Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Collecting (Box or No Box)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Genesis Collecting (Box or No Box)

I got the Genesis bug lately so I decided to go to my local Funcolands to see what I could find. Much to my surprise none of them were keeping Genesis boxes or instructions anymore. So now I have a dilemma, should I hold out and only collect those games that have boxes, or should I just give in and go for loose games?

Incidently, I'm in the market for boxed Genesis games if anybody has some for trade.

Tempest

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

99% of my genny games are boxed at least probly 95% are complete. its up to your preference if you want em boxed or not. i dont like loose carts for any system, but that's just me.

i might have a couple boxed games for trade, probly wont be anything good.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Must depend on the store, my local funco's got a dozen or so boxed games, and sometimes I find loose carts with the instructions. The SMS and Genesis are the only 2 cart based systems that I really like to get complete games for, but if the games hard to find, really cheap, or both, I'll buy it loose.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genny

Like I said about SNES there is no excuse not to collect complete copies as they are so plentiful at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personal choice, I usually hold out for boxed Genesis games as there always seems to be many out there. If there are some titles you really want, find them loose and are a decent price, I'd pick those up. But unless there is something you want mainly to play, I'd hold out for complete games.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say for the majority of Genesis games, collecting w/box games only would be fine. You'll still be able to find tons. As far as rarer games go, you should get those while you can, loose or not. For example, passing on a loose Exodus or Bible Adventures just because it doesn't have the box would be pretty dumb IMO.

I was just at the Gamestop in 12 Oaks Mall the other day, and I passed on some decent boxed games. That's out by you isn't it? That's a really crappy Gamestop though, their entire Genesis/SNES/NEs section fits into "on sale" kind of jobs.

And I've got a complete copy of Sorcerer's Kingdom, and a loose copy of MUSHA I'll trade right now. I could probably scrape up a complete copy of Pitfall too. Email me if you're interested.

-Hitman-

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boxes

Those boxes are important to me... they're part of what seperated the Genesis from other game systems of the time and a big innovation in this industry. Before Sega, most game companies were packaging their games in flimsy cardboard boxes that were quickly thrown away along with the instructions. I think the Genesis boxes helped discourage that, since their boxes were sturdy, useful, and seemed more valuable than those used for NES and Super NES cartridges.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Lately, I've been picking up any boxed Genesis games I can find now with the famous "buy 2 get 1 free" deal. No matter HOW BAD they are (Shaq-fu anyone?). If it's something I can't live without and it's a once in a lifetime (hopefully not though!) I'll pick it up. If I ever find a the same game boxed, I just trade away the loose one and go for complete.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not into collecting Genesis games (only collecting good non-sport games which amounts to about 1% of the entiure library :lol: ) but when I get a Genesis games, I'll try for CIB and I generally avoid loose game unless it's a desireable game that's cheap. One Funcoland store near me has about a dozen sealed Hard Drivin' for Genesis and a few other boxed or CIB games. I still have about $15 in store credit left plus I haven't tried selling the Game Factory or obsecure NES carts so who knows?

The other systems I do collect for _must_ be in complete unless it's mind-boggling, goin-grabbing rare (like Spiderman for 32X)

(PS I collect Intellivision, Virtual Boy (complete USA lot, need a few Japanese exclusives), 32X (need 3 non USA exclusives to complete), and Sega Master System.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've also grown fond of Genesis boxes. There's just something so architecturally satisfying about them, and they look great on a display shelf.

