Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Center EXCLUSIVE: "Pokemon Box"

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pokemon Center EXCLUSIVE: "Pokemon Box"

I just read my latest issue of Nintendo Power and discovered a new Pokemon related peripheral that was only going to be available at a website or through a store in New York.

The product is called the "Pokemon Box" and it's used to transfer & store extra Pokemon from the GBA Pokemon games.

At only $19.99, it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal, especially since it'e a peripheral that Nintendo plans to be very limited.

Personally, it's been about 2 years since I last played a Pokemon game and I don't plan on starting again anytime soon, but I'm actually thinking about picking one of the Pokemon Boxes up.

Want more info?

Check it out below:

http://www.pokemoncenter.com/store/p...roduct%5Fid=12

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hrm... interesting, though I quit the pokemon games, what, 5 year ago? Maybe more? Hence I was still playing Pokemon Blue and Red, haha. Awesome games, but it seems that this Pokemon Box thing isn't compatible with them. If I was to start playing again, I'd probably play the old ones again though. For now I have far too many games to play, and a definate lack of interest in playing just about anything... lol
    "Life is wasted on the living" Zaphod Beeblebrox the 5th to Zaphod Beeblebrox the 2nd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's been a couple of years since I last touched a Pokemon game myself, but the prospect of owning a 'limited' item is enticing.

I look at this "Pokemon Box" as a type of send-away product, which it technically is, since you can only purchase it through 1 store in New York or through 1 website.

Then there's the possibility of people not even buying the item at all, which could possibly work for, or against a collector.

Take.... for example, the "X-Men" action figure collection released back in 1989/90. They had all of the popular 'main' characters from the X-Men comic books made into figures and all of them sold very well. From the heroic X-Men such as Cyclops, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Archangel & Storm, to the evil Mutants such as Juggernaut, Apocalypse and Magneto, all of the X-Men first series figures sold pretty well..... except for one figure. "Storm".

Maybe it was because boys didn't like to play with action figures that were girls? Or maybe it was because the Storm figure was an ugly action figure to look at? No matter how you look at it, the "Storm" action figure was always the 'short-pack' figure, meaning that there were only 1-2 storm figures in a case of 12 X-Men figures.

Slowly, these sotrm figures were found everywhere you went to buy X-Men figures and were soon considered to be "junk". I remember a situation where a local Toys R Us store had a whole endcap filled with Storm figures at a clearance price of $1.50 each (back when the figures still had an MSRP of $4.99-$5.99). They literally had hundreds of the Storm figure and no one was buying.

Lo and behold, a few months later, the Storm figures disappeared from a majority of retailers almost instantneously. Strangely enough, the Storm figure was now very, very difficult to come by.

Legend has it that Toy Biz (the original producer and manufacturer of the X-Men toys) recalled all of tbe unsold Storm figure stocks from all of the retail outlets and promptly had them slagged, recycled or even disposed of in a landfill (just like Atari's "E.T." debacle).

Next thing you know, the "Storm" X-Men figure was in high demand. It's 'current value' (for the 1990-92 era) had gone up in value 10-15 times of what the MSRP of the figure was. Comic shops and private collectors who had 'extra' Storm figures promptly put them up for sale or trade and made 'a killing' off of their initial investment.

From a lowly $1.50 to a staggering $50.00+, things changed all because of the demand for such a limited item.

Perhaps this same situation will happen with the "Pokemon Box"? We won't know until later, but I don't plan on missing out on it.

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

My guess is that it will drop in price if it doesn't sell that well. Pokemon Mini's were quite expensive this time last year ($40) and now they are $10 being clearenced out. But then, if the "storage software" sells, then Nintendo will probably market it nation-wide.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I wish their pre-order bonuses would be special e-Reader cards that would jack you up with cool items in the game. A way to get Deoxys, Mew, or Celebi would be nice.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i considered getting it, but i just dont really have a big interest in pokemon....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't either, but at $20, I'd rather not take a chance. Besides, the first releases (IF they do go nationwide) may be worth more. Hell, I may keep it sealed.. just like the Pokémon Colosseum Freebie disc I got from my store for free. (Since hardly ANYONE was buying that. The deal was over. It was the last one left. yay! It's mine!)

