Thread: PAL to NTSC help!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PAL to NTSC help!!

Ok..I'm getting a PAL Neo Geo CD frontloader. I'm in Canada, so I need to convert the power to NTSC, but I don't need one of those ridiculous expensive HK convertors, just something small and simple for one system. Anyone know what I should get? Or if not, does anyone know the amperage/voltage/etc. for PAL and NTSC so I can go to Radio Shack and get something that'll do the job?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please bump, I mean help!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not really simple to get PAL to NTSC converter as PAL outputs in 50 frames/sec while NTSC is 60. NTSC has 525 horizontal lines while PAL has more. Plus the color's on a different carrier frequency so PAL device would appear only in B&W on NTSC TV without conversion. At beat cheap converter would cut off the top and bottom part (which is usuallyt OK as most games were originally programmed for NTSC TVs and often had black border for PAL TV)

Also volt and amp has nothing to do with TV signal, it's for the power to the system. If the power supply for your system is not the same as what you use (ie 220v) than you will need to get a different power supply suitable for 110v AC outlets, Make sure the output voltage and amperage are the same as the original. Many consoles usually will do OK with 60Hz power source as opposed to European's 50Hz since the output's converted to DC and DC doesn't oscilate like AC do.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hate to bump a 4 year old topic, but I need help, and this is the only post I found on this.

Basically, I have a G7400 unit that is PAL (of course), and I have composite video out on it. I would like to convert this to NTSC so I can run it on an American TV set. I've looked around, and so far have come up with hardly anything. THe only thing I did find was a CMD-850 video convertor, which I bought, but it did not work with the game system.

Thus, does anyone on this huge forum know of a way to convert PAL to NTSC? Anyone? I'm at a total loss after a month of digging around the net.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, i have an easy and simple fix for all your PAL & NTSC woes...unfortunatly neither one of us will be traveling near one another in the forseeable future.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Well, i have an easy and simple fix for all your PAL & NTSC woes...unfortunatly neither one of us will be traveling near one another in the forseeable future.

Um... is this a fix, or just you way of saying you'll take everything off my hands!?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a web page out there with instructions on how to mod a G7400 to output RGB video, which is what I did with mine. I think some G7400's have RGB output built in, actually. This won't let you hook it up to a US TV, but it will let you hook it up to a 15khz RGB monitor from an Apple IIgs or Amiga and so on.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozyr
    Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

Um... is this a fix, or just you way of saying you'll take everything off my hands!?

I have a fix in the form of a mutli-format TV. I'm a bit unsure on how to send it (heavy) and i've yet to find someone close enough to me that is interested in it.

PAL & NTSC problems would be a thing of the past.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander
    There's a web page out there with instructions on how to mod a G7400 to output RGB video, which is what I did with mine. I think some G7400's have RGB output built in, actually. This won't let you hook it up to a US TV, but it will let you hook it up to a 15khz RGB monitor from an Apple IIgs or Amiga and so on.
    Okay, so now I can run this past my tech friend in the Netherlands! Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Push_Upstairs - I know about the Multi-TV sets. THere is a company in Chicago that sells them. That is one of my last sources that I will use if I can't find anything else.

Main reason they are last is that the TVs only have composite input - no RGB!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    If the funky colors don't bother you that much, you can just use an older TV with a manual vertical hold adjustment to correct the scrolling.
    Thanks. I have tried that. It works, to a point. The hold can be really tricky though - making the game screen jump every now and then - a pain if you are really playing a good game. I tried it, but gave up on this for now.

Plus, it is mostly black and white - a bit of color, but not much - at least not on what I've tried it on.