) doesnt pay rent is considered a squatter. sure they have rights, but cant rightly sue you for not keeping the house theyve not moved out of secured. id be tempted to take the front door off and tell the guy he has until the house is emptied to get the rest of his crap out. this is legal. then take what you want.

he owes you guys for damaging the house and back rent. $25 worth of games he isnt going to miss seems more than fair.

just dont forget to take grandma to a nice dinner afterward.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

AFAIK, once evicted, if a tenant abandons his stuff and comes to get it after (x) amount of time...check your local laws...you can charge a storage fee. If the fee is unpaid, you can throw the shit out. Or say you did. Hey, if new tenants are moving in, you have the right to get rid of that shit. You gave the fucker 30 days to get out and you are only doing him a favor at this point by even letting him get any of his shit. Give him an ultimatum to get the shit out and then throw everything out. Games included. Of course, if the trash bin the games end up in happen to be your game room, so be it.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would suggest that you would take the games. This story reminds me of a story which happened to my family a few years ago:

A few years back my family had contracted with a guy to build a patio area onto the side of our house. Anyway, we contracted with him to do so, and things were looking rather good for us. However, he stopped showing up, was thrown in jail for dui, and only 1/8 of our project was done. To make matters worse, he didn't even purchase all of the materials needed and used our money to pay off another guy which he owed money too.

To make a long story short, this we eventually sued this guy and had a sherif sale on the goods in his house, to get a bit of the money back that he owed us. We got a few TVs and a few tools, there wasn't much for the taking.

But to make a long story short, sometimes you can't be the nice guy. We were too nice with this guy, giving him three or four chances, feeling bad for him at first (after he was jailed for dui) and so on. Some people are just not worth wasting your time and energy on, so I see nothing wrong with taking the games without feeling bad. I mean, this guy also left a really big mess for all of you to clean up, not something that you should have had to clean.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, just as a little update as to what's going on (if anyone actually cares): the guy's stuff is STILL there. He hasn't come back to pick up anything since that one day weeks ago. We've removed pretty much everything of his from the house (with the exception of a couch upstairs). It's all loaded into the garage, which isn't locked up. If anyone wanted to go in and steal stuff, they could. As I said a long time ago, if the games were the only thing he lost, he should consider himself lucky. I have a feeling he isn't going to come back, though. My dad's putting off dealing with the mess, so the guy has till August to get the stuff. If it's still there at that point, we'll have try to sell it at a garage sale before the summer is over. I'm guessing if we do that we'll get at least some of the money made during the sale (not to mention we could take the TVs and whatever else we want), which would be nice. We've already worked there several days, and my dad's keeping track of the hours in order to pay us eventually. I'm happy to help him, so I'd do it even without getting any money (but goodness knows us poor college students could use any and all extra cash we can get :P ).

Oh, and the last day I was there I had to pick up a dirty pair of little girl panties and this Burger King drink that had been sitting there for all eternity. The drink was leaking all over the shelf and floor, and it was some bizarre green ooze. o_O Then later I accidentally put my knee right in a spot where some of it leaked. >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Oh, and the last day I was there I had to pick up a dirty pair of little girl panties
    TMI
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Funk Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Oh, and the last day I was there I had to pick up a dirty pair of little girl panties
    TMI

yea....thats just NASTY
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, the mystery as to where the systems that those games were played on went has been solved.

Just recently my boyfriend thought he spotted a box with controllers and stuff buried deep beneath a mountain of crap loaded into the garage. I took a look as best I could, and it didn't appear to be anything of interest (which I told him). It had been a long, hot day of hard work, so I told him not to worry about it (he was already moving furniture and boxes, hehe). The next day we went to work he was stubborn and determined to check out the box, so he dug it out of the mess. Boy was I wrong when I said there was nothing of interest in it... In the box was:

A 1st model SNES that was a little dirty, but appeared to be barely used and like new with the AC adapter and RF
    2 official SNES controllers
    1 third party SNES controller (InterAct Super Pad)

A black N64, slighty dirty, but in excellent condition (with the original jumper pak), the AC adapter, and the A/V cord (cut in half o_O )
    A red official N64 controller (not used much; its stick is even better than the ones on my N64 controllers)

A 1st model PlayStation (with the back port; a 1998 model) covered in bird shit but otherwise pretty nice, the plug, and the A/V cord (with each cord separated completely from the others)
    2 original non-analog/rumbling controllers, also with bird poop on them
    A grey official PlayStation memory card (more bird crap)
    Razor Freestyle Scooter inside the PlayStation

I also found Mario Golf for GBC in there, the manual for Gran Turismo, a Game Boy precaution booklet, and the manual for Beetle Adventure Racing on N64.

Now the new mystery is: If they saved a couple manuals, does that mean there could be manuals for the other games somewhere in the mess? AND what's up with the Beetle Adventure Racing manual? I've yet to come across the cart (or any other sign of the game), so there could possibly more games somewhere. The really funny thing is that I just bought Beetle Adventure Racing a couple weeks ago, and my copy came with everything BUT the manual, hehe. :)