It's a neat idea. Using your Cube as an item storage box. But probably just a novelty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I don't either, but at $20, I'd rather not take a chance. Besides, the first releases (IF they do go nationwide) may be worth more. Hell, I may keep it sealed.. just like the Pokémon Colosseum Freebie disc I got from my store for free. (Since hardly ANYONE was buying that. The deal was over. It was the last one left. yay! It's mine!)

It's a neat idea. Using your Cube as an item storage box. But probably just a novelty.

hmmmm...good points....maybe i will be "wasting" some money on something else that i dont really need

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be getting it just cause I am in pursuit to a complete US cube collection. This is considered a game right?
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a good question.

It's not really a game, nor is it a demo disc. It's probably more of an accessory.

But I'll leave the decision up to the experts.

It'll most likely come packaged like a normal game or demo. But then again, it isn't really a standalone disc. It probably requires the GBA with a Pokémon game in it to work.

So.. hmm..

Accessory is my vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    My guess is that it will drop in price if it doesn't sell that well. Pokemon Mini's were quite expensive this time last year ($40) and now they are $10 being clearenced out. But then, if the "storage software" sells, then Nintendo will probably market it nation-wide.
    Pokemon Mini's?

Those are miniature figures, right?

See, you can't really compare the actiion figure business to the video game business because the consumer-base is different simply because the supply and demand vary greatly between toys and video game software or peripherals.

I see the "Pokemon Box" as an accessory, kinda' like the Hori Corporation's game franchise related peripherals released in Japan.

From the "Bio Hazard" memory cards & controllers to the "Final Fantasy" light up PS2 horizontal stand, those items are considered to be 'collectable peripherals'.

You have a point though.

I guess it all just depends on how it sells and how much longer Pokemon grips onto it's popularity.

GunPanther

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    <long quote>
    Pokemon Mini's?

Those are miniature figures, right?

GunPanther
    No, actually, Pokemon Mini is a tiny little system smaller than the size of my palm that looks sorta like a digital pet, but runs off of cartridges and can save data. The system has an infrared sensor in the top and a rumble motor inside.

I personally am considering buying Pokemon box because I have a friend who would like to use it, but I would simply like to own it.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Do Pokemon Minis interface at all with any of the Pokemon GBC cartridges with the infrared sensor (like Pikachu GS does)?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

http://www.pokemoncenter.com/store/p...oduct%5Fid=279

No, it's only with other Pokemon Minis. It's not so much of a Digital Pet since it's Cartridges have mini party games, card games, pinball, and puzzle games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Yeah I saw those at the pokemon center but if it doesn't help out with the games, I'm just not interested. The cards and the GB/GBC/GBA/GCN games are all I'm concerned with. I'll probably pick up Pokemon Box - it's not terribly expensive, it's a neat feature and allows one to play the GBA games on the GCN without the player (which I don't have), and it comes with a memory card to boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A Pikachu Ukelele?

...I've seen everything now! Looks like it could be a collectable (note their picture shows Japanese writing on it - wtj?)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HELL YEAH!!! baby I preordered mine about two weeks ago through the Pokemoncenter.com website and for preordering I am getting two free Pokemon badges. I absolutly LOVE Pokemon and at only $19.99 there was no way in hell that I was not buying Pokemon Box for the Cube. Pokemon Box ships out on the 12th, I soooo can't wait Take care everyone.

digitpress Jim
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For $20, it's actually a good deal even if you don't like Pokémon. It comes with a Link cable and a memory card.

Anyone know how big the card is? I am thinking it's probably 59 blocks. Especially for the price. (Cable = $10 + 59 Card = $10 = $20) And they probably have TONS of 59's left over. Actually, I think they should start delivering more games with free cards.

I too will be ordering this. Just to have.

Edit: Loking at the "More Info" Flash on the site, it shows a BLACK memory card which makes me wonder.. 251? Wow.. That would be a real deal!

Edit: Crap... I just pre-ordered it too.. And I don't even PLAY Pokémon!

Anyone know if PokemonCenter charges for pre-orders when they actually arrive in stock? Or when you order? Since it doesn't come out until next week, will I be charged next week? Or are they gonna charge me now? It didn't clarify on the receipt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

well, i said i would never order this thing, but i wanted another memory card and i needed a 3rd link cable (3 gbas and four swords, but i only had 2 cables) so i broke down and preordered this....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I haven't played Pokemon since I rented "Pokemon Silver" (I am trieing to find that game) But that Pokemon Box is cool!