Tempest, if you're discouraged with the lack of boxed Genesis games at Funcoland, you might want to seek out any EB GameWorlds in your area. As far as I can tell, they don't get rid of boxes, and the stores in my area have just as many complete Genesis titles as they do loose carts. Of course, they use a pricing system similar to Funcoland’s, but you can sometimes find decent deals, like Truxton for $4.99 or Light Crusader for $2.99.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I am in the minority, I could care less about boxes for any system, unless the game is a cd. And even in those cases I don't usually keep the game in it's original case...I have Genesis boxes, but they are shoved in a tupperware crate in my basement. I just want the game, maybe sometimes the manual, but I don't care about the boxes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i go against the tide here, boxes take up a lot of room. once your collection really gets underway you'll probably have to deal with the space issue. besides that you can trade those boxes for more games, well sometimes, i've done it. i still have boxes of boxes that i post for trade every so often, like something for nothing to me. i prefer to store my SMS and Gen games loose in wall mounted cassette shelves.
    ________
    LIST OF MAZDA FACILITIES HISTORY
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want my local Cash Converters had a ton of boxed genny games last time I was in (Hard Cases) for 3 dollars each. If you want I could pick em up and send them too you. Im going tommorow so Ill need to know soon.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genesis Collecting (Box or No Box)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    I got the Genesis bug lately so I decided to go to my local Funcolands to see what I could find. Much to my surprise none of them were keeping Genesis boxes or instructions anymore. So now I have a dilemma, should I hold out and only collect those games that have boxes, or should I just give in and go for loose games?

Incidently, I'm in the market for boxed Genesis games if anybody has some for trade.

Tempest
    lol i've caught the Genny big too. Up until a couple of weeks ago, the only SEGA machine i'd ever owned was the DC. But when i laid eyes on the Genny 3...i had to have it! But i must say, out of the 16 bit era, the Genny boxes were definitely the best. SNES' boxes were designed like crap, and i refuse to keep em. Theyre just bulky, and can crumple easily. Same for the TG16...their cardboard boxes blew, BUT they had the luxury of kick ass jewel cases.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Yeah I suppose I'll go for boxed only unless they're rare. It just pisses me off that there are tons of loose ones and no boxed games. Do all Funcolands have that two for one sale on Genesis games?

I did pick up two loose games because I think they're fairly rare. Shove It and Asterix the Great Rescue. They cost me a total for $6. I also picked up the one boxed game they had: Earth Defense! And to think that one used to be rare...

Oh and I'm looking for just about any boxed Genesis game. E-mail me.

Tempest

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re:

BLAH BLAH ASK YOUR FUNCOSTOP GUYS TO HOLD BOXES FOR YOU, SO YOU CAN GET OVER 200 GENESIS BOXES FOR FREE (PROBABLY ABOUT 600+ COUNTING DUPES AND ALL SYSTEMS) BLA BLAH

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cmon!!!!

C'mon People! These are games we are talking about here! Sure the packaging is nice, but nine times out of ten, we can all do without the ugly-as-sin American box art and cheap black and white instruction manuals. Play the friggin games, and don't worry about the box and docs! As long as the game works, who cares how "complete" it is? When you watch a movie or play a record, you do it to be enjoy the efforts of entertainers, not to worry about if the cardboard sleeve is fuzzy around the edges! Worry about the games first, and then the condition. No one should turn down a copy of say, Target Earth because it doesn't come with an instruction manual. If you want to get boxed copies of everything, fine, but make playing the game your first priority, and buy the loose cart until you get a complete one !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the original cases for all my Genesis games exept Sonic the hedgehog 2. I keep the boxes because they are tough and make it easier for me to store my Genesis games neatly... that and I think they look cool on display.

The only reason I don't have a box for Sonic 2 is because it was a pack-in game with my Genesis II and they didn't bother to put the game in a case... I would like to get a box for it if I could... I finally found the manual after so long of missing it(about 2 years)... if I had a box for the game I likely wouldn't have lost the manual in the first place.

I don't like buying Genesis games without boxes but if I really want the game I will buy it even if it is loose.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Cmon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu
    C'mon People! These are games we are talking about here! Sure the packaging is nice, but nine times out of ten, we can all do without the ugly-as-sin American box art and cheap black and white instruction manuals. Play the friggin games, and don't worry about the box and docs! As long as the game works, who cares how "complete" it is? When you watch a movie or play a record, you do it to be enjoy the efforts of entertainers, not to worry about if the cardboard sleeve is fuzzy around the edges! Worry about the games first, and then the condition. No one should turn down a copy of say, Target Earth because it doesn't come with an instruction manual. If you want to get boxed copies of everything, fine, but make playing the game your first priority, and buy the loose cart until you get a complete one !
    Sheesh! Dude, calm down. :wink:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

You need to get out more...

Tempest